Oleksandr Usyk vs Deontay Wilder

WelshDevilRob

Found it a bit concerning for Wilder to step into the Ruiz-Ortiz ring with Helenius still to deal with. But assuming Wilder doesn't blow that assignment - and what comes next, be it Usyk or otherwise, is pure conjecture - I don't like this matchup for Usyk. Usyk may be able to bamboozle Wilder to some degree but he wouldn't be able to get close enough consistently to do enough damage to win on points without risking Wilder catching him, which I think would be inevitable if Usyk dares enter Wilder's kitchen. Otherwise if Usyk opts to play it safe, Wilder picks him off at range and wins enough rounds to take a decision. But we want the best fighting the best. If Fury-AJ happens, Fury or Wilder would be the top two contenders in the event of a Fury win. If AJ somehow wins, AJ and Fury would be rematching leaving Wilder the top available contender for early next year. The Joyce-Parker winner would be a worthy challenger - since we're in speculation mode - but I don't think PBC allows Ruiz anywhere near Usyk. I think they'd be confident Wilder could do the job - after all they crossed lines matching Wilder with Fury. Bring it on.

• Like 1

^  Haterz gonna' hate.

How many times did Wilder put Fury down?

And Fury is clearly a much bigger threat than Usyk,  and arguably just as good, defensively.

And Wilder has a proven granite chin at this point,  with Usyk having nowhere near the power of the current, Steward-crafted Fury.

Puhleez .......

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

--- Puhleez, we finally got Wilder in a nonTBA fight not named Fury.

He's got no belt and little hope of getting one again, but his delusion factor is off the scale of measurement. In Helenius he has a very hungry guy sidelined by injuries now on the rise with a good deal of self belief.

At very least we have a potential slugfest with Helenius considerably more powerful than the blubbered Fury.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 hours ago, lamarclark09 said:

Usyk is the best fighter, but I think Wilder will win the match.

I agree.

Wilder has a proven granite chin and heart of a lion.   He's also starting to actually box a little, like he did in his early pro career.  (Yes, he really did, before his huge ego turned him into a 1-punch zombie.)

- So Usyk has very little chance to KO Wilder, and he only has to make ONE big mistake over 36 minutes for Wilder to put his lights out.  And Usyk is a warrior,  he's not going to just dance around for 12 rounds like a HW version of BJ Saunders.  

Usyk is the A side, so it will probably be a huge ring, but I still favor Wilder by a wide margin.

But OMG what a fascinating fight, if it happens .....

• Thanks 1

--- Why would Usyk bother with low rent dented noggin Wilder when he has potentially a much bigger fight with Blubber?

And if that proves(likely) problematic, why not give posterboy Hrgovic a shot or make a Boxing as an international sports model statement with a rematch of Russian Gassiev?

And then retire a hero for life with a better traditional heavy record than Vander?

It ain't easy being Ukrainian or Russian these days.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LondonRingRules said:

--- Why would Usyk bother with low rent dented noggin Wilder when he has potentially a much bigger fight with Blubber?

And if that proves(likely) problematic, why not give posterboy Hrgovic a shot or make a Boxing as an international sports model statement with a rematch of Russian Gassiev?

Usyk - Gassiev at HW would be lovely.  -  But Gassiev has to earn it first, by beating a top-ten HW.  

Blubber may never actually fight again, who knows?  Or he may go after AJ for an easier win.   If you're team Usyk, you can't actually COUNT on ever facing Fury in the ring.  Gotta' have a plan B.  The 2 biggest fights money-wise are obviously AJ & Wilder.

Oh, and FCK Hrgovic,   that's why.  

He's a dirty SOB,  he has almost no credible wins on his resume, and everyone knows he just lost to Zhang.

• Thanks 1