Dirrell fails weight at weigh in

leerhodes

Just seen on the bbc that Direll has failed the weigh in and has been given some time before they weigh him again.

Aparantly its only 4 oz but this cant be good for his preperation.

If he doesnt make the weight carls belt will not be up.

Carl Froch was 1lb under the weight limit :-)

Andre Dirrell made the weight at the second time of asking ahead of the bout with WBC super-middleweight champion Carl Froch in Nottingham on Saturday.

Froch came in one pound under the 168lb limit, but Dirrell had to return to the scales after coming in four ounces overweight, eventually scaling 167.5lb.

American Dirrell later blamed a "misjudgement" for his excess weight.

The pair meet in the early hours of Sunday as the new Super Six super-middleweight tournament gets under way.

After making the weight, Dirrell, 27, said: "It was a simple misjudgment on my part, my scales at the hotel said I was on the weight.

"I didn't have to train yesterday or today so I haven't had to work hard to make the weight. In fact I was on the weight yesterday but it was just a misunderstanding."

Froch, 32, said: "He can say what he wants but to miss it by that much, he must have really struggled.

Andre Dirrell on the scales in Nottingham

Dirrell managed to shed his excess ounces within the time limit

"I'm a consummate professional and I never miss the weight. That's why I'm still punching hard in the last few rounds when the other guys are fading late on.

"It's obviously a good sign for me but I'm not going to waste too much time thinking about it. I'm better than him, stronger than him and I'm going to beat him regardless of the weight issue."

Froch won the WBC super-middleweight belt in his home city in December 2008.

He out-pointed Canadian Jean Pascal, before he dramatically knocked out Jermain Taylor in the final round of his first defence in Connecticut in April.

The contest in Nottingham will be Froch's first fight in the new Super Six tournament, which guarantees at least three bouts for its entrants.

Froch and Denmark's WBA champion Mikkel Kessler, who meets Andre Ward in November, will put their belts on the line and the Nottingham fighter - who has 20 knockouts from his 25 fights - is banking on home support to carry him to victory on Saturday.

"I think home support helps in a massive way," said Froch.

BEN DIRS BLOG

The Super Six concept is that rare thing, a triumph of common sense and concord in boxing

"I've been in America, fighting in front of Jermain Taylor's crowd all booing me and cheering him," added Froch, who is unbeaten in 25 fights.

"Even if a shot just misses your chin the crowd think it has landed and they cheer. You think 'this is bad' - you can feel it.

"When you get to round 10 or 11, you're feeling the pace and if the crowd are booing you, it doesn't help.

"I boxed Jean Pascal at the Nottingham Arena for my world title fight - and the crowd really lifted me, they really did."

Michigan-born Dirrell, who won a bronze medal at the Athens Olympics and has 13 knockouts from his 18 fights, has been in confident mood since arriving in England.

"I've had my best training camp ever and I'm ready to shiver Froch's timbers from stem to stern," he said.

Froch & Dirrell face-off

"This is step one in showing that I am the heir apparent to the throne Joe Calzaghe vacated as the king of the super-middleweight division, something Froch has never been able to achieve."

The Super Six series also includes German Arthur Abraham and American Taylor, who meet on 17 October.

In the first phase of the event, each fighter will face three different opponents over the next 12 months.

The four leading points scorers advance to the semi-finals, prior to a final in early 2011.

lol i wonder how many fighters over the weight have had a wank to get the last ounces off, im glad i posted just to get your reply, cheers the bud

snooker players and tennis player went bad then went for a shag and won

why if ur so skinny and struggling to lose weight, not go for a wank or a shaved head/haircut cut to lose 2 asprins worth of weight