Terence Crawford vs Jose Benavidez

LondonRingRules

Re: Terence Crawford vs Jose Benavidez

The 17,000 cap stadium was sold out months ago and it wasnt ppv on espn, so there was no need to hype the fight up with manufactured bullshit.

It wasn't sold out, it's in Crawford's homtown and the crowd was 13,323 according to ESPN. They started the promotion ages ago and still couldn't sell out his hometown, so yeah I think he needs hype to keep his momentum going - coincidentally, Arum says he's going on PPV next year, so that could be fun.

The terrible thing for Crawford is he doesn't seem to care very much - he says Benavidez didn't deserve the fight, but shrugs his shoulders and says he's just going to carry on as he is - everything will sort itself out in the end.

Edited by gavpowell

13,323 according to ESPN

Correct, a sell out. 17,560 is the MAX capacity but then depending on the event/staging/seating/aisles etc reduces the max considerably.

"It will be a partisan crowd in Crawford’s hometown of Omaha, Nebraska, with the CHI Health Center sold out"

Souce: Link

And $3.6m not bad for a small hometown fight

Twitter

4000 seems quite a large discrepency in reduction from max capacity. Infact I'd have though boxing would be able to hold more towards the max capacity given that there would be floor seating as well as, presumably, the entire regular/permanent seating of the tiers.

Maybe, for whatever reason they only decided to sell that 13,000 or so tickets, and since they all sold it was a "sell out"? I dunno.

@Ton

The general point here - thet gav cant seem to grasp - or doesnt want to, being his usual miniscule, detail-picking annoying self, as is his demeanor 9 times outta 10 - is that the beef was real and not bullshit to 'sell' the fight. The stadium was sold out (numerous sources) and wasnt ppv, so didnt need artificially hyping-up.

Fair enough Sel. Gav makes some valid points with Crawfords attitude, but it seems the "beef" was real.

Think Crawford has dreams of fighting those big name opponents and cementing a legacy? Or will he be content selling out his 13000 local stadium, earning a few million every 6 months regardless of level of opposition, having come up through a tough upbringing?

Afaik the biggest venue in Vegas is the T-Mobile at 20,000 max cap. No doubt someone will abruptly correct me if im wrong. So apart from the prestige of fighting there makes little difference. I wud imagine hes happy locally making $3.6m per fight. Although it seems he is destined for a ppv or two which may dictate a venue outside Omaha. :haha: