Two Heavyweight Prospects to fight each other

WelshDevilRob

This is great news. I've been impressed with 'Kaboom' so be interesting to see how he does against the taller Gerald Washington.

http://www.ringnews24.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Oscar-Rivas1-300x200.jpg

http://www.ringnews24.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Gerald-Washington-300x200.jpg

Heavyweight Prospects collide - Gerald Washinton vs Oscar Rivas

Unbeaten brawlers Gerald “El Gallo Negro” Washington (16-0-1, 11 KOs) and Oscar “Kaboom” Rivas (18-0, 13 KOs) will meet in a 10-round showdown of rising heavyweights on Saturday, February 27, in the opening bout of a SHOWTIME CHAMPIONSHIP BOXING® tripleheader from Honda Center in Anaheim, Calif.

Read more:Heavyweight Prospects collide - Gerald Washinton vs Oscar Rivas - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Two Heavyweight Prospects to fight each other

Even more interesting:

Both of these guys are ranked by the IBF, with Washington currently at #30. If either man wins by KO (highly probable) then he would probably enter the IBF's top-20. One more win over a high-level opponent, and he's in the mix for a title. We're talking possibly by the fall, which is about when either Martin or Takam (or possibibly AJ) will need an opponent for a title defense.

Heck, even WITHOUT a second win, the winner of this fight could conceivably get a shot, given the dire state of the HW division. He would still be undefeated, whereas several of the IBF's current top-ten fighters have multiple losses on their records.

This fight has legs.

========================

Edited by Cableaddict

--- El gallo negro not a very fearsome moniker.

Recently Kovalev got in hot water for referring to black Americans as negro, but apparently the heir to the father of the US gets a pass.

Washington going nowhere but both could likely beat Martin sad to say even as I think Martin a genuine good guy in boxing.

• 2 months later...

Eddie Chambers vs. Gerald Washington is set for April 30 at StubHub

A pair of athletic heavyweights are scheduled to clash in an intriguing crossroads bout.

Former title challenger Eddie Chambers announced Wednesday on Twitter he will take on undefeated former football player Gerald Washington on April 30. The fight is slated for the StubHub Center in Carson, California on the undercard of Andre Berto’s rematch with Victor Ortiz on Fox, a source said.

The fight with Washington (16-0-1, 11 knockouts) represents a chance for Chambers (42-4, 23 KOs) to reassert himself on the heavyweight stage in the United States. Chambers, one of the more skilled heavyweights, last fought in September of 2015, stopping Galen Brown in three rounds, his first bout after signing with Al Haymon.

Chambers fought his previous five bouts in the United Kingdom under trainer Peter Fury, winning each one. Chambers, a smallish heavyweight who also fought at cruiserweight, was stopped in the 12th round by Wladimir Klitschko in 2010 for the IBF and WBO heavyweight titles.

Chambers will be facing another mammoth heavyweight in the 6-foot-6, roughly 250-pound Washington, who played football at USC and had tryouts with the Buffalo Bills and Seattle Seahawks. Washington’s lone blemish came in his last fight when he received a split draw against Amir Mansour in October. Washington, 33, was supposed to face Oscar Rivas (18-0, 13 KOs) on Feb. 27 on a Showtime tripleheader, but the fight was scuttled after Rivas failed a pre-fight eye exam.

Source: RingTv

----------------------

Good fight and about time Eddie Chambers was involved in a meaningful Heavyweight bout. Anyone have news on Rivas - will he be back or has he had to retire?

So what happened to the original prospect vs prospect bout then?

Oscar Rivas failed the medical the week of the fight - problems with his eye. Was gutted as he looked abit of a beast. Haven't been able to find out if he'll be back or has had to retire.

• 1 month later...

I do not like Washington, is very slow and too old to be considered a prospect, Oscar Rivas not seen him fight. I will be very attentive to this fight to see it.

Seek his fights out, Javier. It will be worth it, I promise.

Dare I say it, he fights a little bit like prime Mike Tyson, though without those deep dips that Mike used so well. Actually, Rivas fights just like Bogdan Dinu, (from me, that's high praise) and in the same bag as Joseph Parker, but he has better defensive movement than Parker. I REALLY like what I see, so far.

Edited by Cableaddict

Seek his fights out, Javier. It will be worth it, I promise.

Dare I say it, he fights a little bit like prime Mike Tyson, though without those deep dips that Mike used so well. Actually, Rivas fights just like Bogdan Dinu, (from me, that's high praise) and in the same bag as Joseph Parker, but he has better defensive movement than Parker. I REALLY like what I see, so far.

You would really hope he has better defensive movement than Parker lol he really surprised me in his last fight against Takam. I was expecting so much better than that. I heard loads about him and it seemed like he was quite the hype job. Not sure if the step up was bigger than he expected or what.

Going to check out Rivas now based on your recommendation so :smiley-signs101: