“Ten seconds-plus” Deontay Wilder knockdown footage remains a mystery

Bear Hugger

A stunning and controversial Deontay Wilder knockdown remains lost without a trace after a WBN investigation.

The former WBC heavyweight champion got put down by the little-known Harry Sconiers in 2010. Golden Boy acknowledged the clash as Wilder’s “toughest test to date,” but the footage is nowhere to be found.

For years now, World Boxing News has searched far and wide for the whereabouts of any video containing the incident.

Full article: https://www.worldboxingnews.net/2022/09/08/deontay-wilder-knockdown-sconiers-mystery/

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

And here I thought, based on the thread title, this was about Jack Reiss counting Fury in the first fight! Promoters bury damaging footage all the time. It's part of being a promoter. Accentuate the positive; expunge the negative. So there was a "saved by the bell" issue? What was the rule? Could a fighter be saved by the bell before the last round? So we know he was floored but arose in time to beat the count. Why do we need to see it? It's old news. Unless you count KD seconds like in the UK - the ringside timekeeper calls out the count all the way through - referees' count pace will vary. They're only human. Every time I see Reiss do an 8 count, I say to myself "you didn't count Fury that fast." The point is, so long as the fighter can hear the count, he rises before 10 it's all good. This is probably an issue to WBN - because their research has come up empty - and no one else.

• Thanks 1

I remember that fight well, as  was a huge Wider fan at the time.

Wilder made a very stupid mistake with Sconiers on the inside, and paid for it.  (It was Wilder's 45th fight EVER.)

And then Wilder Decapitated Sconiers in the 4th for the win.

And no, the count wasn't long.  If it had been, I would have noticed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Of course, I also think that Wilder was being a cry baby by claiming it was a rabbit punch.

If it had been blatant, I would have noticed that too, seeing as I hate rabbit punches And refs that don't call them) about as much as anyone can.

The punch was probably on the ear,  which caused massive bruising to Wilder's ego.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

--- Wiki report verifying what I saw vs 400 lb Dustin Nichols in Protectionville, Mississippi save the KD was in the closing seconds and no footwork was shown.

• Deontay Wilder 10-0 (10 KOs) vs. Dustin Nichols 4-2 (4 KOs)
  • Among those in attendance was former world champion Roy Jones Jr.
  • Wilder appeared to be knocked down by a right hand in the opening minute of the fight, but the referee ruled it a slip.

Bout Summary

Referee, Keith Hughes, waved an end to the bout prior to the beginning of the 2nd Round due to a cut that had opened over Nichols' right eye. Early in the round, Wilder opened the cut with a combination of left jabs and hooks that set up his right-hand calling card. The blood trickled down Nichols face, and then Wilder went to work on the big man's nose, which was bloodied in the second minute.[

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LondonRingRules said:

--- Wiki report verifying what I saw vs 400 lb Dustin Nichols in Protectionville, Mississippi save the KD was in the closing seconds and no footwork was shown.

• Deontay Wilder 10-0 (10 KOs) vs. Dustin Nichols 4-2 (4 KOs)
  • Among those in attendance was former world champion Roy Jones Jr.
  • Wilder appeared to be knocked down by a right hand in the opening minute of the fight, but the referee ruled it a slip.

I dunno why you're suddenly talking about the Nichols fight, but that WAS a slip.  It was very obvious.  Actually more like a trip, as Wilder backed up on his Bambi legs.

The haterz just LOVE to pretend it was a KD,  but not a chance.

3 hours ago, LondonRingRules said:

• Like 1