If 15 rounds had been 12

celt1c

Looking at the past, when world championship fights were 15 rounds it struck me that many of boxing history's greatest fights would have different results.

e.g.

Joe Louis v Billy Conn

Rocky Marciano v Jersey joe Walcott 1

Sugar Ray Robinson v Joey Maxim

Jake LaMotta v Laurence Dauthille

Mike Weaver V John Tate

in all of these fights the winner was well behind going into the 13th round but produced the KO.(except Robinson of course)

I'm sure there's many more, what do you think?

Re: If 15 rounds had been 12

--- Agreed, great fight, but clearly though having to work very hard, Sal was doing the bizness. Yeah, one judge had zoomy ahead by a point after 14rds, so no accounting for judging incompetence, but Sal's lead was a guaranteed win save losing by KO. By current scoring rules, with the KD of zoomy in the 7th, that judge would be forced to have Sal ahead, but damn what a finish and what a way to finish your last fight for the ages in such a carefully crafted masterpiece.

Official cards:

One of my more popular articles here:

Memorial Dateline: August 12th, 1982, Salvador Sanchez | Bobby Mac's Straight Shooter

Interesting stuff, thanks.

Worth noting that Nelson was pretty much a novice when they fought, would have loved to see a rematch after he gained more experience. So much with Sanchez that sadly we never got to see.

--- Keep in mind Nelson came up in the traditional African system of wrapped leather strips very much like the original Greeks, basically bareknuckes squared.

The Professor is a misnomer as zoomy won on stamina, chin, and wars of attrition, not sublime boxing skills. I never saw a version who could be the sublime Sanchez who was just as tough, better conditioned, and more importantly, too many skills for Zoomy t handle.

I think that's a bit of a disservice to Nelson. A lot of people thought of him as just a brawler but he showed his intelligence and great ability to adjust in rematches. As much as I love Sanchez, he had a tough time with a couple of challengers, Ford and Cowdell, who really weren't in Nelson's class.

--- I never viewed them as excessively tough challengers, but rather that Sanchez got quite a following, and thus couldn't live up to everyone's competing expectations as to the way he should box. None of the best have been able to do so either because boxing fans are too much naturally disputatious and too often nationalistic or racial in their their favorites that could do no wrong. End of the day, Sanchez was a 23 year old kid who closed out his career with a better record than the media darling Leonard, and more importantly finished his career before Leonard ever won a title. I can cut a 23 year old kid who knocks out HOFers in 4 of his title fights a lot of slack.

I'm not demeaning zoomy who was a game and tough as they come, but really, he was beat from pillar to post in the first Fenech fight and got a DKing arranged draw if we want to talk about injustices in the fight game that his supporters often claim he suffered from. I just viewed his moniker as a bit of a joke, that's all.