Amir Khan’s camp turn down Manny Pacquiao's fight offer

WelshDevilRob

Amir Khan’s camp turn down Manny Pacquiao's fight offer

By David Magilton »

BOXING: Amir Khan’s advisers turned down the offer of a fight with his stablemate Manny Pacquiao.

Promoter Bob Arum, the head of Top Rank, revealed that the Bolton boxer was offered the challenge of fighting the world’s No 1 pound-for-pound fighter this autumn.

But the offer was firmly rejected by his family insisting it was too early in his career.

“We were offered the fight a few months ago but it is not an option at the moment,” said his father Shah Khan.

“Maybe in a couple of years it is something we would look at but not at this stage.”

Arum, Pacquiao’s promoter, revealed that Khan, now the World Boxing Association light-welterweight champion, had been made the offer soon after the Filipino fighter had defeated Ricky Hatton.

Arum said: “Amir’s name was on the table, we offered him the fight, but his father, and his family felt it was too early in his career.

“Amir Khan has all the attributes of a great champion, and I think he’s going to be a superstar in the sport.

“Okay, so he had a loss in his career, he made a mistake, but he looks great now. It was a great performance which won him the world title against Kotelnik, and you can only see him getting better. I can definitely see Amir and Manny meeting in the ring down the line.”

The pair are stablemates at the Los Angeles Wild card Gym and are both trained by Freddy Roach, who claimed his 23rd world champion with Khan’s success.

Khan’s next challenge may be a first defence of his WBA light-welterweight title, with his promoter Frank Warren believed to be in talks with mandatory challenger Ukrainian-born New Yorker Dmitry Salita, 27, who is unbeaten in 31 contests.

Source:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk

Sorry but i find this hard to believe. I work in Bolton and that paper is rubbish.

Just what would Pac have to prove by beating Khan?

it is true!!!!!! believe me even khan.roach and khan's dad shah have admitted it.it was on the sky sports website..eastsideboxing aswell. it was shah who told amir not to fight manny

You dont surprise me Gemmell, Khan just isnt gonna bring in the sort of cash a mega fight with the likes of Cotto/PBF.. Im not calling you a lier as ive read similar stuff on other sites though i think this might be a bit of a publicity stunt from the Wildcard Gym.

Pac would demolish, and i mean demolish a young Khan. I cant see what the Bolton bigmouth would get out of it

My apologises on this one - it appeared today as latest news but was from the beginning of September.

I know from other boxing sites it was mentioned but whether it would have actually happened if 'Team Khan' said Yes is another thing. I think it was partly down to Arum wanting to get Khans name out there.

As someone mentioned it was probably just a publicity stunt for khan - firstly pacqiaou has got absolutely zero to gain out of fighting khan, and secondly it would be a bad move from khan's perspective - he's only just starting to repair the reputational damage from the prescott fight, wouldn't bode well to go in against such a warrior at this stage and get obliterated