Jump to content

Tyson Fury open to facing Anthony Joshua if Oleksandr Usyk fight can’t be made


Recommended Posts

WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury 32-0-1 (23) still wants to fight Anthony Joshua 24-3 (22) in what would be one of the biggest all-British showdowns of all time.

Fury has turned his sights to Joshua after WBA, WBO and IBF heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk 20-0 (13) ruled out a return to the ring this year.

https://www.ringnews24.com/2022/09/05/tyson-fury-open-to-facing-anthony-joshua-if-oleksandr-usyk-fight-cant-be-made/

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua talks progress
By
Anthony Cocks

Anthony Joshua 24-3 (22) has tentatively accepted a 60/40 deal to face WBC heavyweight champion Tyson Fury 32-0-1 (23) with a working date of December 17 at Principality Stadium in Cardiff, Wales.

But Joshua’s longtime promoter Eddie Hearn remains sceptical that Fury actually wants the fight.

“I saw the callout and took it with a pinch of salt,” the Matchroom Boxing boss said to iFL TV.

“Two weeks ago, he retired. Ten days ago, he wanted to fight Derek Chisora in December. Then he wanted to fight Oleksandr Usyk. Then he wanted a half-a-billion or he’d never fight again. Then he wanted to fight Anthony Joshua.

“In essence, we accepted the offer. Lots of conversations to be had.”

Joshua and Fury were expected to fight last year when the former was the WBA, WBO and IBF champion. That fight was put on hold when Fury was ordered to face Deontay Wilder for a third time. Joshua would subsecuently lose his titles by unanimous decision to Oleksandr Usyk 20-0 (13) in September last year.

“Don’t forget, we signed for that fight a year ago,” Hearn said. “That fight was stopped because of the Wilder arbitration. That had nothing to do with us. We also offered Tyson Fury that fight when he wasn’t champion. We offered at 60/40. He turned it down and asked for 50/50.”

Read more: https://www.ringnews24.com/2022/09/08/tyson-fury-and-anthony-joshua-talks-progress/

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not the proper fight for AJ at this time. Nothing's changed since the Usyk rematch. That was less than 3 weeks ago! He needs to string at least a couple wins together to get his groove back. He may never win the Fury matchup; but next! Preposterous. The only possible reason he and Hearn are open to this fight is they each lack confidence in AJ to earn his way back into contention. If the offer's there, take the cash grab. Don't take any further chances of AJ losing and blowing it which is entirely possible. Fury? Don't forget - I keep repeating this - he's limited where he can fight given his Kinahan connections. The no-fly list is a big secret but it doesn't take a genius to see that Fury's on it. Fighting other Brits in Britain is an easy sell and a no-brainer. He's fortunate he's got that to fall back on. But the way he flip flops he's liable to go back into retirement before the week's out. Hearn and Warren must deal directly - none of this Twitter nonsense - and show us the signed contracts. Until then Fury's got the press wrapped around his finger and he's loving it. Meantime let's follow actual boxing and leave him to his circus act.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

--- Fury working up another lathering duck is what it is, the biggest fraud in boxing since dethroning the previous biggest fraud in boxing.

MTK $$$ has larded his brain with delusions of grandeur when in fact he's bricked it too many times vs Wlad rematch and career purse fights with AJ. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/9/2022 at 12:03 AM, Ledhed1 said:

Not the proper fight for AJ at this time. Nothing's changed since the Usyk rematch. That was less than 3 weeks ago! He needs to string at least a couple wins together to get his groove back. He may never win the Fury matchup; but next! Preposterous. The only possible reason he and Hearn are open to this fight is they each lack confidence in AJ to earn his way back into contention. If the offer's there, take the cash grab. Don't take any further chances of AJ losing and blowing it which is entirely possible. Fury? Don't forget - I keep repeating this - he's limited where he can fight given his Kinahan connections. The no-fly list is a big secret but it doesn't take a genius to see that Fury's on it. Fighting other Brits in Britain is an easy sell and a no-brainer. He's fortunate he's got that to fall back on. But the way he flip flops he's liable to go back into retirement before the week's out. Hearn and Warren must deal directly - none of this Twitter nonsense - and show us the signed contracts. Until then Fury's got the press wrapped around his finger and he's loving it. Meantime let's follow actual boxing and leave him to his circus act.

