Jump to content

Heavyweight blockbuster this Saturday - Who U Got?


WelshDevilRob
 Share

Recommended Posts

Only recently learnt of this fight and it's this Saturday. It's almost Christmas and this is proof that there is a Santa.

Two big names in the Heavyweight division collide, in a head-on collision, at Motospace Dubai Investment Park, Dubai, United Arab Emirates.

Syrian Mahmoud Charr (33-4, 19 KOs) vs Australian Lucas Browne (31-3, 27 KOs). Wow!

German-based Charr, 38, is on a 5-fight winning streak. Never got the dream fight with Fres Oquendo, who stopped his WBA dreams.
Charr missed out on a Fury clash but a win could set him on the path to Ultimate glory.

Fres has interrupted Browne's attempts at being a two-time WBA champion as well.
But, now these two collide and could earn a crack at the WBA champion Daniel Dubois. It really is - Winner takes all!
'Big Daddy' Browne's career looked dead and buried but the huge Aussie turned things around, with a 1st round demolition job of prospect Junior Fa. At 43, this is a chance to get back to the top.

Granted we never got Bowe vs Lennox. Floyd vs Manny Pac was 5 years too late. This is two Heavyweights past their prime but at least, we're going to witness it.
How do you predict the result, of this fight? You don't. You just sit back and enjoy the fireworks.

No mainstream TV channel has picked this up. Maybe none big enough? This deserves the HBO 24/7 treatment. But for $20 you can get it on FiteTV.

CharrBrowne.jpg

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's a 50-50 tossup; who's gonna land the big one? I'll side with Browne based largely on Charr having fought a grand total of five rounds in five years. Browne's had it done to him (Gallen, embarrassingly) but has also done it himself. Charr's not the one hitter quitter type. If this indeed produces an opponent for Dubois, it'll be someone Dubois can look good against and achieve a definitive result.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, Ledhed1 said:

It's a 50-50 tossup; who's gonna land the big one? I'll side with Browne based largely on Charr having fought a grand total of five rounds in five years. Browne's had it done to him (Gallen, embarrassingly) but has also done it himself. Charr's not the one hitter quitter type. If this indeed produces an opponent for Dubois, it'll be someone Dubois can look good against and achieve a definitive result.

I'm leaning more toward Charr, as he seems the more sturdy. But, rooting for Browne. The WBA has just ordered that Usyk fights Dubois next. Hopefully, Usyk vs Fury gets made next - a Unification supersedes the alphabets orders. Frank Warren has said the winner faces DDD. Dubois isn't ready for either, he's still raw and got a leg injury. If boxing made sense, Joe Joyce should get the first crack at the Fury vs Usyk winner.

Edited by WelshDevilRob
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

--- Interesting fight of old timers only missing FasFred for a trio of trilogies.

Russian monster Makhmudov fighting Friday making noises about big fights. Beat the always game Takam this year, so maybe aggressive management can land him a title shot against some names.

Rising heavyweight Arslanbek Makhmudov will look to close out his 2022 campaign when he faces seasoned veteran Michael Wallisch at the Centre Gervais Auto in Shawinigan, Canada, on Friday.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

By Jake Donovan, BoxingScene

Mahmoud Charr and Lucas Browne await further instructions as their planned heavyweight clash is on hold.

A previously scheduled show featuring Charr-Browne atop the bill was canceled by The Middle East Professional Boxing (MEPB) commission. All involved parties were informed that the card—which was due to take place this Saturday at Motospace Dubai Investment Park in Dubai, United Arab Emirates—will no longer moving forward due to listed event promoter Iconic Promotions Dubai failing to comply with basic standards.

“We MEPB have decided to withdraw the sanction provided for the Dec. 17, 2022 event in Dubai, UAE,” the commission noted to all participants on the show via an official email. “The way the promoter handled the event have damaged the good will of the sport and multiple complaints have been received. There is no proper venue secured nor government permits provided till date.”

As previously reported by BoxingScene, elements of the undercard will be repurposed. One such bout involves unbeaten Ukrainian heavyweight Viktor Vykhryst (b/k/a Victor Faust), whose clash with  Indianapolis’ Franklin Lawrence (21-3-2, 16KOs) will now take place on an already existing show on Saturday in Goeppingen, Germany.

Efforts are ongoing to reschedule Charr-Browne, with hopes of getting the fight on the books before year’s end.

Little is known about Iconic Promotions Dubai, whose team has apparently gone to ground. Multiple participants involved in the now canceled show have been unsuccessful in getting a hold of anyone from the company. Apparently, such was the case with the MEBP who confronted the problem head-on in refusing to allow the event to move forward. It was also made clear under no uncertain terms that the company is forbidden from doing business ever again in the region.

“At this point, there is not even a promoter in charge and it would be impossible to go ahead with the event and comply with the safety and medical standards to run a safe event,” noted a commission representative. “We are hereby officially informing that MEPB won’t be sanctioning the show or working with the promoter here after.”

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...