Warrington vs Lara

Ledhed1

Assuming this match actually comes off, this is a dangerous spot for Warrington. Lara is a tough customer and he's kept busy over the last six months; Warrington hasn't fought since Oct 2019. Add the potential distractions for Warrington - he opted to relinquish the IBF belt in the wake of a failed attempt to arrange a unification vs. Xu Can, and Hearn has a lot a balls in the air for future marquee fights, e.g. Russell, with an eye on The Ring title - Josh could be looking past this one. Many ingredients in place for an upset here.
  • Like 1

Warrington speaking on Mauricio Lara fight (this coming Saturday 13th) “The next fight is always the most important one. You can’t afford to slip up. For my legacy as a fighter, I want to be known as someone who went in there and beat the best. This is the pinnacle of my career." default-madlol.gif
  • Like 1

- -Hard to know where to start with this weekend one of the worst ever in the sheer panoply of horrific officiating, by this fight perhaps that posterboy. Warrington had no friends that night in his corner, the ref and others, nor did the kid save for his corner who finally jumped the ropes to go check on him with water ready during his "sentencing" to the neutral corner while paras worked feverishly on Josh. Whole of the BBbc should be hauled to traflagar square to be placed in the stocks and pelted with rotten tomatoes and eggs. Had some magnificent fighters doing their parts, but that ain't enough to save boxing who has a long road back if ever returning to a sense of dubious credibility.

- -Hard to know where to start with this weekend one of the worst ever in the sheer panoply of horrific officiating, by this fight perhaps that posterboy. Warrington had no friends that night in his corner, the ref and others, nor did the kid save for his corner who finally jumped the ropes to go check on him with water ready during his "sentencing" to the neutral corner while paras worked feverishly on Josh. Whole of the BBbc should be hauled to traflagar square to be placed in the stocks and pelted with rotten tomatoes and eggs. Had some magnificent fighters doing their parts, but that ain't enough to save boxing who has a long road back if ever returning to a sense of dubious credibility.

It's so rare when I get to agree with you 100%, that I have to really enjoy this moment. lol... :thumb:

And how about that Howard Foster?

One of the most infamous officials in the sport today, strikes again. And this time, twice in one night! (As a ref & as a judge.)

That level of corruption is nothing if not impressive.

An obvious question is: What should team Lara do NOW?

IMO, the guy has obvious power and plenty of Mexican cajones, but he desperately needs to learn defense. He's only 22 y-o, so it's totally plausible that he could do so.

If I were his team, I'd take at LEAST 2 years off, and work on almost nothing else. One year for technical stuff, muscle-memory etc, then another year with some high-level sparring mixed in. When 2023 comes around, everyone will still remember this victory, and promoters will likely be very keen to have him on their cards. A defensively-tweaked Lara would have a good shot against anyone.

However, if instead they start padding his record with journeymen, waiting for the next big chance, he'll likely never progress, and just get blown out of the water when the opportunity comes up.

Edited by Cableaddict

An obvious question is: What should team Lara do NOW?

IMO, the guy has obvious power and plenty of Mexican cajones, but he desperately needs to learn defense. He's only 22 y-o, so it's totally plausible that he could do so.

If I were his team, I'd take at LEAST 2 years off, and work on almost nothing else. One year for technical stuff, muscle-memory etc, then another year with some high-level sparring mixed in. When 2023 comes around, everyone will still remember this victory, and promoters will likely be very keen to have him on their cards. A defensively-tweaked Lara would have a good shot against anyone.

However, if instead they start padding his record with journeymen, waiting for the next big chance, he'll likely never progress, and just get blown out of the water when the opportunity comes up.

I wouldn't have thought he's made anywhere near enough money to have such a long lay off!

No fucker will remember who he is two years down the line.

I don't think he's someone who suddenly is the next big thing. He just got in there and blasted Warrington out. His limited abilities will be exposed when he meets anyone else half decent who doesn't get into a gun fight.

His smart move is the move quickly onto 1 or two big paydays while his name is still hot. Even if he was to lose his next big fight, the Warrington win should still give him some sizzle to have another big fight before it fizzles out and he carries on fighting in Mexico, low key.

That's how this tale is going to go.

I wouldn't have thought he's made anywhere near enough money to have such a long lay off!

No fucker will remember who he is two years down the line.

I don't think he's someone who suddenly is the next big thing. He just got in there and blasted Warrington out. His limited abilities will be exposed when he meets anyone else half decent who doesn't get into a gun fight.

His smart move is the move quickly onto 1 or two big paydays while his name is still hot. Even if he was to lose his next big fight, the Warrington win should still give him some sizzle to have another big fight before it fizzles out and he carries on fighting in Mexico, low key.

That's how this tale is going to go.

If he was 32 years old, I'd agree with you, but he's only 22.