Who next for Deontay Wilder?

Re: Who next for Deontay Wilder?

I disagree. Wilder has been in a long camp including being in the UK. Haymon has got a quick date, so that his fighter hasn't completely wasted his time. Why are you criticising Haymon or Wilder - makes no sense to me.

Why? Because there were several much better choices, fighters who were available and would have taken the fight. But of course they would have presented an actual challenge to Wilder. Oh no, can't have that !

Arreola is shot to pieces and a complete waste of time.

Well, it looks confirmed. Wilder vs Arreola at Alabama, on July the 16th. Am i the only one thinking about an upset?. I mean, Arreola can punch hard, and Wilder is not closing his last fights quickly. That´s to me a big risk when you are in front of a power puncher. Molina, Duhaupass and Szpilka weren´t...

Chris Arreola has a soft match for Wilder, there is no compare with Povetkin. The old Arreola has just the puncher chance, I say Wilder by knockout within three rounds

Well, it looks confirmed. Wilder vs Arreola at Alabama, on July the 16th. Am i the only one thinking about an upset?. I mean, Arreola can punch hard, and Wilder is not closing his last fights quickly. That´s to me a big risk when you are in front of a power puncher. Molina, Duhaupass and Szpilka weren´t...

Easy Wilder KO for me. Arreola's on the way down and has never been difficult to hit.

--- I get the feeling that fighting all these creampuffs may well backfire on him soon.

Arreola was whoopin' Stiverne a new one before getting coldcocked. Not sure of Deontay could take a tenth of that damage Arreola doled out. If that happens, he and Haymon will be forever known as the two dolts who backed out of a $20 mil fight with Povetkin because of a few nanograms of something an Atomic microscope could barely see. Worse, if Arreola lifts the title and test positive for marijoochi as he's done twice before, well, it couldn't happen to a pair of more deserving guys.

Wilder a 37:1 favorite over Arreola

Undefeated heavyweight world champion Deontay “The Bronze Bomber” Wilder (36-0, 35 KOs) is a massive early wagering favorite to defeat Chris “The Nightmare” Arreola (36-4-1, 31 KOs) on July 16 in Birmingham, Alabama. 5dimes currently lists Wilder at -3750 to retain his belt. Bettors who peg Arreola for the upset can get +1500. The fight was made official earlier this week.

Source:Fightnews

Has to be worth a deep sea diver just for the sake of it. The famous words we must hear from every fighter and pundit at least once a week.. "This is heavyweight boxing, it only takes one punch" [emoji6]

The only way Wilder can prove himself is a unification bout. After cancellation of Povetkin fight, he is able to make another 3-4 pity defences.

You're right, but who do you suggest he fights?

If Povetkin becomes a non-possibility, then Ortiz is the only serious alternative. The only opponent that can give Wilder true credibility, while the Wlad-Fury circus continues it's world tour. Sadly, we all know Uncel Al won't let that matchup ever happen.

--- Interesting how so many make Ortiz out to be this monster puncher everyone ducks when in fact he generates no gate, no fan interest save the usual suspects.

Not only, but he genuinely took hardcore steroids and has a team dumb enough to fail prefight screening that wrecks the promotion. The only Cuban worth anything is kid bazooka who would have been a star by now but for weak promotions. GB can't do a thing with Ortiz but the kid would've been a p4p star with them.

Has to be worth a deep sea diver just for the sake of it. The famous words we must hear from every fighter and pundit at least once a week.. "This is heavyweight boxing, it only takes one punch" [emoji6]

That's what I thought. Wilder has been stumbled and shaken in the past. If Arreola did pull it off then collect your winnings quickly before he fails a weed test :)

If Povetkin becomes a non-possibility, then Ortiz is the only serious alternative. The only opponent that can give Wilder true credibility, while the Wlad-Fury circus continues it's world tour. Sadly, we all know Uncel Al won't let that matchup ever happen.

You're right that it's hard to make a credible defence for Wilder, but Arreola shouldn't be given any chance after three close fights with weak opponents.

Gerald Washington was supposed to be in line for it - what happened to him?

And how has Ortiz suddenly become credible? The only guy of note on his record is Jennings - everyone else is either way past his prime or a journeyman. Decent enough for a guy workig his way up the ranks, but not enough that he's suddenly the one man who makes a title defence credible.

Gerald Washington was supposed to be in line for it - what happened to him?

And how has Ortiz suddenly become credible? The only guy of note on his record is Jennings - everyone else is either way past his prime or a journeyman. Decent enough for a guy workig his way up the ranks, but not enough that he's suddenly the one man who makes a title defence credible.

On other forums, the general consensus is that Ortiz is currently one of the top 5 HW in the game, and possibly the hardest puncher.

(I tend to agree with the first part, though I think Wilder hits harder.)

- Sometimes it's enough to understand boxing technique and just use your eyes, kind of like how most consider Usyk to be the best CW right now even though he has yet to face a serious opponent. One also has to consider Ortiz' long and prestigious amateur career, (Cuban, no less) much the way folks looked at Lomachenko when he first turned pro.

I don't negate the importantce of a strong resume, in fact it's obviously VERY important, but it's not everything.

Edited by Cableaddict

Sometimes it's enough to understand boxing technique and just use your eyes#

Yes, that would be what led you to believe Joseph Parker was a monster who would shake up the division. It's easy to look good against journeymen - they're usually there to help you do just that.

Yes, that would be what led you to believe Joseph Parker was a monster who would shake up the division. It's easy to look good against journeymen - they're usually there to help you do just that.

Most people still believe this. He didn't look spectacular vs Takam, but Takam is tough, and great fighters do have lukewarm fights from time to time. Heck Ali was KD'd (and actually KO'd, if you want to be honest) by Henry Cooper, fer chissakes.

Of course, then there's Lucien Bute. You think I wouda' learned my lesson by now...... :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Edited by Cableaddict

• 10 months later...