People you wasn't aware were still active?

I just discovered Beibut Shumenov is still active AND holding the WBA cruiser title. Both things came as a surprise to me, I thought that after the Hopkins loss he just kinda dwindled and retired eventually. What about you, have you been surprised like this? I guess I was also slightly surprised Wlodarczyk is still fighting.

Re: People you wasn't aware were still active?

I just discovered Beibut Shumenov is still active AND holding the WBA cruiser title.

Well he only has the WBA WORLD title, not the Super World title. (seriously, it's the WBA.)

I think they're now considering a Super-DUPER World title.

----------------

Shumenov is an interesting guy. Evidently he's a multi-millionaire businessman, who just loves to box, and trains himself.

He's not bad, either, though certainly not elite-class.

- but I gave up on him after the BHop fight. Not because he lost, but because he barely did anything in the ring. It was a total non-performance. Sure, BHop is a defensive master, and can frustrate anyone not named Smith, but Shumenov didn't even try in that fight.

--- Obviously Shu was massively weight drained at LH and been at 200 ever since.

Keep in mind he literally had no cornerman in that fight though he may have hired someone to hand him a water bottle and towel from below. He had superior talent to go further than he has in boxing, but mentally no wedded to the sacrifices and focus needed for elite status, an oddball to be sure. Back story was I recall he had a brother boxing and almost died after drinking adulterated milk as a child.

I think above all, Shumenov was and is very physically strong and a hard puncher. He does appear to have some skills but is primarily a destroyer type. That doesn't work against a guy like Bhop, he just neutralizes you if you are not so experienced or clever. Same what he did to Pavlik.