Ryan Burnett vs Nonito Donaire

Undefeated

And NEW....

Nonito Donaire ends the undefeated record of the WBSS Bantamweight number 1 seed and captures the WBA World Bantamweight Title with a 4th round TKO victory over Ryan Burnett.

Burnett retired on his stool after suffering a back injury. I thought Donaire was ahead at the time of the stoppage, how far can he go in the tournament and who was ahead on your card?

Edited by LondonRingRules

Re: Ryan Burnett vs Nonito Donaire

And NEW....

Nonito Donaire ends the undefeated record of the WBSS Bantamweight number 1 seed and captures the WBA World Bantamweight Title with a 4th round TKO victory over Ryan Burnett.

Burnett retired on his stool after suffering a back injury. I thought Donaire was ahead at the time of the stoppage, how far can he go in the tournament and who was ahead on your card?

I thought it was pretty even, hard to say. Rounds were very close. Good fight and a great shame it ended so fast.

The commentary team were talking about Burnett was ahead which is why I asked since the 4th was a 10-8 round for Donaire so they must have given Burnett the first 3 rounds which personally I can't concur with but as you say it was a good fight and was shaping up to be an even better fight, I expected Donaire to be totally outclassed so when I saw he wasn't I had hoped for a more satisfactory ending than what we saw.

Horrible way for one to lose his world title, undefeated record and suffer elimination from the tournament. I wish him a speedy recovery.

--- Nonito was just a baby coming up, yet rocketed to the Ring p4p ratings as the world became his oyster.

Married with a kid after ditching Robert Garcia as his trainer, the wheels came off. That he persevered after so many setbacks is the story of boxing encapsulated. Burnette can rebuild and start the cycle anew.

... Amen...

I've watched it since the 3rd round. I thought that Burnett won the 3rd and Donaire obviously the 4th, but he looked better than I expected in both rounds. Tete didn't look particulary impressive in last two fights. He can control the fight with his jab, but I'm giving some credit for Donaire's abilitites.

Man, i was certainly wrong about Donaire. I thought he was look like a depleted weight drained old fighter. There was snap in his punches. Although he didn't have that trademark side to side movement. Still, i believe it wouldn't have been an easy fight for Ryan Burnett as long as it lasted. Disappointed it ended the way that it did. Lose your title and undefeated record on a fluke injury. Does anyone know if he's dealt with back issues previously?

--- Yet another big FAIL for boxing when the boxing suits made a mockery of their compilation of the judges scores.

Not only is there a crossed out error, but Judge Marin's score of Burnett's side of the ledger shows a 38 score at the time of the stoppage, but the numbers add up to 37, meaning Donaire was ahead on that portion of the card...only in boxing!

981e6447-9aeb-4c47-89a7-4909c9a53ff7.jpeg

--- Yet another big FAIL for boxing when the boxing suits made a mockery of their compilation of the judges scores.

Not only is there a crossed out error, but Judge Marin's score of Burnett's side of the ledger shows a 38 score at the time of the stoppage, but the numbers add up to 37, meaning Donaire was ahead on that portion of the card...only in boxing!

Funnily enough Marin is the only one who didn't give everything to Burnett after 3, and the miscalculation is actually by 2 points in the wrong direction, not 1. Not sure why it says TKO 5 on all of their scorecards either when it was a 4th round stoppage, I hope someone competent gives these the once over when the fight goes the distance or is stopped on an accidental foul and there's a decision!

FWIW, I think Donaire may have taken the third, but I'd have to score very carefully to be sure. Burnett was missing a LOT of shots, and Donaire landed some excellent flurries.

Not that it really matters.

Edited by Cableaddict

Is this like a "master sheet" that one official fills out following a fight, having taken each judges cards and then replicating it? It is clearly all in the same hand writing.

So is that the reason for the delay between the end of fights and the announcement? Because some numpty is filling this in?

If they fill it out copying what the judges wrote down then its error duplication, or do the judges scoring the fight simply fill out the round scores, and its at this point on the official "adjudicator's" sheet that they have the running total column? In that regard it's an error on this officals part.

Either way it didn't exactly matter in this instance, but it is pretty sloppy stuff none the less, and another good time to ask the question of why are they still not just using an automated, electronic system that would avoid all of this palava.

Something to tweet about from my Fight-Score account anyway :haha:

Is this like a "master sheet" that one official fills out following a fight, having taken each judges cards and then replicating it? It is clearly all in the same hand writing.

So is that the reason for the delay between the end of fights and the announcement? Because some numpty is filling this in?

--- Happens that Burnett suffered a torn right oblique muscle, not a back injury. Explanation here...

Ryan Burnett diagnosed with torn oblique muscle in right side

Answer my question damnit!! :haha:

--- We never see the individual judge tally, that would expose boxing too much.

The master card is filled out by some jughaid, and yeah, I obviously focused on another judge card saying 38 before I corrected my errors save for the 38, And since different commishes have different rules for scoring corner retirements, the master copy guy was going on they quit after the 5th would have started I guess because he wasn't immediately notified.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this was mentioned on the forum, but it was on this card. How atrocious was the scorecards in that Zach Parker vs Darryl Williams fight? Has to be nominated as one of the worst robberies this year. Watched an interview with Williams, he was basically in tears. It's a shame.

Not sure if this was mentioned on the forum, but it was on this card. How atrocious was the scorecards in that Zach Parker vs Darryl Williams fight? Has to be nominated as one of the worst robberies this year. Watched an interview with Williams, he was basically in tears. It's a shame.

What's that you say? Corruption n boxing? SAY IT 'AINT SO !!! "

As obvious as Trump's constant lies, and just as impossible to stop........