Harold Lederman Passes Away From Cancer, 79-Years-old RIP

WSMFC64

Harold Lederman, best known as the unofficial scorekeeper for HBO Boxing, passed away at the age of 79-years-old. Veteran promoter Lou DiBella confirmed that Lederman passed away after a long battle with cancer.

Lederman began his career as a boxing judge in 1967 and joined the cast of HBO World Championship Boxing in 1986. He was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in the class of 2016. In 2006 he received the "Good Guy Award" from the Boxing Writers Association of America.

harold-lederman.jpg

He earned a license from New York's State Athletic Commission to judge title fights on June 26, 1967. He judged over a hundred title fights while maintaining his pharmacy practice in New York. In 1986, HBO executive producer Ross Greenburg invited Lederman to join HBO's World Championship Boxing. During his run on HBO, Lederman would often detail his scorecard during fights and HBO would run graphics after every round to reveal Lederman's scoring of the action.

Lederman retired from active judging in 1999, but remained with the HBO Boxing crew until the very end of the network's run with sport. In 2018, HBO made an unexpected decision to drop boxing after 45-years of showcasing the sport on their network.

His daughter, Julie Lederman, followed in his footsteps and also became a boxing judge.

Re: Harold Lederman Passes Away From Cancer, 79-Years-old RIP

--- God Bless, Harold.

Had no idea he was there at HBO from start to finish. Thought him one of the few good guys among boxing suits, but he was also sorta like the mouthy little brother you can't shake when in his over the top irritating mode. I'm assuming his last few at HBO were with him afflicted by cancer, so that's like major league tough guy stuff.

Re: Harold Lederman Passes Away From Cancer, 79-Years-old RIP

R.I.P. to Harold Lederman. He was a gentlemen in the sport of boxing. I had the pleasure to talk to him numerous times at boxing cards in NY, NJ, Philly and Connecticut. He once snuck me into a post fight press conference because he initially thought i was press. When i told him i wasn't, he said "It's ok, you're with me." He was always smiling and willing to chat with just about anyone. He will truly be missed. Bye Harold.