Anthony Joshua to be offered IBF world title eliminator

Bear Hugger

Anthony Joshua is set to be offered an IBF world title eliminator against Carlos Takam.

The unbeaten 26-year-old has swiftly risen through the heavyweight rankings with 15 straight victories and could soon secure a shot at the IBF belt, which is currently held by Charles Martin.

Erkan Teper is higher in the organisation's standings, but the German has tested positive for a banned substance and the IBF are waiting on a B sample test before sanctioning Joshua-Takam, which would see the winner become mandatory challenger for Martin.

Full article:

Anthony Joshua to be offered IBF world title eliminator | Boxing News | Sky Sports

Re: Anthony Joshua to be offered IBF world title eliminator

Anthony Joshua back on April 9th

Anthony Joshua back on April 9th - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Eddie Hearn recently mentioned 8 possible opponents but as Bear Hugger has posted it looks like Carlos Takam is the opponent. The French/Cameroon fighter fought three times in 2015 - winning all three. He's a tough opponent for anyone and has given Povetkin, Mike Perez and Tony Thompson tough fights.

He'll be a serious threat to Joshua.

Takam's not such a threat. Decent KO percentage against nobodies, and he goes to the body well, but he's not very fleet-of-foot, and at 35 y-o he's probably slowing down even more. His idea of defense is to just absorb punches on his face, but his granite chin gets him through. He likes to just plod forward and swing wildly, which make him tailored-made for AJ.

Takam's best win is arguably against Botha, which is admirable but not a huge deal. Thompson won almost every round against him. Of course, Thompson was always good at making other fighters look bad, but still....

It's still a decent fight, simply because of the dreck AJ has fought previously, (his last fight being the exception) but I'd rather see AJ fight someone like Martin. Someone with both speed and power.

OK, actually I just wanna' see AJ knocked off his pedestal. I admit it. :haha:

=======================================================

Edited by Cableaddict

Good test but a world title eliminator...the IBF really can't help themselves can they

Yes agreed. They seem a terrible organization. The immediate stripping of Fury was scandalous. He was contracted to give a rematch if he won. How does that constitute breaking any rules?

All they had to say was, after that bout, you must defend against our mandatory. Charles Martin has one year before he has to fight his mandatory....Biased much?

Takam's not such a threat. Decent KO percentage against nobodies, and he goes to the body well, but he's not very fleet-of-foot, and at 35 y-o he's probably slowing down even more. His idea of defense is to just absorb punches on his face, but his granite chin gets him through. He likes to just plod forward and swing wildly, which make him tailored-made for AJ.

Takam's best win is arguably against Botha, which is admirable but not a huge deal. Thompson won almost every round against him. Of course, Thompson was always good at making other fighters look bad, but still....

It's still a decent fight, simply because of the dreck AJ has fought previously, (his last fight being the exception) but I'd rather see AJ fight someone like Martin. Someone with both speed and power.

OK, actually I just wanna' see AJ knocked off his pedestal. I admit it. :haha:

=======================================================

Just out of interest, why don't you want AJ to be successful?

Just out of interest, why don't you want AJ to be successful?

Because he doesn't like the undeserved hype and because Joshua's a dirty fighter. Ironically, the first of those reasons doesn't stop him being Wilder's biggest cheerleader.

Because he doesn't like the undeserved hype and because Joshua's a dirty fighter. Ironically, the first of those reasons doesn't stop him being Wilder's biggest cheerleader.

I had no idea AJ was considered a dirty fighter. I have all his fights and don't recall a single instance. What did I miss?

I had no idea AJ was considered a dirty fighter.

Really? It doesn't bother me as much as it does people like Cable, but even I've noticed a few he hits on the break or after the bell, he hits when people are down etc.

It's no great surprise I suppose - he's got no class outside the ring. I like watching him fight though, hope he does well.

Edited by gavpowell

I will look again. Btw, I was not arguing that he was not dirty, I was merely mentioning that I had not noticed. Have to make everything I say, crystal clear on here, as people are always looking to argue with me.

I will look again. Btw, I was not arguing that he was not dirty, I was merely mentioning that I had not noticed. Have to make everything I say, crystal clear on here, as people are always looking to argue with me.

Yep, I understood that, though personally I've no problem with arguments so long as they stay grown-up rather than descending into abuse.

Rabbit punching is another Joshua fault.

For the hitting after the bell, look no further than his last fight, when him and Whyte nearly started a riot between them. When asked about it in the interview, Joshua shrugged and said

"'I don't know who hit who after the bell. That's why the referee's in there to split us up because we would fight for 36 minutes without a break "

What a prat.

Ah well in that case, I will forgive him. The Whyte bout was really personal, and Whyte had threatened to beat him up outside the ring. If you know of any others, please save me the search, as I like to learn, but as I said, I had not noticed, therefore had not been keeping track. I recall remembering all the times Terry Norris hit whilst opponents were down, or after the bell. Two DQ'S against Santana in a row!!!!!!

Ah well in that case, I will forgive him. The Whyte bout was really personal, and Whyte had threatened to beat him up outside the ring. If you know of any others, please save me the search, as I like to learn, but as I said, I had not noticed, therefore had not been keeping track. I recall remembering all the times Terry Norris hit whilst opponents were down, or after the bell. Two DQ'S against Santana in a row!!!!!!

Problem is that wasn't a one off, I've predicted that he will be a DQ'd when he fights outside of the UK, the overseas refs won't let him away with the crap he gets away with here.

I had no idea AJ was considered a dirty fighter. I have all his fights and don't recall a single instance. What did I miss?

He's very fond of hitting his opponent behind the head, when on the canvas, and after the break. Like Wlad, AJ seems to have paid-off refs for every fight.

- And how he's ranked where he's ranked is a mystery for the ages. Wilder at least EARNED his title shot, (just barely) progressing through a couple of legit top-ten opponents.

@Chacon - Joshua, constantly breaks the rules without a warning or the ref blinking an eye. Re-watch his fights/knockdowns and you will see what cable is talking about,

I will do pal. I still really rate him though. I think he has massive power, very good speed, a killer instinct, good movement and the size needed for today's giants. His chin is still not tested at the highest level, but I think he will go all the way.

Wilder at least EARNED his title shot, (just barely) progressing through a couple of legit top-ten opponents.

Who were they again? Malik Scott and Audley Harrison?

I cannot remember the last time a heavyweight fighter earned a world title fight, and can only imagine it was around 1993. Fury just about qualifies by virtue of winning British, Irish, Commonwealth and European titles, but he was hardly blazing a trail through the division's best fighters either.

Edited by gavpowell

I knew that Joshua is going to be a world champ 2 years ago. But this doesn´t mean he is one of the five best heavyweights of the world.

Ironically, to be the 6th better HW of the world let you be the HW champion when you´re going to face Takam and Martin... if the last one is still champ when the fight happens.