Scot vs Englishman - Taylor vs Catterall SPOILER

LondonRingRules

Catterall isn't anywhere near Taylor's class. He's a quality fighter; he was on a decent trajectory but kinda lost his way over the last three years. Waiting for his mandatory shot. He must hold the record for longest reign as an alphabet intercontinental champion in history! Must know some people in high places to remain WBO top contender for so long. Considering he hasn't done much since 2018. Probably would have had a better chance had he gotten his shot while ripe. But he chose to step aside for Taylor-Ramirez. Combine that with the pandemic, and the delay since he became mandatory has been interminable. Taylor's beaten a who's-who at 140. As if 147 isn't stacked enough, that's likely his next destination.

--- See Taylor being managed by MTK.

With 90 yr old Arum aging in donkey years now, and 80 yr old Haymon soon to follow with DKing effectively diapered and Oscar melting in his fishnets daily, all the young cats seem to be swinging with MTK, perfectly poised to take over boxing.

What sayeth our MTK expert Selj in these unprecedented times of global instability?

• Like 1

I didn't really enjoy the fight between Taylor and Catterall. There was far too much head locks and holding and it was a very scrappy fight. So when it went to the judges I did think it was going to be a split decision.

Judges sitting at ringside probably seen Taylor as the aggressor as he backing Catterall onto the ropes, and possibly missed some of Catteralls punches and favoured Taylor when scoring. But, for me Catterall should of walked away with the belts. His tactics were spot on, he spoiled Taylors work and managed to get his own shots off. It's decisions like this that ruin boxing as a whole.

And Taylor post-fight interview annoyed me. Surely he can't be that deluded?

• Like 1

I had no problem with the decision. It was very close. Catterall had it in his hands but threw it away by retreating the last few rounds. He lost at least three of the last four rounds imo, and that was the difference. That said, Taylor was lucky to barely escape with the title. The disrupted buildup caused him to be less than his best. Credit to Catterall for being ready for prime time despite sitting on the shelf as mandatory for so long. For Taylor it's concerning if he's got his sights set on some prime welterweights. Gotta be doubts now whether he's up to it.

I don't think Taylor takes it. I think he's looking to move on likely to 147 or perhaps Teofimo moves up to challenge him. That would work for TopRank. Personally I disfavor immediate rematches. I think the sport gets bogged down when the same guys fight each other repeatedly. Absent a draw, accept the result and move on. It's unavoidable, of course, in the case of contractual provisions, but other than that, the loser needs to keep winning to earn a rematch down the line imo. The sport's in a better place when champions defend against a wider variety of opponents.

And Taylor post-fight interview annoyed me. Surely he can't be that deluded?

It was when he said he dominated the second half of the fight it annoyed me. He'd clearly forgotten that he'd been floored in round 8.

I've had a rewatch and just can't see how even the most myopically generous judges could give Taylor more than 5 rounds. Personally I scored it 8-4 in favour of Catterall giving him a 5 point victory margin.

• Like 1

Josh Taylor Statement:

"I have taken a few days for some well-earnt time with my family after not seeing them for a few months"

I’ve had a chance to watch the fight back. First and foremost, I want to congratulate Jack Catterrall on a great fight. He rose to the occasion and fought a valiant fight. However, I believe I won a very close fight.

"Many fans believe Jack deserved the decision, and that’s fine. We both went in there and fought our guts out for 13 rounds... but the personal attacks on myself and especially my family are disgusting and uncalled for.

"My days at 140 are numbered. My future is at welterweight. Jack Catterall deserves another title shot, and as soon as possible. I've never ducked a challenge in my career, and I’d be happy to fight Jack again, but it would have to be at welterweight. Jack is a great sportsman, a helluva fighter, and deserves every bit of admiration he’s been receiving.

"I want to thank my family, my team, the fans who packed the OVO Hydro, and everyone who watched on Sky Sports, ESPN+, and around the world.

“Fighting as the undisputed champion on Scottish soil as a dream come true, but I’m only getting started. I’ll be back and better than ever, this time ready to conquer the welterweight division.”

"I have taken a few days for some well-earnt time with my family after not seeing them for a few months"

• Like 1

British boxing body looks into scoring in world title fight

Associated Press

British boxing authorities are investigating the scoring of a world title fight that saw Scottish fighter Josh Taylor retain his light-welterweight belts in a split-decision victory.

English challenger Jack Catterall outboxed Taylor and landed more successful punches than his rival in Saturday’s bout but two of the three judges still scored in favor of the champion, who was fighting in his home country.

“The British Boxing Board of Control will be investigating the scoring of this contest,” the governing body said Monday, ”and will advise accordingly.”

Catterall’s trainer, Jamie Moore, described the scoring as “disgusting” and said his previously unbeaten fighter was “robbed.”

It was Taylor’s first defense of his WBA, WBC, IBF and WBO belts.

Place your bets:

How many days will it take before the BBOC completely buries this under the rug?

I say seven.

I think they've already brushed it under the carpet. In the public eye they have to look as if there doing something but nothing much will come of it.

Dodgy judging will always be in World boxing and British boxing, it's part of boxing unfortunately.

• Like 1

MTK update after concerns of death threats after Josh Taylor vs. Jack Catterall fight

Following the Josh Taylor vs. Jack Catterall fight on Saturday, MTK Global is saddened and deeply concerned to learn of insults, personal attacks and even death threats targeting the fighters, their partners and their families. This has to stop immediately.

https://www.ringnews24.com/2022/03/02/mtk-update-after-concerns-of-death-threats-after-josh-taylor-vs-jack-catterall-fight/

• Like 1