WBSS - Prograis vs Flanagan ; Baranchyk vs Yigit

Mastrangelo

Re: WBSS - Prograis vs Flanagan ; Baranchyk vs Yigit

--- Agree that fights between young fringe contenders can be great stuff.

Prograis seems to be a right nasty piece of work but may have to work harder than usual, but none stand out as future big names, the main ongoing problem with boxing aside from the never ending promotional camps unable to coherently work with rivals.

I didn't know that Baranchyk now trains with Pedro Diaz.

Thx. Very interesting!

--------------------

As for the fight tonight, I must admit I haven't been paying close attention to 140 lbs for quite some time, so there's a whole lotta' names on those lists that I've never seen fight (IIRC) including Yigit.

Prograis vs Terry Flanagan, on the other hand - Boy HOWDY! Now those guys I sure know about. What an exciting matchup. Two completely different fighters.

I gotta' go with Prograis by KO, as I think that (despite his somewhat awkward offense) his defense is better, but I'm not putting money down.

Flanagan may not have much power, but he's awfully skilled, has speed, and seemingly a really good chin.

It's a great test for Prograis, who isn't the most polished ball in the bowling alley. He likely not seen this much slickness or toughness as yet in his pro career.

It could be one of the best fights of the year.

Edited by Cableaddict

Sounds like You're not familiar with World Boxing Super Series format? If They keep winning, They gonna meet in the final! Althought I think Josh Taylor will have something to say about that.

Like me, LRR mustn't have seen the starting chart / line-up. But it's not too bad an assumption to make that these fighters were all on the same side of the draw, and so the winners would meet in the semi final.

Never the less, an fun night of boxing, I watched it as I had just arrived home from my trip back from the Canary Islands! A day of waiting around the hotel, and then the airport and then a 4 hour flight. Then the clocks went back and so even though it was 4am by the time the fights were finished, it was really 5am and I was knackered!

Yigit's eye was a horror and surprised it went as long as it did. Baranchyk looks like one of the crude march forward Eastern block Mexican style brawlers but could be a handful for anyone. Prograis showed some sublime skills in his fight with the tough and gritty Flanagan. These were simply levels apart, probably a disappointment that Regis didn't close the show after he put Terry down in the mid rounds. By this point I was concentrating on the Jacobs / Derevyanchenko fight so didn't fully pay attention, but it was clear Prograis was the better man.

Yigit's eye was a horror and surprised it went as long as it did.

Same here. That should have been called off like 2 rounds before it was. Best fight of the weekend imo though, great toe to toe action between two warriors. Gutted for Turbo, really wanted him to do the business but sadly he wasn't anywhere near good enough, Prograis vs Taylor in the final PLEASE!