Scott Harrison

WSMFC64

Scott Harrison hoping to put the past firmly behind him with a world title in his sights

scott-harrison-1.jpg

The 41-year-old former two-time WBO featherweight champion was released from prison in July after serving three years for an assault in Spain in 2012.

Veteran boxer Scott Harrison is on the comeback trail and has a world title in his sights.

The 41-year-old former two-time WBO featherweight champion was released from prison in July after serving three years for an assault in Spain in 2012.

Harrison was granted a licence from the British & Irish Boxing Authority after being denied by the British Boxing Board of Control and will be back in action at Glasgow Club Bellahouston in Glasgow on December 8 against an opponent who will be named within a week.

Speaking at his gym in Glasgow, he said: "The goal is to win the world title again.

"I have definitely got unfinished business. One minute you are at the top of the game and the next minute you have lost your license, it is a bit hard to take.

"I am in the gym five days a week and train three times per day.

"I am very focused on being world champion again and I wouldn't bet against me.

"I think it is my time again, I believe that. I am very motivated, focused and determined to win a world title again.

"Everyone knows what happened to my career but you try to look to the future, not the past.

"This is me back and looking forward to the future and hopefully finish off my career on a high.

"I feel good in sparring, doing my roadwork and shadow boxing. I feel very capable of winning the title again."

Harrison's last fight was a points defeat by Liam Walsh at Wembley Arena in a WBO European lightweight title bout in April, 2013 but he pointed to mitigating circumstances.

He said: "It was not ideal preparation. I had an extradition case hanging over me and I had only two-and-a-half weeks' notice for the fight.

"I was in the jail, Saturday, Sunday and Monday and boxed Saturday night.

"I still thought I won the fight but take all that into consideration. This time I will focus on boxing 100 per cent."

Source- Independent & Western Daily Press

Re: Scott Harrison

I was astonished by this yesterday - I remember the travesty of him going back to Spain amid his last comeback, but thought he must have won his appeal and just faded from view - didn't realise he'd been sent down again, poor sod.

I wish him all the best as I loved him in his prime, couldn't face the Walsh fight, but he relied almost entirely on his physicality to get him through fights and that started to fail him in later fights(though he was boozing then) - I can't see him having any impact.

--- This is hardly the look of a feather or lightweight any more.

http://static.boxrec.com/c/c1/Scott_Harrison.jpg

He was one of the early monster drainers, but at his booze addled age, it's debatable of he could even make welter, but I guess since he'll put a few rumps in seats, we'll find out soon enough at the lower levels of boxing. Probably worth a watch if we could catch the video.

• 1 month later...

Scott Harrison 'devastated' after comeback fight postponed

[h=2]The 41-year-old's ring return has been put back after his opponent suffered an injury.[/h]

615283-scott-harrison.jpg

Scott Harrison's boxing comeback has been postponed after his opponent suffered an injury.

The former world featherweight champion was due to make his return to the ring after five years out against Tackie Annan in Glasgow on Saturday.

But Ghanaian fighter Annan has pulled up injured in the build-up, with the entire show at Glasgow Club Bellahouston now put back until "the start of next year".

The 41-year-old Bellshill athlete is said to be "devastated" at the cancellation, according to his father and trainer.

Peter Harrison told STV: "Scott was really looking forward to this fight, he is devastated.

"He has done a lot of hard over the couple of months, we don't know when the fight will be rescheduled for."

Promoter Lee McCallister added in a social media post: "Absolutely gutted to announce that the Scott Harrison headlined boxing show in Glasgow on December 8 has been put back to the start of next year!

"Gutted for all the fighters who have put in good camps and got themselves in cracking shape to fight.

"Sorry to all the boxing fans who were looking forward to the show and seeing their local favourite fighters in action!"

Source STV Scotland