What do you guys make of Chris Eubank Jr vs Conor Benn? October 8

The_budweiser

Chris Eubank Jr and Conor Benn will collide in a colossal catchweight clash at The O2 in London on Saturday October 8, shown exclusively live on DAZN around the world and on DAZN PPV in the UK and Ireland, 30 years on from their iconic father’s second showdown at Old Trafford.

An unmissable event for fight fans around the world, Eubank Jr vs. Benn promises to be one of the most electrifying British boxing contests in decades as the sons of two of the sport’s most famous names battle it out in an incredible second-generation showdown.

https://www.ringnews24.com/2022/08/09/chris-eubank-jr-vs-conor-benn-confirmed-for-o2-arena-in-london/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Something of a mismatch, physically, but making that catchweight will make Eubank jr drained, I trust, so that will be an equalizer. I think Conor has improved definitely but he cannot hope to knock out Eubank, while Eubank is capable of doing that to him. Still, I trust it to be a rather boring affair with a lot of grabbing and holding. These fights often disappoint. Or, it can turn out to be a true barnburner also. Either way, I would like Benn to win but my senses tell me Eubank should win this.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

A travesty. As much as 20 pounds difference based on where they've recently fought. Where's the BBBoC to say no? Making sure they get their cut of the promotion, that's where. Benn isn't a terribly fast welterweight so he doesn't have much of a speed advantage to offset the size and strength of Eubank. Eubank has been a middleweight so the catchweight won't weaken him enough to make a difference. Eubank wins, Hearn makes some money, the fans will wonder why they bothered, and the result doesn't make a bit of difference as the fighters return to their rightful divisions.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Chris Eubank says son's fight against Conor Benn 'cannot happen' over weight concerns

From Reuters News Service

Former world champion Chris Eubank has said he wants his son's fight against Conor Benn scrapped due to concerns about the 157 pounds weight limit, with Chris Eubank Jr. having never fought below 160 pounds in his professional career.

British boxers Eubank Jr. and Benn are scheduled to face off in a highly-anticipated bout at London's O2 Arena on Oct. 8, three decades after their fathers fought each other.

Eubank Jr. (32-2, 23 knockouts) has fought at middleweight and super-middleweight, while Benn (21-0, 14 knockouts) boxes at welterweight, so their meeting has been fixed at a catchweight of 157 pounds.

"My son is a warrior, he will fight anyone," Eubank Sr. told The Times. "But I told him, you cannot go beneath 160, and he's gone down to 157. It cannot happen.

"That is called suicide. I don't do that to my son. I'm not putting him in that field.

"I am managing my son's career. Irrespective of what he has said, irrespective of what he has written down and signed, it can't happen.

"I've already lost one son," he added, referring to his son Sebastian, who died of a heart attack at 29 last year.

• Thanks 1

Can see why the promoters made the fight - Ka-Ching!

Is Senior or Roy Jones Jr training young Chris? Pretty sure he's ditched Roy, or the other way around.

As for the fight, I think Conor has been matched right, by Eddie, but isn't a serious threat to the main welters. Eddie making that cash. Liam Williams a lot tougher than Benn, and Eubank prevailed there. I expect young Benn to get stopped.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Conor Benn forfeits boxing license in wake of failed PED test

By Mike Coppinger, ESPN

The British Boxing Board of Control announced Wednesday that "allegations of misconduct" against welterweight contender Conor Benn were upheld at a Friday hearing.

Benn was slated to fight Chris Eubank Jr. earlier this month, but the event was scrapped after The BBBofC refused to sanction the 157-pound catchweight bout following Benn's positive test for the performance-enhancing drug clomifene, a drug often used to boost testosterone levels.

According to The BBBofC, Benn voluntarily relinquished his boxing license on the morning of the hearing, which he was legally represented at.

A statement posted to Benn's Twitter account Wednesday refuted the allegations against the boxer, calling the board's conduct "biased and unfair."

The statement went on to say Benn would address the allegations at "an appropriate time."

Benn maintained his innocence ahead of the fight's cancellation and tweeted, "I hope the apology is as loud as the disrespect."

"Clomid [the brand name for clomifene] is a fertility drug that will raise testosterone by 50%," Victor Conte, the founder of BALCO, told ESPN. Conte served time in prison after pleading guilty to conspiracy to distribute performance-enhancing drugs before founding SNAC, a sports nutrition company.

Clomifene is banned by the World Anti-Doping Agency, and the doping test on Benn was carried out by the Voluntary Anti-Doping Association (VADA).

• Like 1

I'm no expert on these things - far too murky and I rely on others, who know more. But, I find it strange that VADA picked up something but UKAD didn't. Are they using different testing - are standards higher in one of these testers?

I watched a new video interview with Eddie Hearn and he mentioned the word "contamination". Is that possible or realistic?

Giving up the BBBoC license is stupidity. On a separate point, I'm glad the fight, at catch-weight, didn't happen. Eubank looked like a skeleton making weight. I read that Nigel Benn sent Eubank Sr an apology, after seeing the pictures.

• Thanks 1

--- Don't think Eubank Jr is hurting in the earnings department, but I'd have thought he could find someone in the blizzard of UK or Europe boxing to fight him on short notice to pay for the pain and training he's put in.

As for Benn Jr, guy looks like a slimy lizard with no redeeming social features. He may never recover from this, but if he does, not many to care.

• Thanks 1

Chris Eubank Jr's Team Were Not Informed of Conor Benn's First Positive Test

by Ron Lewis

Chris Eubank Jr’s team were not informed about Conor Benn’s first positive drugs test when he signed for their fight.

Benn has revealed that he tested positive for the banned substance clomifene, a female fertility drug that boosts testosterone, weeks before a positive test for the same substance that scuppered his fight with Eubank.

A member of Eubank’s team described news of the July positive test as “baffling”.

It was a sample taken from Benn on September 1 that led to the fight being called off. It was reported to Benn and Eubank’s teams, as well as the British Boxing Board of Control, on September 23.

Read more: https://www.boxingscene.com/chris-eubank-jr-team-not-informed-conor-benn-first-positive-test--170048

• Thanks 1