Lookout~Errol Spence Jr vs Yordenis Ugas This Saturday

--- Dunno what to say about this fight other than looks like the culmination of Al Haymon orchestration that gave Ugas the smallest measure of credibility possible to make this "fight," fight being just a useful marketing tool to disguise that Ugas is stink personified.

Don't think Spence coming off eye surgery needs a major statement, but rather sits back to pick apart the older, slower, less talented Ugas for a wide decision.

• Like 1

I'm sticking with the rust theme of the pandemic era. Ugas takes this one for me. For Spence it's not just rust; he's been through hell since he beat Porter. Squeaked by his last two fights, granted against elite opponents. Fought just once in 2.5 years. Ugas was fortunate to have fought just before the pandemic struck and had two fights since. Proved his bonafides vs Pacquiao - I'm inclined to credit him for sending Pac into retirement rather than saying Pac was already there beforehand - and didn't get spooked under the bright lights as the B side. Expect Ugas to be the sharper fighter on the night.

So many variables in this one.....

Not a 50-50 fight, but quite exciting regardless. (especially given the massive dearth of good fights so far this year.)

I do agree that Ugas is probably too slow to avoid the freight train of death that is Spence, especially at 35 y-o.

But he doesn't suck quite as bad as Bobby seems to think.

If nothing else, it's a really good tune-up fight for Spence.

• Like 1

Spence vs Ugas and Fury vs Whyte the bookmakers put the odds very similar for both fights.

Tyson Fury - 2/9

Dillian Whyte - 4/1

Draw - 45/1

Errol Spence Jr - 2/9

Yordenis Ugas - 9/2

Draw - 22/1

Anyone else think these odds are a) too close for Fury/Whyte...and b) too winde for Spence/Ugas?Spence vs Ugas and Fury vs Whyte the bookmakers put the odds very similar for both fights.

• Like 1

Bearing in mind that by now there's enough money in that the odds more reflect the bettors' preference than the original prices set by the bookies - and that bettors are more often than not wrong - the bettors like Whyte's chances a fair bit more than they like Ugas's; so take that with however many grains of salt that you wish. I'd also suspect - though I don't know - that these odds reflect a healthy dose of British action thus the "closer-ness" of the Fury-Whyte odds. The price is attractive if you like an Ugas upset or even a draw in that match imo.

- - I'd say Whyte has a much bigger chance of whooping or even KOing Fury who had to flee UK from AJ and still ain't secure enough to man up to AJ. Of course Whyte turned down the AJ rematch in America because he like Fury were targeting Haymon's easy low hanging fruit of Wilder.

If looks could kill, Ugh could take Spence, but his noggin more hardwired as passive. Spence may knock him out.

• Like 2

I honestly don't see anyone getting knocked out, a stoppage may come if a cut bad enough occurs or that type of thing, but Ugas lacks the power, while Spence hasn't stopped a top fighter since Brook. He just isn't a killer puncher, maybe he looked like that before, but that was against average fighters. Ugas also hasn't been stopped yet as a pro, to my knowledge. He def has the whiskers. This goes the distance 98% likely.
  • Like 1

*****SPOILERS*****

--- Kinda weird fight with Spence knocked into the ropes with some referee(Laurence Cole) interference, but otherwise busted Ugh a new one for the 10th round stoppage.

Perfunctory call out of Terence Crawford, but Bud won't take 40%, so that fight not likely to happen in spite of Spence holding 3 belts.

• Like 2

Spence was really good. Came out firing from the off and never relented. I may have been most impressed with Spence's punch resistance. Ugas landed some hellacious shots that staggered Spence or at least stopped him in his tracks. But each time Spence stepped straight back into the pocket and resumed laying the leather on Ugas. Ugas didn't throw enough because Spence wouldn't let him; the attack was relentless and kept Ugas in defense mode. Strong comeback by Spence. When it happens - that's WHEN - give me Spence over Crawford.
  • Like 1

Hopefully, we get the Bud Crawford fight this year. Is Terence a free agent now?

--- Last news I heared Floydy been gushing over promoting a great black champion. Don't think Bud has much interest from white promoters who don't want to get sued for racism like he did to Arum.

• Like 1

Crawford is indeed a free agent but I think a lot has to happen for him to enter the PBC universe. How much of a commitment will they require of him? What will his demands/expectations be? Will he price himself out? What are PBC's plans for Spence? Part of the purpose of Saturday's card was to set up the Spence/Ugas winner to face the Stanionis/Butaev winner. Stanionis may be next for Spence before another blockbuster. Don't forget Thurman whom PBC already has in house. Is PBC eyeing Spence-Thurman down the line? Perhaps Crawford-Thurman as a way to introduce Crawford as a PBC fighter. I don't think Crawford has the cache of Canelo who can call his shots fight-to-fight. A lot of dominoes yet to fall at 147.