Tony Bellew: David Haye will not last eight rounds in our rematch

Bear Hugger

SPOILER***

Tony Bellew says he will stop David Haye inside eight rounds in their rematch and insists his rival "should have stayed clear" of him.

The pair meet at heavyweight in London on 5 May, 14 months after Bellew stopped an injured Haye in round 11.

Bellew, 35, insists he would have beaten Haye even when the Briton dominated the cruiserweight division, holding three world titles in 2008.

"I'll beat David Haye no matter what day of the year it is," he said.

"I'm faster than anyone he's ever faced, I'm someone who can dictate, I'm someone who can make him miss, I'm someone who's got enough pop in his punch to make him think twice about engaging.

Full article:

Tony Bellew: David Haye will not last eight rounds in our rematch - BBC Sport

Edited by LondonRingRules

Re: Tony Bellew: David Haye will not last eight rounds in our rematch

I think Haye is just being humble in the leadup to this fight. For me the reality is Haye was winning the first fight up to the injury and would have taken the fight by a wide margin if it had gone the distance without injury.

If Haye's body holds up he wins.

If he intentionally fakes an injury again (for very obvious reasons! :noidea:), he loses! :whistle:

The defeat seems to have made Haye a lot more focused and driven but it wouldn't surprise me if Bellew wins again. Bellew I think has came across worse in the rematch interviews than Haye and has tried to get under his skin time after time, while Haye has kept his composure, but lets not forget some of the disgusting comments made from Haye in the first fight.

The defeat seems to have made Haye a lot more focused and driven but it wouldn't surprise me if Bellew wins again. Bellew I think has came across worse in the rematch interviews than Haye and has tried to get under his skin time after time, while Haye has kept his composure, but lets not forget some of the disgusting comments made from Haye in the first fight.

For me this is kind of win win. I used to be a big Haye fan but following his step up to heavyweight its just been let down after let down from him. All talk, and excuse after excuse.

If he loses he's done and should just concentrate on promoting.

If he wins, it should be by smashing Bellew away, who then might call it a day and it'll be one less gobshite to hear of.

He did say if he losses that's most likely the end of his boxing career and will focus on his promotions.

There's no other options.

Just driving in to work then and I heard an interview with Haye. He doesn't sound at all confident in his body holding up.

He's saying he's trained hard, he's in good condition, but he doesn't know how he will be when the first bell rings, and he will know in the first 10 seconds if he is "there".

Not sure whether that was a nod to the first fight in that he wasn't feeling it on the night :whistle: rather than the injury, but it sounds like a possible lining up for an excuse to me, should he fail.

Says he will "get the job done some way"....but it really didn't sound convincing tbh.

Agree with lots of what already been said here. I expect a very different Haye this time around. From the very first round you could see that Haye had underestimated Bellew. His game plan seemed to consist in a pretty ponderous jab to the body and then loading up on big shots. When it dawned on him that the fight wasn't going to be as straightforward as he'd anticipated he actually settled into some periods of reasonably sharp boxing, albeit without ever being in full control. That itself was enough to win the rounds then and I see a similar (but better) Haye for the first few rounds this time until he starts to get to Bellew later in the fight. I like both fighters, so I hope they both emerge with credit whichever way it goes - I'm just hoping we get some fun exchanges along the way.

--- I saw Pink shockingly outboxed in the first fight as he reprised a clumsy oaf with scarcely a single round of any professional craft.

Picked Bellew again in my predictor with less confidence because of unknowns Pink is disguising.

O2, eh? Jeez, Louise, go figure who would go to the trouble and expense to witness such a limited mess. Shame Bellew didn't get the Deyonce fight, so I'd guess this is paying him much more.

Matthew Macklin in an interview said to IFL TV that he doesn't even think Haye has done sparring for the fight.

If that's true he's most likely to be the same fighter he was in the first fight.

Good odds out there for Bellew to win again.

--- I saw Pink shockingly outboxed in the first fight as he reprised a clumsy oaf with scarcely a single round of any professional craft.

Picked Bellew again in my predictor with less confidence because of unknowns Pink is disguising.

O2, eh? Jeez, Louise, go figure who would go to the trouble and expense to witness such a limited mess. Shame Bellew didn't get the Deyonce fight, so I'd guess this is paying him much more.

More ridicuous, it's only available on Sky Pay-per-view over in the UK!

Madness. Hope it doesn't get many buys.

I'm predicting Haye to do what he didn't manage last time and stop Bellew, though wouldn't be a shock if he lost again.

Some of his interviews he suggests he didnt take the first one serious and he was never right.....but he also sounds very negative at times as well, with little confidence in his body & condition.

Guess that's what makes it a little interesting. How much does Haye have left in the tank.

He suggests a win would bring back some kind of legacy, but Haye doesn't seem the type to be all that fussed about that anymore. If it gets difficult in there, I wouldn't be surprised if he shrugged and thought to himself "Ahh fuck it, I've made a good living, I don't care what people think of me.....I'll walk away richer than most".

Haye looked too slow to me last time. I hope this time he will be sharper. Because Bellew moves a lot and comes at you all the time, but he also knows how to protect himself. Haye will have to throw his punches carefully. Measure them.

--- Boxrec shows that Haye/Bellew to be the supporting bout to the main Rodriguez/Butler in which Butler scale just under the superbantam weight of 122 to forfeit winning the banty 118 title.

Moreover, he refused to be reweighed, instead entering into unprofessional Orlando Salido dirty tricks territory. This is a case for the BBBC to step up and say not only did you forfeit winning the title you signed for, but also forfeit the banty weight class to fight in the division above. If you fail to make weight in that division, you get booted up to the next. That's what James Toney did, but he did it voluntarily. Didn't know Butler from the newest boy band, but now I know him to be the worst sort of cheat and hell of a lot more dangerous than nanograms of clen.

Haye's punch resistance is gone, it's time to retire for good. It's not as if Bellew is a big puncher and Haye just couldn't handle them.

Poor stoppage in the end from the referee but it looked like it was only going to be a matter of time.

We discussing the card in here yet? Just got in, watching the Butler fight.

I was impressed with Rodriguez. Butler is a very good boxer and has excellent footwork, but Rodriguez won fairly comfortably.

Wasn't sure his move to Joe Gallagher was the best move and still not convinced. Another fighter not making weight, there should be stricter punishment if they don't make weight.