Wassup with Thabiso Mchunu?

Cableaddict

I'm a HUGE Mchunu fan. Brilliant skills and ring IQ. His domination of both Eddie Chambers and Duradolo (the same Duradolo that just KO'd Kudyashov) were awe-inspiring. He was evidently also (according to some who actually saw it) dominating Makabu, in a fight that almost no one (including me) has ever seen, before making some mistake in the 11th round and getting KTFO into Tuesday morning.

So where is he? It's been almost 8 months since that fight, and Mchunu doesn't even have a new fight scheduled.

Anyone know what the deal is with this guy?

Edited by Cableaddict

Re: Wassup with Thabiso Mchunu?

Well, he signed with Main Events in 2013, right after the Chambers fight. Since then he only fought twice in 2014 and ONCE in 2015.

One might think he's decided to devote some time to training. - except he's already, as you wrote, "Technically fantastic." (I agree.)

Unless they can find a way to increase his punching power, I don't see much room for improvement. All he can do is get older.

Maybe he was seriously hurt by the Makabu KO?

Maybe Kathy Duva is too busy stopping Sergey from fighting Stevenson, to find Mchunu a good opponent? :laugh:

Wait - Why am I laughing?

-------------------------------------

Makabu hasn't fought much recently either. Or, at all, since May last year...hope its not managerial issues. The guy is dynamite, a true destroyer.

Wow, that's right. - And also with no fight lined up.

- But wasn't he supposed to fight some top guy next? Drozd, or someone at that level?

Edited by Cableaddict

Ah, I found it:

Drozd vs. Makuba Targeted for April 8th in Moscow - Boxing News

I forgot about Drozd injuring his knee. Seems to be a lot of that going around lately.

Lol...a virus, perhaps? :haha: I hope Makabu doesn't become another victim of fallen apart deals and management bs. He's too good for that.

Drozd getting knocked out in Russia and then their disgraced doping committee will claim Makabu cheated.

That Drozd had a strange career...peaked rather young, then suffered an embarrassing loss to Arslan, retired for a while and came back, looking like Schwarzenegger. Kinda suspicious but hey, he's Russian. Lol. They start growing muscles when they start to walk. I'd really like to see him fight Makabu.

That Drozd had a strange career...peaked rather young, then suffered an embarrassing loss to Arslan, retired for a while and came back, looking like Schwarzenegger. Kinda suspicious but hey, he's Russian. Lol. They start growing muscles when they start to walk. I'd really like to see him fight Makabu.

LOL. Very true.

I think he has the same "S&C coach" as Povetkin!

Damn good fighter, regardless.

Edited by Cableaddict

LOL. Very true.

I think he has the same "S&C coach" as Povetkin!

Damn good fighter, regardless.

Yes he is. He just went on my nerves against Wlod, for he coulda finished the guy off after scoring that knockdown. Instead he became too passive and looked like he didn't know what to do.

• 2 weeks later...