Anyone want to discuss Donnie Nietes vs Aston Palicte?

repsac

Re: Anyone want to discuss Donnie Nietes vs Aston Palicte?

Anyone watch the fight saturday night? Thoughts on the decision? Not sure how the 2 judges with the most experience were able to come to the conclusion that Palicte won anything more than 4 rounds.

I had it 115-113 for Nietes ;-) I can't see it as 116-112 for Palicte, but I thought that Nietes was often too passive in the second half of the rounds. This is why I think the fight might look closer to some than HBO crew presented it. Sometimes, you just need a one clean shot at the end of the round to make a statement, but Nietes often lacked it. On the other hand, even if less effective, Palicte was pushing the action and this may influence the judges. Of course, the clean, effective blows are the most important, but if you have a guy that lands several clean shots at the beginning and slows down versus the guy that walks forward and throws with more consistency (even if less effective), this makes the round debatable to me. This is what I think about it. Nietes won, but he didn't push the action enough to make a definite statement in some rounds. I don't like when the boxer fights like he already has a win in the pack and he doesn't need to do that much. I feel like it was a case with this performance by Nietes. I don't feel like draw is a robbery. Not 116-112 fight for Palicte, but neither 118-110 for Nietes describes the fight well.

Re: Anyone want to discuss Donnie Nietes vs Aston Palicte?

Watched it again. Although there were several close rounds, the majority of those rounds i scored for Nietes. He did just a bit more to secure it on my score card. Couldn't find 5 rounds to give to Palicte.