Tommy Gilmour fact

The_budweiser

I am in the middle of reading Tommy Gilmour's autobiography.

I found it interesting to read that his boxing side of the family changed their names from Gilmore to Gilmour.

The reason for this was because of Glasgow's Protestants/Catholic rivalry and using the surname Gilmore would of hindered ticket sales.

Has anyone heard this before or have a similar fact?

Re: Tommy Gilmour fact

Ok, so his Catholic original surname was Gilmore? And why is Gilmour better? Because its French? Lol. Or...Anglo-French.

Already said the reason - The reason for this was because of Glasgow's Protestants/Catholic rivalry and using the surname Gilmore would of hindered ticket sales.

Already said the reason - The reason for this was because of Glasgow's Protestants/Catholic rivalry and using the surname Gilmore would of hindered ticket sales.

You know you Scots are crazy. :mlol: On one side you blast the Englishmen and hate them, on other you fight the Irish and "force" them to use English versions of their surnames, lol...really ludicruous.

You know you Scots are crazy. :mlol: On one side you blast the Englishmen and hate them, on other you fight the Irish and "force" them to use English versions of their surnames, lol...really ludicruous.

It's the football rivalry I blame Rangers vs Celtic. You wouldn't have to change your name now but back then they felt as if they had to.

It's the football rivalry I blame Rangers vs Celtic. You wouldn't have to change your name now but back then they felt as if they had to.

That's just crazy...but thats football rivalries for you. ;-) I know when that guy Sean O'Grady came to fight Jim Watt, he posed with Celtic's squad and not with Rangers' one and there was a big uproar against that, many Protestants were pissed. Lol...it then was a satisfaction to them to see O'Grady beaten bloody and stopped late.

That's just crazy...but thats football rivalries for you. ;-) I know when that guy Sean O'Grady came to fight Jim Watt, he posed with Celtic's squad and not with Rangers' one and there was a big uproar against that, many Protestants were pissed. Lol...it then was a satisfaction to them to see O'Grady beaten bloody and stopped late.

If Ricky Burns had his dream fight at Parkhead (Celtic Park) - Rangers boxing fans would go to it. Changed days now, although you do get some idiots still.