Agree, mate. I read that Joshua/Hearn are planning a World tour, of fights. That's something that I'd like to see. Fury blows too much hot air and it looks like the two camps can't agree on a December date.

A few quotes from Hearn (before the Fury offer):

"The amount of times we had mandatories put on us and not being able to make fights we wanted to make or the dates we wanted to make.

"And now that's the most exciting thing about moving forward, now he can be in charge of his own career, his own destiny.

"We can fight who we want, where we want, when we want. Be as active as we want, whilst building up to get AJ a shot at the heavyweight title again.

"And that should be the most exciting thing for his career now, a chance to actually be active and build a schedule.

"I want to build a world tour. I want to see AJ fight in London, in Beijing, in Australia, in the Middle East, in America.

"And it's going to be a lot of fun. I think he's really going to fall in love with the sport again."

Hearn was then pressed on who he would like Joshua to face soon, where he stated he would love a rematch with Dillian Whyte following their December 2015 epic.

AJ knocked out his British compatriot in the seventh round with a huge uppercut after being rocked by a left hook from the Body Snatcher earlier in the fight.

He remarked: "The fight that I want, the fight that he wants, is Dillian Whyte.

AJRN24.webp

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

--- Fury with his 7 day Josh deadline now 7 days past deadline because fights can't be made in 7 days. He should know after Eddie spent months putting together a Josh card in Saudi Arabia splitting $150 mil that Fury ducked out on.

Josh seems at heart at least with Brits to be a people's fighter, and maybe with a world tour expand on that. I strongly, STRONGLY recommend not knocking out Zhang in China for obvious reasons. He and Whyte could fight there, but truth be told, after the Povetkin KOed Whyte, it's clear Whyte can no longer hold a shot, so that fight proves nothing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

SMH.

Joshua accepts terms for heavyweight fight with Fury

By Steve Douglas, Associated Press

A long-anticipated all-British heavyweight fight between Tyson Fury and Anthony Joshua appears closer than ever.

Joshua’s management group said in a post on Twitter on Tuesday that its fighter has accepted the terms presented by Fury for a bout on Dec. 3.

That was made known to Fury’s team on Friday, the 258MGT group said, before both parties agreed to halt communication following the death of Queen Elizabeth II on Thursday.

“We are awaiting a response,” posted the management team, which said it was speaking on behalf of Joshua along with the fighter’s promoter, Matchroom.

The response was pretty much immediate from Fury’s British promoter, Frank Warren.

“Contract will be with you very soon,” Warren said on Twitter.

In a video on social media last week, Fury — the WBC champion — said he was willing to offer Joshua 40% of the purse for a title fight before the end of the year.

“He doesn’t have any excuses now not to take it,” Fury said. “He can’t say I’ve low-balled him and offered him 20 or 30%. I’ve offered (his) people 40% — take it or leave it.”

Joshua’s promoter, Eddie Hearn, said he would be interested in making the fight if Fury’s offer was serious.

It has been reported in the British media that the purse for any rematch — if Fury was to lose — would be a 50-50 split.

The unbeaten Fury appears to have gone back on his decision to retire in the wake of beating another British fighter, Dillian Whyte, in front of around 90,000 spectators at Wembley Stadium in April.

Fury’s hopes of landing a fight with Oleksandr Usyk, who retained the WBA, WBO and IBF belts by beating Joshua in Saudi Arabia last month, were dashed when the Ukrainian said he did not intend to fight again this year.

Fury turned his sights on Joshua, who said after the Usyk fight that he intended to work his way back up to being a three-time champion — potentially facing opponents in the second tier of the heavyweight division — after losing three of his last five bouts.

What would have been a fight to be undisputed champion between Joshua and Fury was close to being arranged last year, only for an arbitrator in the United States to rule that Fury was contractually bound to fulfil a third fight with Deontay Wilder.

Joshua, who was heavyweight champion at the time, then decided to fight Usyk and lost to the Ukrainian in London.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...