Eubank Jr could replace Groves in World Boxing Super Series final

Bear Hugger

Chris Eubank Jr could replace injured George Groves to face Callum Smith in World Boxing Super Series final.

George Groves could miss out on the World Boxing Super Series final – as Kalle Sauerland confirmed Chris Eubank Jr. is on standby to take his place.

Full article:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxing/6247220/chris-eubank-jr-george-groves-callum-smith-world-boxing-super-series-final/

Re: Eubank Jr could replace Groves in World Boxing Super Series final

Would be a huge shame not to have a Groves - Smith final. I heard Sauerland suggesting that there was no possibility that the first tournaments would overlap with the upcoming second season. So if Groves isn't fit then there's no chance he'll be fighting in the final

I don't see why they just cant wait. If this goes ahead it damages the tournaments reputation as Eubank suffered a loss in the semi-final. Boxing fans don't want to see Eubank compete in the final as he doesn't deserve to be there. He was totally outclassed by Groves and Groves deserves the chance to compete in the final.

I don't like it at all. This shouldn't go like that. It's not just any boxing match, it's the boxing match for the greatest tournament and the title of the supreme champion. Junior has no place there.

Not good at all after all Eubank has been eliminated- If they are going down this route its only fair the 2 losing semi-finalists box off for a place in the final.

Its a real shame i have really enjoyed this series.

Not good at all after all Eubank has been eliminated- If they are going down this route its only fair the 2 losing semi-finalists box off for a place in the final.

Its a real shame i have really enjoyed this series.

Whilst that would be the logical choice, I don't think they could have the fight, then be ready for a June final.

If Groves can't be healthy in a reasonable amount of time, then they should bring in David Benavidez to replace him, not a guy who already lost in the semi-finals.

Benavidez has had almost 3 months rest since his brilliant defeat of Gavril, and he currently has no new bout scheduled. He has the WBC belt, so it's super high profile, and he's American, fer chissakes. Benavidez should have been in the tourney in the first place.

Let Groves heal fully, and then set him up for a huge payday against the winner of Smith vs Benavidez.

--- the tourney wheels are coming of this sham of Schaefer and Sauerland. Let benevidez stay cool in training and fight the winner.

Benavidez surely WILL be fighting the winner, if Groves makes it back.

- But why do you call it a sham? It seems to have been run quite well so far, including surprisingly good judges & refs.

Advertising was a joke in the USA, but other than that, I have zero complaints.

Am I missing something?

--- Yeah, you're missing my cynicism over Sauerland and Schaefer.

The original super six was a bust and the tourney format don't work in this era where top fighters can't afford to fight injured lest they take a financial beating from a loss. The The original had Ward and Dirrell refusing to fight each other after dirrel was KOed by Abraham, Kessler and Taylor dropping out with replacements Greene and Johnson fighting each other, so how super was that?

In tennis you get a bye when that happens and their tourneys are decided in a few days. In team sports an injured player always haves backups and playoffs can be completed in weeks. You can successfully carry out Contender like series using 3-5 rd formats successfully. If SS CAN PULL it off, great, and if not, few care.

There's absolutely zero reason why they can't just wait it out for Groves to be recovered.

Smith can always arrange a stay busy fight in the meantime can't he? :noidea:

As mention, it has thus far been a pretty flawless and excellent tournament, so it would be a real shame for it to all go a bit tits up nearing the very end of the first go.

I don't see why they just cant wait. If this goes ahead it damages the tournaments reputation as Eubank suffered a loss in the semi-final. Boxing fans don't want to see Eubank compete in the final as he doesn't deserve to be there. He was totally outclassed by Groves and Groves deserves the chance to compete in the final.

I would imagine they need to get ths season out of the way before they start the next series.

Groves Vs the winner (Smith/Eubank Jr) PPV on either sky or BT sport would be my guess.

Groves has been posting training videos working on the pads with his trainer. It looks like he could be fit enough to go ahead with the final, if his shoulder holds up.

Have they made any kind of public statement yet?

Hmm, here's hoping Eubank goes and kicks some rocks. I certainly don't think he deserves to be in the final. Hell, i'd prefer Braehmer being the stay busy fight for Smith.

• 2 weeks later...

--- In other news, David Benavidez promoter, Sampson Lewkowicz, http://boxrec.com/media/index.php/Sampson_Lewkowicz, is suing Bob Arum over the "illegal" signing of David, much what happened with Manny and Oscar and arum. Some things never change but the shiny new names...

George Groves will be fit to face Callum Smith in the final of the super-middleweight World Boxing Super Series.

WBSS: George Groves to face Callum Smith in rescheduled World Boxing Super Series final | Boxing News | Sky Sports

Whew .................................

The only bad thing is that now, the next Suoer-Series probably won't start until December, or even later.

I blame it all on Chris Eubank: if he wasn't so damned easy to hit, Groves probably never would have injured his shoulder. ;-)

Edited by Cableaddict

Why do they HAVE to delay the start of the new one until this final has taken place??

I don't understand the significance.

ANyway good news that Groves will be able to take his rightful place in the final.

Why do they HAVE to delay the start of the new one until this final has taken place??

I don't understand the significance.

ANyway good news that Groves will be able to take his rightful place in the final.

I agree - I think they are overplaying the significance of keeping the 'seasons' separate and beginning the next series only after the previous one has finished. For the fans who are closely following the series and overlap won't matter and the fans who are casually tuning into the earlier stages of the next series will probably not notice. If it's clear enough that this is the final of one of the tournaments then I don't see too much of a problem. Rather than overlap between seasons, the main problem with postponements and scheduling delays is the chronological distance between the early rounds and the finals - and I don't think there's much danger in this case either.

I dunno. Overlap doesn't make a lot of sense from a marketing standpoint.

They need to sell advertising time, so wouldn't want to "dilute" any event by having another in the same month.

- and they need to keep casuals interested. Too much of the same thing, and they might not watch both.

Well, we shall see......