Canelo Alvarez skipping Dmitry Bivol rematch to face Gennadiy Golovkin next

Ledhed1

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo

The renewal of one of boxing’s most compelling rivalries is now within sight. On Monday, Canelo Alvarez announced that he’ll bypass an immediate rematch with WBA light heavyweight champion Dmitry Bivol to face arch rival Gennadiy Golovkin in September.

Alvarez had agreed earlier this year to meet Golovkin in September, but only after he moved up to light heavyweight to challenge the unbeaten Bivol for his belt. Bivol controlled the bout and defeated Alvarez by unanimous decision that wasn’t as close as the scores made it appear.

Alvarez said after the fight that he wanted the rematch with Bivol, but decided to go ahead with his contractual obligation to fight Golovkin instead. They fought to a split draw in a spirited middleweight title fight in 2017, but Alvarez won the rematch by majority decision in 2018.

“We already had that contract [to face Golovkin in September], that agreement, so we have to continue what we started and I think those are the two biggest fights in boxing, the fight with Golovkin and the rematch with Bivol,” Alvarez told ESPN Deportes. “Unfortunately we lost, but that doesn’t mean I’m not going to try again. The important thing here is perseverance and we’re going to do it again.

“What is certain is that we are going to return in September. And in the coming days, today, tomorrow, the day after, we are going to announce the [third Golovkin] fight. We just have to wait a little bit.”

• Like 1

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo

“What is certain is that we are going to return in September. And in the coming days, today, tomorrow, the day after, we are going to announce the [third Golovkin] fight. We just have to wait a little bit.”

Anything to avoid Benavidez. :laugh:

- Just kidding.

Sort of.

Gotta' have a lucrative trilogy when the other guy never actually beat you.

Officially. :whistle:

Especially if he's now 40 y-o.

And you've been using PED's for years. ("hey Canelo, are you clean?" "No amigo, I'm clen." )

And you know that the ref will let you get away with any fouls you like.

And the cards have been filled-in ahead of time.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

Anything to avoid Benavidez. :laugh:

- Just kidding.

Sort of.

Gotta' have a lucrative trilogy when the other guy never actually beat you.

Officially. :whistle:

Especially if he's now 40 y-o.

And you've been using PED's for years. ("hey Canelo, are you clean?" "No amigo, I'm clen." )

And you know that the ref will let you get away with any fouls you like.

And the cards have been filled-in ahead of time.

- - Now, now, Cable, the deck is level since you're of the ilk that everyone uses. That begs the question of what you use?

I don't use and don't accuse everyone of using and Canelo never failed a drug test not that that matters in your world.

• Like 1

- - Now, now, Cable, the deck is level since you're of the ilk that everyone uses. That begs the question of what you use?

Coffee. Miles and miles of the stuff.

Organic Hawaiin Kona when I can afford it. Maxwell House instant when I can't. ;-)

I don't use and don't accuse everyone of using and Canelo never failed a drug test not that that matters in your world.

When has he even taken one?

Oh yeah. Twice. And he failed both times, blaming it on Mexican beef.

• Like 1

Coffee. Miles and miles of the stuff.

Organic Hawaiin Kona when I can afford it. Maxwell House instant when I can't. ;-)

When has he even taken one?

Oh yeah. Twice. And he failed both times, blaming it on Mexican beef.

--- Kona the best of the best, but why ain't it "illegal" as an artificial stimulant and taste gratifier?

Ain't you got the email yet? Fighters need to train on cruel gruel VADA certified.

It was Vic of VADA who proclaimed the ghost nanograms of clen as local food contamination found world wide. If you eat American beef, you likely to test positive for steroids.

Hence subsequent Canelo camps trained on chicken and fish with no problems, BUT!

Hear tell Canelo went Vegan for Bivol with ill results. You got any superpower inside insight on that disastrous change up?

Anyone?

• Like 1

..... could this be the all time upset in the making with that canary that ate the cat look?

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"center","data-size":"full","title":"Showtime-Davis-v-Romero-PPV-NY-Weigh-In-WESTCOTT-17.jpg?w=600&ssl=1.jpg","data-attachmentid":993552}[/ATTACH]

I think that's a "no hoper that cashed the check" look. :haha:

• Like 1