Talented prospect vs Talented prospect, at Lightweight. Who RU backing?

WelshDevilRob

Michel Rivera (24-0, 14 KOs) vs Frank Martin (16-0, 12 KOs), this Saturday, at Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA. It's on ShowTime in the USA, on the Jose Uzcategui vs Vladimir Shishkin undercard. Great to see this type of match-up. Boxing needs more of them, take the risk and progress.

Talent is there but which one takes it?

RiveravsMartin.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Rivera-Martin is in fact the main event. Indeed PBC's matching two of its rising lightweight prospects. Perhaps to produce a viable future opponent for Tank Davis. Rivera is further along; Martin only just had his first 10-rounder 20 months ago. First 12-rounder for him; Rivera has had one. Rivera is the Ali "clone". A smooth operator, slick boxer type with decent power and can accumulate damage for mid to late-round stoppages. Ladarius Miller, Jon Fernandez, Joseph Adorno are decent names on his CV. Martin has beaten a slightly lower level of opponent with a higher frequency of KO's to show for it. Common opponent - Jerry Perez; Martin by KO7 while Rivera won a UD8. That was Rivera's last fight a couple months back and he looked kinda meh. Was it lack of motivation stepping down to an 8-rounder? Will a 12-round title eliminator (WBA) main event in Vegas fix that? (Wouldn't you know Tank is the WBA's regular champion. Promoters are counting on enough people forgetting who Devin Haney is for one night.) Rivera can tend to lean on his skill level and see if the path of least resistance will carry him through. Martin is more of a worker bee type of fighter who can give a dancing Rivera problems. The size difference isn't all that great. I'll side with the effort fighter to get the job done. Martin takes it.

• Like 1

Should be a great fight.

That undercard is also interesting.  Jose Uzcategui may not be at the top, but I thought he looked quite decent against Plant, at least until the last few rounds. Good mobility and athleticism, and a very aggressive mentality.   If he had used his jab more, I think the fight could have been very close.   Hopefully he learned something from the experience.  (I haven't seen any of his post-Plant fights, as they were all against no-hopers.)

Do we know anything at all about undefeated Vlad Shishkin?  I've never heard of the guy before.

• Thanks 1

Wow,  Martin looked awfully good.   Short arms but such good footwork that he was able to completely control distance for the entire fight. Seems to have very solid power as well, yet he stayed controlled and disciplined all night, never going for a KO.

Not surprisingly, he looks a lot like Spence, whom he trains with under Derek James.

Hard to say JUST how good Frank Martin is, though.  I think Rivera looked pretty bad,  given his record and reputation.  He has huge arms but doesn't use distance properly at all.   His footwork is terrible.  His arm speed is only average,  and he tends to leave his head wide open after throwing his right hand.

So .....

• Thanks 1