Donaire vs Narvaez Spoilers

Joe Ko

narvaez fought a good defensive fight early, but after getting rocked in the 4th he seemed to eschew fighting back and just play peekaboo.

it stinks for donaire as that was a huuuuge opportunity to make new fans. if i were donaire/arum i would do everything possible to make donaire vs mares/agbeko. it would be an excellent fight that would sell tickets and get viewers and make sure that fans forgot about this narvaez fight

Nonito Donaire Jr: The Flash Streaks Through The Black Hole

Dateline: New York, New York, October 22, 2011 – Nonito “The Filipino Flash” Donaire Jr. steps in with a personality strong enough to light up an arena and electrify those watching him on Television all over the world. As the crowd’s attention was focused on the Filipino fighter, at the opposite corner, stood a brave little man from Argentina as if refusing to be consumed by the surging energy all around him. He was like a black hole, a practically invisible dot in the universe whose mystery serves an unwavering purpose of absorbing light.

When both boxers’ contract to fight was formally announced by Top Rank earlier this year there was very little ready information about Omar Andres Narvaez. Because of this it was hard for experts to make a solid prediction based on sufficient information and when he went up the ring of the Madison Square Garden today majority of the audience were watching him live for the first time. Perhaps one striking data boxing fans desperately held unto was his unbeaten record because they all long for an exciting fight. But there was nothing wrong with his anonymity stepping in against a popular fighter for it only deepened the enigma of the Argentine. And as Narvaez walked into the limelight like a blot he had an effect of a black hole whose diminutiveness is surrounded by such mystery so strong that no one could fully ignore.

The proud Argentine’s record of 35 wins 0 loss 2 draws (19 knockouts) coming in initially tells us that he is used to running the whole gamut based on experience and skill due to his considerable lack of power, and it showed right at the very first round that he was a slow starter, conserving much of his energy in preparation for a long fight. You could sense Nonito Donaire’s awareness of this as he controlled his usual early aggression. Round two of the fight and the Filipino lowered his left hand for the first time to invite a physical engagement but there was no response from the other end and the subsequent round was reset to measuring and keen observation just as in the first. People watching this were probably sharing the same thoughts with Nonito at that moment who must have been dead curios about what was in Narvaez’ head, what he was thinking, and what his plans were. Donaire Jr. was scouring for a break in the defensive field but there was none as the Argentine stuck to himself and offered no opening. He didn’t seem to be concerned of his lack of offense as he kept his guard up simply to block incoming punches, sucking it in. It reminded us of the Pacquiao versus Clottey fight, except that we barely know the undefeated Narvaez up to this point, and that lack of knowledge posed as a risk, after all, he could’ve been preparing himself by tricking his opponent into tiring him as a perfect set up for a climactic engagement near the end. The fact, too, that the Filipino fighter has been absent from the ring for quite a while was a valid concern. The mystic continues to unfold. Watchful eyes now fall on the peek-a-booing Argentine.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/blog/35-demo-content/31607-nonito-donaire-jr-the-flash-streaks-through-the-black-hole.html#ixzz1bbtIVNAs

The fight was interesting in the first 4 rounds but that big right from Donaire in the fourth wiped away any self belief that Narvaez had and the contest quickly turned one sided in favour of the Filipino superstar. All in all, it was a bit run of the mill.

narvaez fought a good defensive fight early, but after getting rocked in the 4th he seemed to eschew fighting back and just play peekaboo.

it stinks for donaire as that was a huuuuge opportunity to make new fans. if i were donaire/arum i would do everything possible to make donaire vs mares/agbeko. it would be an excellent fight that would sell tickets and get viewers and make sure that fans forgot about this narvaez fight

After that performance from Donaire I think Mares and Abeko are more than worthy challengers.

If you're Donaire you beg Uncle Bob to give you Arce. You literally get on your knees and beg for that fight, heck you offer to take Bobs wrinkley one down the throat for that fight. Arce brings viewers, he's got a style MADE for Donaire and it'll be a very fun fight as long as Arce lasts...as well as a title and he's also promoted by good old Bobo.

If you're Donaire you beg Uncle Bob to give you Arce. You literally get on your knees and beg for that fight, heck you offer to take Bobs wrinkley one down the throat for that fight. Arce brings viewers, he's got a style MADE for Donaire and it'll be a very fun fight as long as Arce lasts...as well as a title and he's also promoted by good old Bobo.

good point. i've read somewhere that they're looking at nishioka, who is a more viable opponent at 122 than arce but probably wouldn't be as exciting of a fight

good point. i've read somewhere that they're looking at nishioka, who is a more viable opponent at 122 than arce but probably wouldn't be as exciting of a fight

Nishioka would be a dangerous fight, both guys have very good speed, very good technical ability and very good power...but again both guys would rather be the counter puncher and it could end up being a bit of a dour fight. Personally I'd like it next summer, let Donaire have a fight at 122 first then put these to together, if the spring fight is Donaire v Arce then you have a unification bout on your hands and a fight for the clear top spot at 122.