Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin

LondonRingRules

--- Super big under the radar fight for lack of controversy, but Josh fighting the guy Deyonce ducked out on and should be for the Ring belt but ain't because of Ring obstinence.

Soon to be a Spoiler! Josh around 245lbs and Povetkin at 222.

One of the reasons I started my boxing site where I'm honored to pen my 400th article, approx 50 articles every year coming near the end of my 8th year. I provide independent observation free of the oversight of the boxing biz.

Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin | Bobby Mac's Straight Shooter

Edited by LondonRingRules

Re: Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin

Nvm 'Spoilers' what about spamming :lmao:

Serously, if anyone has not visited LRR's site - then do so - and get it bookmarked. Well done Bobby, nice milestone. Keep up the good work.

On a sidenote: AJ appears waaaay too relaxed for me. I know Povetkin is a lummox, and a pretty clumsy one at that, but like we keep saying it only takes one half-reasonable crack at the side of the swede in this division.

I think it will be just like AJ - Parker.

The ref will keep them from fighting on the inside, and thus AJ will cruise to another boring, meaningless victory.

I think so too. Povetkin being so much shorter, his best chance of surviving and maybe getting a decision, is by boxing and defending himself, counterpunching. But unless he manages to put the big man down a couple times, no way is he getting the nod.

Spoilers time!!

Joshua comes through yet more tough times. Suffers a suspected broken nose after Povetkin catches him at the very end of round 1, still looked a bit off for round two. Then gets into the bout. Finally lands a few telling bombs in round 7 to put Povetkin down and out. Ref waves the fight off after a second knockdown.

AJ will always land something to turn a fight and end it it seems!

One of the reasons I started my boxing site where I'm honored to pen my 400th article, approx 50 articles every year coming near the end of my 8th year. I provide independent observation free of the oversight of the boxing biz.

Anthony Joshua vs Alexander Povetkin | Bobby Mac's Straight Shooter

Nice work Bobby!! :thumb:

Joshua was too lax in there tonight for the most part - he seemed to be waiting when he should be throwing, all the while getting caught from mid-range by Povetkin's hooks, Ironically,I'd just said to someone "Joshua needs to throw" when he did and it was all over. But he cannot fight like that against Fury or Wilder - the former would dance around landing jabs and sneering, while the latter would take his head clean off. And the cop-out at the end "Who shall I face? Let's let the fans decide!" Just pick one.

--- Saw a 10 min highlight clip of every rd, and as I predicted, Povetkin proved to be problematic.

Josh made to look clumsy at times and off balance enough to almost go down, so he stayed actively patient that serves him well over distance but for the KO. Wilder much easier to hit and Fury looking weak as a kitten and clumsy in his last two fights. neither close to Povetkin style and quickness.

And their fighting to sort it out amongst themselves, hallelujahs!

--- Ruled ghost nanograms below threshold of automatic suspension. In Canelo's case same ruling save for Vegas attempting to whitewash their crookedness from the TUE 50-0 incident by arbitrarily imposing a 6 month suspension.

Net result is zero grams or ghost nanograms, boxing fans gonna moan no matter.

After eating some tough shots from pedvetkin in rounds 1 and 2 I genuinely thought he was going to lose the fight. He made the necessary adjustments and comeback so all credit to him. I wonder what would happen if those shots he eat were from Wilder. I could definitely see a flash knockdown occurring.

But he cannot fight like that against Fury or Wilder - the former would dance around landing jabs and sneering, while the latter would take his head clean off. And the cop-out at the end "Who shall I face? Let's let the fans decide!" Just pick one.

Agree with Fury & Wilder potentially having success against AJ, but you'd hope he would adjust accordingly to their styles.

And in fairness to him, once he'd calmed down on the mic (he always seems a bit excitable on it after a fight), at the very end he did say his preference would be Wilder.

It's easy to listen to the bluster coming from Fury and Wilder and ignore the fact that Joshua has a better record than either of them. Fury's best win was a bit smoke and mirrors as he didn't actually do that much against Klitschko other flick out jabs and Wilder's best win was over a fat 40 year old and he got badly hurt on the way.

I was surprised how successful Povetkin was early on. He was getting threw Joshua’s guard too easy. Joshua still looks wild at times and too open when he tries to throw big combinations while standing still. He did better when he was using his footwork and picking his shots in small bunches. I still think Joshua has a lot to learn defensively. AJ is lucky that Povetkin is 39 and at the tail end of his career. Nice for Joshua to be acknowledged as the first person to stop the tough Russian.

Fury's best win was a bit smoke and mirrors as he didn't actually do that much against Klitschko other flick out jabs .

Thank God someone still remembers this - I keep seeing Fury credited with loads of boxing talent and how he outboxed Klitschko using his speed. I didn't see any of that, I saw a Wlad who refused to engage and a Fury who mostly wanted to sneer and flick out the odd jab.

Thank God someone still remembers this - I keep seeing Fury credited with loads of boxing talent and how he outboxed Klitschko using his speed. I didn't see any of that, I saw a Wlad who refused to engage and a Fury who mostly wanted to sneer and flick out the odd jab.

I saw Wlad throw the fight.

But what do I know? ........

--- Glad to see you on board with the obvious talents Fury possesses. Many hate his guts and never gave him his proper due.

It's not that Wlad refused to engage, it's more like after such a long epic career, his gf after the birth of their baby daughter went into deep depression, completely wrecking their longtime storybook love story. Mentally he just wasn't really there. Additionally he had been harassed incessantly by Briggs video taping those encounters. I'm surprised nobody thought to tell him to obtain a restraining order as Briggs was doing a lot of dangerous stuff, like the attempted brawl in the restaurant that result in glass shattering that bled both and Briggs being tackled down by the 350 lb body guard who chased him out of the restaurant. Then when Briggs rented a speed both used to knock Wlad off his paddle board in a sea canal in Floriduh. He could have been KOed or knocked a bunch of teeth out and drowned. That stunt is expressly serious enough to go to a felony conviction in the maritime courts that handle such affairs.

The rematch was gonna be great with Wlad's girl recovered and Briggs out of the picture now, but then Fury crumpled, and so here we are with a new truly great champ. All's well in heavyweight boxing now Gavvy, so when you sit back to rest yer keister, click the tube on and watch a Josh classic!

--- Glad to see you on board with the obvious talents Fury possesses. Many hate his guts and never gave him his proper due.

I have nothing against Fury as a fighter - I was there the night he made his pro debut against some poor schmuck, and I defended him numerous times in his early career, but I'm not convinced he's dazzlingly talented. Good footwork, plenty of heart, but I've not seen huge amounts of skill from him, and certainly not vs Wlad, when I spent most of the 12 rounds screaming "THROW SOMETHING!" at both men via the TV.

You can use whatever justifications you like for Wlad's performance, but the fact is he just didn't do much of anything and that's why he lost. I think Wlad might have performed better in the rematch but he'd have still lost to Joshua and I think once his shot at the records had gone, he had little reason to continue.

Really enjoyed the fight. Povetkin went in as a Top 3/5 Heavyweight. Hugely experienced. 3 of his last 5 opponents were over 6'5.

Seems Joshua went in after having flu but fought in a composed manner.

Didn't think Joshua was in any trouble but took some good shots.

The ending was spectacular.