[NOW CONTAINS SPOILERS] Anyone giving Sam Sexton a chance against Hughie Fury?

Exclusive: Sam Sexton’s fulfils title promise to his late mother after being close to retirement

Sam Sexton won the British title at his third attempt against Gary Cornish at the Meadowbank Sports Centre, Edinburgh. The 33-year-old won the fight on points to be crowned British champion.

Exclusive: Sam Sexton’s fulfils title promise to his late mother after being close to retirement - Boxing News - Ring News24

Exclusive: Sam Sexton: “If the same Hughie Fury [vs Joseph Parker] turns up then things are going to go my way”

Sam Sexton won the British title at his third attempt against Scotland’s Gary Cornish at the Meadowbank Sports Centre, Edinburgh. The 6’2 Norwich boxer won the fight on points away from home with scorecards of 114-116, 114-115 and 113-116.

Exclusive: Sam Sexton: “If the same Hughie Fury [vs Joseph Parker] turns up then things are going to go my way” - Boxing News - Ring News24

Exclusive: Sam Sexton’s career hangs in the balance as world title fight looms; Defeat is the end of his career

Sam Sexton’s career hangs in the balance as he is set to defend his British title against Hughie Fury this Saturday at the Bolton Whites Hotel, Bolton, live on channel 5.

Exclusive: Sam Sexton’s career hangs in the balance as world title fight looms; Defeat is the end of his career - Boxing News - Ring News24

Exclusive: Sam Sexton is willing to settle an old score against Dillian Whyte as he aims for [Wilder’s] WBC title

Sam Sexton hasn’t hidden the fact he wanted the Dillian Whyte fight before his fight with Hughie Fury was announced.

Exclusive: Sam Sexton is willing to settle an old score against Dillian Whyte as he aims for [Wilder’s] WBC title - Boxing News - Ring News24

Joe Joyce is being fast tracked to stardom and a fight against Dereck Chisora was suggested before Chisora put an end to that with his ridiculous demands. Team Joyce reached out to Sam Sexton to make the fight for the British title, but again the door was slammed shut when Sexton chose to fight Hughie Fury instead of the Putney boxer.

Exclusive: Sam Sexton rips into Joe Joyce’s manager Sam Jones; He’s a snake and a liar

Joe Joyce is being fast tracked to stardom and a fight against Dereck Chisora was suggested before Chisora put an end to that with his ridiculous demands. Team Joyce reached out to Sam Sexton to make the fight for the British title, but again the door was slammed shut when Sexton chose to fight Hughie Fury instead of the Putney boxer.

Exclusive: Sam Sexton rips into Joe Joyce’s manager Sam Jones; He’s a snake and a liar - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Anyone giving Sam Sexton a chance against Hughie Fury?

Against the ferocious, bone crushing menace that is Hughie Fury?

Hughie, who cuts a path of devastation straight down the HW division,

crushing and smashing to bits all those foolish mortals who dare to get in his way?

Like Godzilla powering through Tokyo? :boxing:

........ And then Fury woke up.

Edited by Cableaddict

I'm struggling to see past Hughie Fury.

I think Sexton will be up for the fight as its retirement or to push on for a big fight. He mentioned that it would be a long time from now to get to were he is at now. And at 33 years old, this is his last chance. Hughie's style might suit Sexton. I'm looking forward to Saturday night and best of all its on free TV.

Hughie wins.

Anyone seen Porky's corner?

He really rates Hughie.

Im not sold on him totally but he is only 23.

"Porky's corner" is an actual thing? ;-)

Wait, let me re-phrase that:

"Porky's corner" is an actual thing that I should take SERIOUSLY?

I think Hughie will win. And likely by stoppage. Sexton even struggled against that huge piece of lumber that is Cornish. Tho I think that was because of Cornish's size. I think Hughie will maul him and win by a TKO somewhere between rounds 6 and 10.

Well it wasn't pretty for 4 rounds, but Fury eventually go himself going, stopped just running backwards and unleashed some perfectly time shots. Had Sexton down at the very end of round 4 with a well timed 1-2 combination, while in the 5th a perfectly timed straight as he was stuck in the corner put Sexton down a second time, and the ref waved it off.

