Surprise surprise another fighter blames the trainer for losing

The_budweiser

• George Groves split with coach Paddy Fitzpatrick after third world title loss
  • Boxer says Fitzpatrick was unable to run a professional training camp
  • Coach turned up in flip flops and didn't show up to final press conference
  • Fitzpatrick couldn't hold pads after breaking thumb sparring with a child
  • Groves believes he would have beaten Badou Jack with better cornering
  • 27-year-old fights Andrea di Luisa on Saturday as he targets title again

George Groves has lifted the lid on the ‘abysmal’ training regime that he blames for his most recent failure to win a world title.

Groves unsuccessfully challenged champion Badou Jack in Las Vegas last September following back-to-back defeats by Carl Froch and as he prepares to make his return on Saturday, the 27-year-old outlined the lack of confidence he had in trainer Paddy Fitzpatrick.

Fitzpatrick took over from Adam Booth just weeks before Groves came close to causing a seismic shock in his first meeting with Froch in 2013.

The Irishman also oversaw the Wembley rematch in which Groves was knocked out as well as two warm-up bouts for his third title attempt.

But the 27-year-old lost a split-decision to Jack on the undercard of Floyd Mayweather’s farewell procession against Andre Berto and parted ways with Fitzpatrick shortly after.

George Groves criticises former coach for Badou Jack defeat as he looks forward to fresh start under Shane McGuigan  | Daily Mail Online

Re: Surprise surprise another fighter blames the trainer for losing

After the first camp even if it was only a few weeks you would know if he was the trainer for you. So,why start another camp with a trainer he thought was inadequate?

Surely, he did research and asked fighters opinion on Paddy before asking him to be his trainer?

Seems like many fighters they look for someone to blame after losing - Sour Grapes.

Funny how the boxers always says things like, I am in the best shape ever, or we have been trying new things in the gym, and I have never been better......until they lose.

I recall McGuigan telling us how had come over to Vegas early and had been training in a heat tent, to prepare for Cruz, but then went on to blame the heat, and just about everything else, then had a big fall out with Barney Eastwood.

Off topic, but also when he struggled to beat Cabrera, he was in the newspapers the next day, showing us an injury that he claimed was due to thumbing, but it was clearly a cut on the lower eye socket area, in the exact shape of an eye socket, which would happen if a punch landed. A thumb in the eye is devastating pain. A thumb on the bone on the lower part of the eye socket, would be no more painful than a punch.

Edited by chaconfan

--- Groves a million dollar physical talent with 10 cents for brain as Max Baer used to say about himself when joking around.

Maybe make that a nickel for Groves who is 0-3 in title fights with no sign that he can ever change anything around. McG has stated that he was seriously ill in the weeks leading up to the fight with Cruz but was forced into the fight. Knowing what I do about weather conditions in Vegas, they fought under a large tent in dry humidity which would allow superior cooling to withstand the nominal heat. Regardless, he certainly wasn't himself, not even close, and could be he was struggling with weight on top of everything. He wasn't long for the sport after that, so nothing wrong with a short shelf life in boxing given the national hero and spokesman he became with all his brain cells still intact. Too bad no rematch, but such it shall forever be.

He would say he was seriously ill leading up to the fight. That is exactly the point I was making, he clearly said, before the fight, that all his preparations were fantastic, and that everything was going great. I have it on my extensive vhs collection, and like I said, AFTER the loss, it is always the same, boxers come up with excuse after excuse, but it is never their own fault.

I am sure Steve Cruz also had his own problems, one of which surely being that he was a last minute substitute, and another being that he had never fought past 12 rds. Who is to say, he did not have lots of personal problems and injuries aswell? We don't get to hear from them, because winners don't need excuses.

These stories are getting really old. A sportsman blaming his trainer for failing is just totally no no. I mean, seriously? That guy is there to get you up to shape and help you. Blaming him for your failures is just bad.