Benavidez vs Lemieux this weekend

BoztheMadman

Even without the age factor, I see nothing that Lemmy can do to bother Bena. Lemmy has power, but not enough mobility to catch the very slippery Bena.

Plus Bena has that insane speed + huge reach advantage.

He also has a huge advantage in overall skill. (IMO one of the top ten, maybe top-five boxers currently active.)

My only caveat is that Bena looked a bit slow and lethargic in a few fights, such as Ellis and Dirrel, so his work ethic might not be that great. I hope to again see the old greased-lighting Benavidez this weekend.

It should be a fun fight, since Lemmy is tough and powerful and there's no quit in him, but I expect Bena to sweep the rounds, even if he's a bit off his game.

Like Boz, I also pick Benavidez by late stoppage. 9th or 10th. - But I don't think it will be a war, exactly. High action, for sure, but with Bena comfortably in control.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 2

Wouldn't be at all surprised if the end came quickly. Lemieux wins if Benavidez makes a fatal mistake and walks onto one - Lemieux has the punch for it. But the Benavidez train rolls on for me. He should be next in line for Canelo at 168. But he'll have to keep waiting thru Bivol- Canelo II and possibly Canelo-GGG III.

I think Benavidez is too slow to trouble Canelo. He probably has Bivol-level power - perhaps a bit more - but Canelo-Benavidez may be more like Canelo-Kovalev. Bivol had too much volume for Canelo to handle. Benavidez won't run out of gas like Kovalev did, but I think Canelo breaks him down over 12 and closes stronger where Bivol didn't permit that. Plus I think the loss gives Canelo a boost in motivation. That said, if Canelo loses the Bivol rematch - and he still may take GGG III in the interim - that's a lot of water still to pass under the bridge before Benavidez gets his shot. Stylistically, though, Canelo deals with Benavidez for me. Still wanna see it though; bring on all comers.

I think Benavidez is too slow to trouble Canelo.

Wah?

Maybe as regards his feet, I definitely agree.

But as fast as Bivol's hands are, Bena's are even faster (at least in his prime.) And Bena has an even longer reach. I don't think a lack of mobility is going to be a factor against Canelo. (Granted, he looked a bit slowish and lethargic against Ellis, but I think / hope that was a fluke.)

Also, Bena goes to the body really well, whereas Bivol almost never does. I've always felt Canelo is somewhat open for a body attack, just most opponents can't get there safely. Bena has the reach and hand speed to do it. Another thing about Bena which will trouble Canelo is his ability (despite his height & reach) to stand in the pocket and trade. Imagine the gingican facing a younger version of Kovalev, but who has a longer reach and faster hands.

Well, of course, Canelo could always just throw a few blatantly low blows and get a BS KO, (tried & true) but in a fair fight, IMO Bena humiliates him worse than Bivol did.

Tonights fight will tell the tale, one way or the other.

Edited by Cableaddict
  • Like 1

Wah?

Maybe as regards his feet, I definitely agree.

But as fast as Bivol's hands are, Bena's are even faster (at least in his prime.) And Bena has an even longer reach. I don't think a lack of mobility is going to be a factor against Canelo. (Granted, he looked a bit slowish and lethargic against Ellis, but I think / hope that was a fluke.)

Also, Bena goes to the body really well, whereas Bivol almost never does. I've always felt Canelo is somewhat open for a body attack, just most opponents can't get there safely. Bena has the reach and hand speed to do it. Another thing about Bena which will trouble Canelo is his ability (despite his height & reach) to stand in the pocket and trade. Imagine the gingican facing a younger version of Kovalev, who has a linger reach and faster hands.

Well, of course, Canelo could always just throw a few blatantly low blows and get a BS KO, (tried & true) but in a fair fight, IMO Bena humiliates him worse than Bivol did.

Tonights fight will tell the tale, one way or the other.

- - Now there you go again, Cable.

Congrats on Benavidez fulfilling the expected result against a very dangerous, underrated slugger, but of course you'd be howling to the outer reaches of the universe if Canelo was defending 168 vs Lemieux.

El Rojo is in the Canelo Sweepstakes now if he wasn't before, but that's a long line headed up by Bivol and GGG, two more emphatic bouts for Canelo. Don't know if you ever figured this out, but these guys can only fight one fight at a time and modern negotiations take months to make on top of training camps, so put on your BigBoy pants and show some respect for what these fighters have to put up with in the current business model.

And if you ain't in your BigBoys, you won't be allowed to talk about the Monster Battle of Beter vs Just Another Joe Named Smith coming up like a freight train.

Impressive - though not surprising - performance by Benavidez. Lemieux is a fighter who's there to be hit and once Benavidez got him, there was no turning back. Anything that ramps up the hype for a big fight with Canelo is a good thing. It may still be awhile though - as I said Bivol II and GGG III may both happen in the interim. PBC still has several prime opponents to line up against Benavidez - he called out Plant and Jermall specifically. Keep rolling out the appetizers until the main course is ready for serving.

Well, Bena certainly didn't disappoint.

I thought he take more time and play it safe, but Lemmy was bringing so much heat I guess he had no choice to to turn it up early.

After seeing how effective Bena was in the pocket, against such an aggressive and huge puncher, I doubt team Canelo wants anything to do with this guy.

Too bad for them that Bena made weight with 2 lbs to spare. He'll likely stay at SMW for a few more years, so what's their excuse gonna' be?

(But how amazing would it be to see Bena vs a still-prime Bivol? :haha: )

• Like 1

And if you ain't in your BigBoys, you won't be allowed to talk about the Monster Battle of Beter vs Just Another Joe Named Smith coming up like a freight train.

Oh boy ! Oh boy ! Oh boy ! Oh boy ! I thought this fight was never gonna' happen.

Of course you gotta' bet on Beter, (who is STILL improving with every fight) but what an exciting matchup.

- And can you believe it was almost six years ago that Smith burst onto the scene by putting BHop through the ropes? I'm getting OLD. ;-)

• 5 months later...