Floyd Mayweather Sr. doesn’t want his son to face Pacquiao

The_budweiser

Manny Pacquiao, fresh off his 11 round tko victory of Miguel Cotto is the talk of the town, and buzz and demand for a Floyd Mayweather Jr. vs. Manny Pacquiao super fight are everywhere.

In a recent article by Dave Mayo of the The Grand Rapids Press, Floyd Mayweather Sr. still believes Manny Pacquiao is on performance enhancing drugs and had this to say about a future Manny Pacquiao vs. Floyd Mayweather Jr.:

“If Floyd wants a really big payday he’s going to have to fight him next,” Mayweather Sr. said. “But if it was me, I wouldn’t fight him. Whether I could whip him or not, I wouldn’t fight him, because things ain’t right. I’m pretty sure that’s what it is.”

Pacquiao’s promoter Bob Arum is open to making the match up happen as long as Floyd Mayweather Jr. handles negotiation in a professional manner and not in the media or papers.

http://www.nowboxing.com/archives/4368

Roach: 'The world wants Pac-Man v Mayweather'

Freddie Roach has named Floyd Mayweather Jr as his favoured next opponent for Manny Pacquiao.

Pacquiao (50-3-2, 38 KOs) cemented his claim to be the best pound-for-pound fighter on the planet when he stopped WBO welterweight champion Miguel Cotto in the 12th and final round of their Las Vegas showdown at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

And having blown away box office blockbuster opponents Oscar de la Hoya, Ricky Hatton and now Cotto in consecutive fights over the last 12 months, the stage has been set for a fight to top them all against the undefeated Mayweather (40-0, 25 KOs).

The American returned to the ring from a short-lived retirement following his December 2007 victory over Britain's Hatton with a clinical unanimous decision win over Mexico's Juan Manuel Marquez.

Yet Mayweather's prior inactivity cost him his pound-for-pound top ranking status and all the talk has been of a mega-fight with the Filipino to settle the issue.

An exhausted Pacquiao refrained from revealing who he would choose to fight next, saying: "I'm just going to take a vacation first and spend time with my family and have fun."

But Roach was not so reluctant. He said: "The whole world wants to see him fight Mayweather and I want Mayweather."

Shane Mosley is another potential opponent for Pacquiao although he would first have to get past WBC welterweight champion Andre Berto, their fight having been set for January 30 in Las Vegas.

Source:

www.itn.co.uk

I want to see the fight but hope I don't...on that form Manny will beat any fighter within reach of his weight, including Floyd and considering Floyd has been relatively inactive since facing Hatton and retirement, I think he deserves to maintain his status in boxing without reproach...Lets face it two years ago PBF would have pissed on Manny without question!!

a very dangerous fight if it goes ahead for floyd. im sure hell want to retire like calzaghe with 0 defeats. but if he dosnt take this fight and then retires undefeated there will be alot of question marks surrounding his legacy. its a fight the fans defo want to see. lb for lb king title is up for grabs and a place in the history books

im not surprised floyd sr dosnt want mayweather to fight pacquaio

Fans are the most selfish feckers...they would rather see a fighter with next to no rounds to his name over a two rear period because of retirement...get beat and lose a legacy...so they can say he was'nt prime and argue the point on forums!!!

The fact he might want to protect his legacy and what he has achieved is used as a casepoint for cowardice and thats before they even take in to consideration one of the boxers is PRIME and the other is NOT!!!

Manny would'nt have lived with Pretty Boy a couple of years back...but he has the edge Now due to age and Not ability...this fight should be resigned to never happen for whatever reason, because to see Floyd get beat now would be a travesty!!

^^^ he just went 12 with marquez and he didnt look rusty at all. i dont want to see floyd get beat i just want to see him fight the best out there. in fact, i would probably favor floyd in the fight.

plus pacquiao's win over cotto eliminates the size excuse that pac is too small / floyd is too big, because pacman has proved himself at 147 against a top 2 guy (something floyd hasnt done)

age doesnt have anything to do with it, floyd and pacman are definitely in their primes

I don`t think age is the issue here, i think both fighters/trainers/promoters, chooses their fighter and fight date, carefully, i have seen many videos/ interviews, i saw one before the Floyd vs Marquez fight, where Roach was saying, yes of course we want Floyd, he just came out of retirement blah blah this is our chance, so they all fight each other when it benefits them in some way.

• 8 months later...

This whole drama surrounding May Pac is brought on by the perpetrator, the culprit himself. The Agent Provocateur Money Pretty Boy Floyd Jr.

Nobody is attacking him per say. Everybody who loves boxing or who has heard him talk want to see him back up all he said. Every single comment he made.

When you say you're the best then quite frankly you have to have something or have done something to substantiate your claim! Reputedly calling out opponents, claiming they are on steroids, telling the general public that if anyone wants to fight you then all he has to do is call you out. You get called out then ignore or make up excuses.

Every time he talks or gives interviews he gives everybody ammunition. Does he not contradict himself every time he speaks? I think he does.

With his talent, it's sad to see him not mix it up with the best in his division. I mean who fights opponents smaller than him. What a shame him fighting Marquez? What the F*** was that all about. Plenty of people in your own division to pick as a come back.

Talk the talk then walk the walk, right...?

I lost a lot of respect for Mosley concerning the whole EPO thing but before I had feelings about that, I felt that every boxer should follow in his foot steps. Move up in weight and go after tougher opponents if none are left in your division or for a challenge! Go after every one who presents a challange, prove your #1. Losing is a part of life. It's an ingredient to success. A piece of the pie. It really makes for a more interesting fight. All rematches are always interesting....

It's not that we want to see him get beat and a lot do, we want to see him fight the best is all. That's it. A lot actually feel he would prevail.

Posturing and trash talking got really old.

So anything that anyone says to May is only in reply to his bombast.

Money Is A Talent That Is Great! But A Great Fighter Fights Great Fighters! So He Can Brag About How Great His Talent Is And Show Of His Training Ability! But He Has To Fight Top Fighters To Prove His Greatness In The Ring And Not At The Speed Bag!!!