Did Golovkin throw the fight?

Cableaddict

Re: Did Golovkin throw the fight?

I don't think so. He's just starting to fade and that he fought a prime Canelo. But come think of it, he can still defeat a top fighter in his prime with that form.

Canelo is definitely in his prime, however not a natural middleweight so he doesn't have the power the knock out a big guy like Golovkin or Chavez Jr. he has the speed and agility but not the power. Golovkin was probably in his prime 2 years ago and would have knocked out Canelo if they'd fought then. GGG seemed quite hesitant to let his punches go when he had Canelo up against the ropes and could have done more damage. Hopefully he'll learn from this and next time will be able to do more damage :)

Canelo is definitely in his prime, however not a natural middleweight so he doesn't have the power the knock out a big guy like Golovkin or Chavez Jr. he has the speed and agility but not the power. Golovkin was probably in his prime 2 years ago and would have knocked out Canelo if they'd fought then. GGG seemed quite hesitant to let his punches go when he had Canelo up against the ropes and could have done more damage. Hopefully he'll learn from this and next time will be able to do more damage :)

Which argues my original point.

Golovkin also, oddly, seemed unwilling to throw many body shots.

Which argues my original point.

Golovkin also, oddly, seemed unwilling to throw many body shots.

If you think money is the key thing here, a draw is illogical as it somewhat negates a possible trilogy (the REAL money spinner). A rematch clause in the contract would have been established, regardless of outcome.

A win for GGG (or Canelo had he won) and immediate rematch (I'd like to see it again, it was an entertaining fight) generates them both the same money as the draw and rematch does.

IF, and granted it is a big if, Canelo won a rematch then the trilogy is on.

The issue being now Golovkin probably wins the rematch handily as he is now seen as the victim of injustice. If Canelo wins, then the trilogy is on and it could be 1-1-1....so a 4th fight needed?

Anyway, it's all becoming muddled. My point is that GGG didn't have to "throw" the fight to make it a money spinner.

--- TWO things:

1. Golovkin started slow because he didn't want to walk into a Canelo shot and he knew Canelo's defense might make him look worse than it did by the end.

2. Once he acclimated to Canelo style, he tried mightily, but those who congenitally dismiss Canelo have always failed to understand he''s a first rate boxing talent and always has been. Seldom do we see the mix in styles he utilized, whereas Golovkin has rightly chosen a one dimensional pressuring style because it works like gangbusters for him.