Anthony Joshua Vs Joseph Parker

jamzmaxwell

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Re: Anthony Joshua Vs Joseph Parker

This surfaced on Sky Sports 2 days ago when AJ actually said he "wants to take him on sooner rather than later". Didnt say anything about Parker being his next opponent. AJ's next opponent will be announced by the end of this week though, so seeing as how its Friday tmoz - we aint got long.

Sky Sports Link

Is that correct joshua's next opponent is parker? and how good a fighter he is?

Hard to say because of dismal opposition to date, but Parker appears to be a faster, more aggressive, more accurate, version of Whyte. With better defense. And he goes to the body like a real-world version of Rocky Balboa.

I think he'd leave AJ in a steaming pool of blood & oil.

Don't see Hearn letting this happen at this stage. Heavyweights calling out Joshua see enough vulnerability from his fight with Whyte to know that now would be a good time to fight him but see enough of the devastating attributes (and how quickly he's improved since beginning boxing) to know that even if there's more money in it down the line, he'll just keep getting more dangerous with experience. There's enough hype to mean the money + exposure from facing him now is worth the risk of losing (which is lower than it will be soon, given how he's likely to improve)

But Hearn can see this too and will keep him away from anyone too dangerous

This surfaced on Sky Sports 2 days ago when AJ actually said he "wants to take him on sooner rather than later". Didnt say anything about Parker being his next opponent. AJ's next opponent will be announced by the end of this week though, so seeing as how its Friday tmoz - we aint got long.

Sky Sports Link

Any expectations of AJ's Next competitor?

Hard to say because of dismal opposition to date, but Parker appears to be a faster, more aggressive, more accurate, version of Whyte. With better defense. And he goes to the body like a real-world version of Rocky Balboa.

You're letting your dislike of Joshua cloud your judgement. Parker looks okay but his opposition has been abysmal. Such low quality means one of two things generally. One, the fight slips into bad habits and complacency. Two, his management know something we don't.;-)

I agree that Parker is a better versino of Whyte, with great speed, accuracy and a nice agressive style, but I'm not sure this fight against Aj will be that easy.

Parker looks okay but his opposition has been abysmal.

--- Guy over at boxrec runs his own world ratings service says Parker has consistently beaten better ranked opponents than Joshua.

Doubt at the few 70-100 ranked fighters are that much better than Joshua's few 100-150 level, but that's his research and conclusion. Doubt it's this year when so many opportunities for title fights exist now, but maybe happens when one grabs a title.

--- Guy over at boxrec runs his own world ratings service says Parker has consistently beaten better ranked opponents than Joshua.

Doubt at the few 70-100 ranked fighters are that much better than Joshua's few 100-150 level, but that's his research and conclusion. Doubt it's this year when so many opportunities for title fights exist now, but maybe happens when one grabs a title.

Joseph Parker

1 star fights

Terry Tuteru 20 22 1

Frans Botha 48 9 3

Marcelo Luiz Nascimento 17 5 0

Keith Thompson 7 2 0

2 star fights

Afa Tatupu 9 4 0

Sherman Williams 36 13 2

Jason Pettaway 17 1 0

Yakup Saglam 34 3 0

Bowie Tupou 25 3 0

Daniel Martz 14 2 1

3 star fights

Brian Minto 39 7 0

Irineu Beato Costa Junior 15 1 0

4 star fights

Kali Meehan 42 5 0

5 star fights

Anthony Joshua

1 star fights

Matt Legg 7 2 0

Hector Alfredo Avila 22 15 1

Dorian Darch 7 2 0

Hrvoje Kisicek 5 6 0

Paul Butlin 14 19 0

2 star fights

Raphael Zumbano Love 36 10 1

Konstantin Airich 21 9 2

Matt Skelton 28 8 0

3 star fights

Dillian Whyte 16 0 0

Gary Cornish 21 0 0

Kevin Johnson 29 6 1

Michael Sprott 42 22 0

Denis Bakhtov 38 9 0

4 star fights

Jason Gavern 26 19 4

5 star fights

According to Boxrec Joshua has had more 3 star fights.

Parker's 3 star fights are Brian Minto and Irineu Beato Costa Junior.

Joshua's 3 star fights are Dillian Whyte, Gary Cornish, Kevin Johnson, Michael Sprott and Denis Bakhtov.

Both have one 4 star fight, Parker vs Kali Meehan and Joshua vs Jason Gavern.

Hearn in the press today touting Martin as a likely opponent again

Anthony Joshua vs Charles Martin in play for April 9, says Eddie Hearn - | Boxing News - boxing news, results, rankings, schedules since 1909

Problem with this is that if Joshua and his team don't want to fight Martin at this stage then it leaves them little room for manoeuvre. Either they take the fight or it looks like they're backing off the challenge. Would have made more sense to shield Joshua a bit more by being in a position to blame promotional negotiation if the fight doesn't get made.

--- Any version of Meehan would knock the beleaguered Gavern out fairly easy.

At any rate, the ratings I mentioned are one of boxrec competitors as it were. Lots of different ways to get ratings these days. And nobody is gonna blame Joshua if he wants the Martin fight for his fair share of the cut if it doesn't get made. Landing any Haymon fight is always problematic and the public has come around to realize that.

Edited by LondonRingRules

Between Hughie Fury, Joshua and Parker the division is picking up, Id like to see Joshua get at Tyson Fury, Parker get Wilder then they fight each other in a unification. I know its early in their careers but I think either guy can take out any champion out there today. The skill level with these two is head and shoulders above the rest of the heavyweight crop. Fury and Wilder wont be champions for long.:nono:

I do not think we are that lucky, two great talents, lets hope we see it soon

Joshua does have faults, I would like to see some better footwork and some head movement from him, but I think he fought a good fighter in Dillian Whyte. I don't understand the massive hype around Parker he is 24 years old now and his next opponent is Jason Bergman who has lost 11 fights and been KO'd in 4 of them, Bergman is no where near the quality of Whyte. Parker was also taken the distance by a 42 year old Journeyman Sherman Williams. Parker looks like he has lots of potential but Parker hasn't proved himself until he has beat some decent fighters who are in their prime, not old Journeymen that take him the distance, or 48 year olds like Botha or just plain unknowns,

You're letting your dislike of Joshua cloud your judgement. Parker looks okay but his opposition has been abysmal. Such low quality means one of two things generally. One, the fight slips into bad habits and complacency. Two, his management know something we don't.;-)

It obviously would be the management's fault

Anthony Joshua doesn't want anything to do with Joseph Parker cos he's scared. Joseph Parker has the fastest hands in the heavyweight division, though Anthony Joshua is a good fighter he does not want to fight Parker just because he wants to protect his position in the heavyweight division & Joseph Parker is a huge threat to that

• 4 months later...

Dillian Whyte looked pretty average in his last fight. Sure he KO'd some cabby in 6 rounds, but he looked slow, sloppy, and out of condition.

After his very respectable showing against AJ, we all hoped he'd get his act together & become a serious force in the division. Sadly, it appears that he'll probably be the next Chris Arreola. Not enough discipline, not mentally strong enough. Lots of wasted potential.

I'd LOVE to be proven wrong, but don't bet on it. ;-)

Whyte has a fight coming up on July 30th, against some undefeated British prospect named David Allen. He looks pretty awful:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnmp-pz94YU

So, probably another meaningless scalp for Whyte. Whatever.....

================================================== =

Edited by Cableaddict

I would love to see this fight. I do not think it would take place in New Zealand, however. Joshua is a big draw in London and he is the man right now. But much credit to him if he does.