Amir Khan vs Thomas Hearns - Who takes it?

Re: Amir Khan vs Thomas Hearns - Who takes it?

Hearns was a totally fearless fighter. Kill or be killed. Accomplished boxer, powerful puncher, first 17 by KO (and totally different to his amateur record). The performances against Cuevas, Baez and Leonard considering by todays standards he was winning after 12 rounds against Leonard over the scheduled 15. Then the destruction of Duran at Super Welter, and the blistering attempt to wrestle the 160 title from Hagler and moral revenge over Leonard. Never mind further accomplishments. Khan wouldn't have lasted longer than a round or two if he engaged with Hearns, maybe 3 or 4 if he really did box well on the back foot, engaging minimally and hoping for rare success and sneaking points. But even the best Khan with great handspeed would still have had to open up occasionally and with that defence and chin, he wouldn't have stood a chance. No comparison for me. And it says something that Khan's career is more focussed on money-spinning fantasy fights, media presence, public appearances and charity events (fair enough) than proving something in the ring. There were Brook and Garcia fights mooted for whatever reasons, and it seems Khan knows he mays well get paid handsomely to be knocked out on Mexican holidays in conveniently mismatched catchweight bouts rather than show real hunger and desire to regain past glories.

Hearns, because he had the power. Both have/had weak chins but Hearns is the more likely to win by ko, no doubt. I think Hearns would stop Khan in the 6th round. First three rounds would be close, then Hitman would start to get through.

first i never knew Khan had a prime when was it

I would say probably the couple of years between the Prescott disaster and the Peterson disaster. He beat a shot Barrera, Malignaggi and Judah, but did have the Maidana fight plus Devon Alexander, Andriy Kotelnik...

On the other hand, after he lost to Garcia he had Devon Alexander, Luis Collazo and Chris Algieri, which is impressive for a guy who was getting dropped by Willie Limond at lightweight.

this is a joke fight first i never knew Khan had a prime when was it and second Hearns would just have to touch him and the fight would be over in the first

He had a prime but it was before he turned pro

• 2 months later...

For me there are boxers of two different categories, the only thing they look like is the weak chin. Hearns has been a great champion, defeated Roberto Duran, Wilfred Benitez and other great boxers, has been world champion in five different weight class, a leggend. Khan is a very good boxer but I think that they are in two different categories. In a fantasy match I think Hearns wins by ko in two rounds

• 2 months later...