It may have been a premature stoppage some may say, but Sexton wasn't even getting close to Fury, and while Fury isn't a big hitter, they were pretty heavy falls.

Fair play to getting Sexton out of there, now it's a case of where does he go?

His team said pretty much they will drop the British title and move onto European level fighters, but they also dismissed the likes of Price, Whyte, Joyce and Chisora.

I think a fight against Chisora would be a good learning fight, while maybe a Joyce fight is slightly premature and dangerous for either of them at this stage.

I think Hughie will win. And likely by stoppage. Sexton even struggled against that huge piece of lumber that is Cornish. Tho I think that was because of Cornish's size. I think Hughie will maul him and win by a TKO somewhere between rounds 6 and 10.

##### SPOILER ALERT ! ######

Good call, Boz. I thought the only way you could be right is if Sexton took a dive, which wouldn't have surprised me at all.

But I see he went down 2X prior to the end, so maybe it was legit.

- Mind you, I only Boxrec'ed it. I couldn't be bother to actually watch another Hughie Fury fight.

Let me guess: Hughie was once again sporting that huge outbreak of bacne, right? (Because of course, he just has really bad skin. Yeah, that's it.....)

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Seems to be an absence of Tyson from Hughies camp these days. No matter Hughie learned to fight and think when they trained together and his Ali style works well for his lack of power.

Dont recall sexton in such good shape before and he showed some craft and heart, but hughie was masterful in frustrating him to open him up for right hands. Tyson missed a good show and just as well. At 23 and long and lanky, he's perfectly poised to be his own man. Meanwhile Tyson in exile just like Dempsey, Louis, Ali,and the original Tyson.

Re: [NOW CONTAINS SPOILERS] Anyone giving Sam Sexton a chance against Hughie Fury?

Feel sorry for Sexton. This was his last fight if he lost and to go out like that with a shitty ref stoppage.

He probably wouldn't of went on and won the fight as Fury looked a level above, but I think Sexton would rather of went out on his ass than a poor premature stoppage.

Re: [NOW CONTAINS SPOILERS] Anyone giving Sam Sexton a chance against Hughie Fury?

I don't think that Sexton looked that bad until he got clipped in the 4th round. Fury wasn't that active and Sexton tried to score with some body shots, but he didn't do enough to win any of these rounds. I'd like to see Fury against Dubois or Joyce, but I'm not sure they're ready for him.

I don't think that Sexton looked that bad until he got clipped in the 4th round. Fury wasn't that active and Sexton tried to score with some body shots, but he didn't do enough to win any of these rounds. I'd like to see Fury against Dubois or Joyce, but I'm not sure they're ready for him.

I doubt Joe Joyce will face Hughie Fury after speaking to his manager.

---

Jones revealed he doesn’t believe the winner of Fury-Sexton will fight Joe Joyce.

“I don’t think Hughie will fight Joe. I think Peter has other plans for Hughie. I think they’ve got him something lined up for July provided he comes through the Sam Sexton fight, which he thinks he will and I expect him to, and I think a lot of other people expect him to. I don’t think that fight will happen. “

Exclusive: Sam Jones responds to Sam Sexton calling him a liar and a snake; expects Fury to beat Sexton very comfortably - Boxing News - Ring News24

Feel sorry for Sexton. This was his last fight if he lost and to go out like that with a shitty ref stoppage.

He probably wouldn't of went on and won the fight as Fury looked a level above, but I think Sexton would rather of went out on his ass than a poor premature stoppage.

I'm not sure it was all that bad to be honest, the stoppage.

Both the knockdowns were quite heavy, and solid shots right on the button. While Sexton seemed to be up and recovered from them, he also lookeda bit shell shocked, and had a look of "there's no way i'm getting back into this fight".

There were clear levels between them, there wasn't any point in it continuing. Not sure what Sexton would have gained if he'd lost by a proper count out which may have come up, which could risk health, than the way it ended. He retires either way.