Is Joshua vs Breazeale card PPV worthy?

WelshDevilRob

Anthony Joshua v Dominic Breazeale

Saturday Night 25 June 2016 from 7pm

£16.95/€21.95

Promoted by Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Boxing at the O2 Arena, London. Anthony Joshua (16-0, 16 Kos) will be defending the IBF World Heavyweight title against the undefeated American Dominic Breazeale (17-0, 15 KOs).

On the undercard is George Groves vs Martin Murray, Chris Eubank Jr vs Tom Doran (British title), John Wayne Hibbert vs Andrea Scarpa, Dillian Whyte vs Fabrice Aurieng.

Also on the card prospects Anthony Ogogo, Khalid Yafai, Ted Cheeseman, Felix Cash and Conor Benn.

13417587_195753707492580_3793492187223461436_n.jpg?oh=d6721dd5b9842000204fa105a7a2d8fd&oe=57CAE911

Do you think this is a PPV card and are you looking forward to it?

Re: Is Joshua vs Breazeale card PPV worthy?

Do you think this is a PPV card and are you looking forward to it?

The short answer is no - but what choice have you got? Unless you wait for my uploads :ranger: or grab a stream.

The main event on its own sells the PPV, and I am looking forward to another AJ victory.

An over-the-hill Murray vs the biggest under achiever in British boxing = crap.

Eubank Jr vastly overmatched again = crap

Ogogo, 2nd fight back after injury, another waste of space = crap

Conor Benn, hyped to fuck = crap

Dillian Whyte should be fighting Del-Boy not this unknown = crap

PS And while we're at it how many fights are Sky Sports gonna actually show? Their last card (SSE Hydro, Burns fight) broadcasted 4/13 fights available on the card. We had to suffer Croch and all the other idiots discussing fuck all while over their shoulder we were missing the Ryder fight and the Scotty Cardle fight! And then the cheeky bastards had the brass neck to put the Joe Ham and the Ogogo fights up on Sky On-Demand, which we also missed live!

--- It's more AJ by himself selling PPV.

Supporting bouts better than most US PPVs. Bottom line is boxing continues to marginalize as it increasingly relies on the newest here today and gone tomorrow fad.

On a side note, UFC up for sale, $4bil+ after launching back when for a few million$. Folks still want to see fights, but sadly boxing currently doesn't deliver anything close most of the time. Josh doing well cleaning out Haymon's stable who couldn't earn peanuts fighting each other.

Surprised at the comments so far. Don't you guys know Joshua is a PPV fighter :whistle: Just ask Eddie Hearn.

We all know this isn't a PPV card and most of Hearn's cards are nowhere near PPV. But as long as we keep buying they wont stop.

Plenty of talent on the show and if PPV is what it takes to pay for these fighters then so be it. For the price of a pizza you get several hours worth of fights. I expect after September when more money becomes available to Hearn that the standard will be even greater and bigger fights will emerge.

Plenty of talent on the show and if PPV is what it takes to pay for these fighters then so be it. For the price of a pizza you get several hours worth of fights. I expect after September when more money becomes available to Hearn that the standard will be even greater and bigger fights will emerge.

What kind of fucking gourmet pizza do you eat for that price, Rob!? :haha:

"Plenty of talent on show" is bollocks. May as well just go down to the boxers gym the way these cards get filled up. Nothing more than crufts where you get to see the "talent" have a bit more than a workout against no hoper.

Still this is what PPV has become and there's no signs it's gonna change anytime soon.

I expect after September when more money becomes available to Hearn that the standard will be even greater and bigger fights will emerge.

As much as I'd like to believe this, and while I think Eddie is actually a boxing man also, but why would anything change if Hearn and Sky get the viewing figures they like?

If this works for Eddie to make a boat load of money, he isn't going to risk having his fighters taking more dangerous fights, Joshua apart maybe! Unfortunately business comes before the sport itself, and Eddie has been going more and more for this Warren-esque bumper PPV show model for a while.

Lets put this into perspective PPV fights should regardless of the outcome at least be seen as 50-50 or at worst 60-40 on paper regardless of the outcome Joshua is not Mike Tyson (who lost to Douglas in a massive upset) and who people fascinated with the aura of the man or of course Ali who transcended the sport....

Joshua goes into Saturday's fight a BEST priced 1/16 on favourite and some bookmakers have him at 1/40 on if people are happy to pay the money to watch great but don't cry about how low the level of PPV could go.

FW had Khan v Salita on PPV which to me was the worst PPV fight I can remember in the UK this isn't much better and for me only Groves v Murray is worth watching.

Echo many of the other thoughts on here. Another unfortunate case of short-sightedness and maximising short-term financial gain against growing the sport for future return. Whatever you think about how 'worthy' a PPV card is, I don't think it's in question that the limits PPV places on exposure for the sport (not to mention the disillusionment casual fans have when they pay for fights that don't live up to expectations - Haye-Harrison, ehem) restrict its health in the long term.

Maybe Hearn and others don't feel like it's their responsibility to sacrifice short-term profits for the sake of the sport or for future speculative greater return that would come with wider exposure. In any case I especially regret using a PPV platform for up and coming fighters like Joshua who have a genuine chance to transcend the sport and elevate it in the public consciousness.

The fact he is now a world champion is probably enough "convincer" for Eddie and the like to warrent PPV. The fact fortunate circumstances, shit organisation rules and a weak as fuck division are all at play has led to this. A still relative novice and prospect being a full blown recognised World Champion!!

It helps that there is a hype train behind Joshua of course. The heavyweights gain the most hype and AJ looks the real deal and the casuals love to see a big guy just blitzing everyone in his way. They are too stupid to understand the wider context, they are happy to be in the venue, or watching the card on PPV with "da ladz" so they can post about it on social media.

As much as I'd like to believe this, and while I think Eddie is actually a boxing man also, but why would anything change if Hearn and Sky get the viewing figures they like?

If this works for Eddie to make a boat load of money, he isn't going to risk having his fighters taking more dangerous fights, Joshua apart maybe! Unfortunately business comes before the sport itself, and Eddie has been going more and more for this Warren-esque bumper PPV show model for a while.

A couple of Hearn and IFLtv interviews have basically had Eddie saying that the new Sky contract kicks in in September and a lot more money is available. Hopefully, there is more money to make fights like Brook vs Vargas and Crolla vs Linares.