Where next for Joshua Buatsi?

Joshua Buatsi (16-0, 13 KOs) defeated fellow Brit Craig Richards, on a 12-round unanimous decision.

Buatsi is 29-years-old and has a World title shot in his sights.

Promoter Eddie Hearn on potential opponents:

"There's no levels between Craig Richards and these world champions so the natural step is to fight for a world championship. Obviously, if Canelo doesn't fight Bivol, then I think that there could be a very good chance of Buatsi fighting him."

"I think Buatsi [vs.] Bivol is a great fight. Maybe we do the Richards rematch, I don't know. [Maybe we do] the [Anthony] Yarde fight, the Callum Smith fight. The big domestic fights are there but I know that Joshua Buatsi does want to fight for a world title."

Where next for Joshua and what did you think of the fight against Craig Richards?

• Like 2

Seems this is an exercise in determining the top LHW in Britain. Buatsi outclassed Richards; I didn't see as close a fight as the judges did. Don't see Buatsi hanging with Beterbiev, Bivol, Canelo, Joe Smith though (well perhaps Smith if Beterbiev gives him a severe beating but that wouldn't fulfill Buatsi's desire for a title shot). Beterbiev or Smith will shortly hold 3 titles; Bivol has the other. Matching Buatsi with Bivol next would be throwing him to the wolves (unless Bivol was so unmotivated following his biggest career win and not getting the immediate rematch, Buatsi could catch him sleeping). Brit vs Brit in Britain never fails to be promotional gold. Between Callum and Yarde, do Yarde next with the winner facing Callum. Who knows, by that time one of the alphabets may find an excuse to strip somebody and there's your world title shot. Voila!
  • Like 2