Deontay Wilder Opens Up On The State Of The Heavyweight Division

The_budweiser

Sports Emmy® Award-Winning Writer Mark Kriegel meets in New York with undefeated WBC World Champion Deontay Wilder, as the American heavyweight champ looks to continue his path to heavyweight history by putting his imprint on the division one step at a time.

Video: http://www.ringnews24.com/2016/01/07/51010/#.Vo5KCFJyNf0

-----------

Wilder speaks about Fury and Klitschko.

Also mentions he will fight Fury in UK.

Re: Deontay Wilder Opens Up On The State Of The Heavyweight Division

--- 6-7 and fighting for 7yrs and just now taking baby steps in Big Boy training pull ons.

Another TBA in his Haymon arranged queue. Damn cushy job he's got, just phone in the results.

Loved how he had a dig at Fury for knocking him back. Now he wants his titles, it's kool. I will fight Fury in UK. :haha:

When he was walking down the street no one knew who he was then some woman cuddles him saying "I love boxing". Anything to get on camera :mlol:

Someone else you don't like much pal? It was not 7 years before he fought someone decent. He started in almost 2009, and early in 2013 he beat an olympic gold medalist in 1rd. In his next fight he beat an ex world champ, also in 1rd. He has also beat Malik Scott who was unbeaten in 37 fights, Stiverne, who was unbeaten, Molina who was 23-1 and Duhaupas who was 32-1.

I really like him, he is exciting, charismatic, and seems to be a great dad. Peace

Someone else you don't like much pal? It was not 7 years before he fought someone decent. He started in almost 2009, and early in 2013 he beat an olympic gold medalist in 1rd. In his next fight he beat an ex world champ, also in 1rd. He has also beat Malik Scott who was unbeaten in 37 fights, Stiverne, who was unbeaten, Molina who was 23-1 and Duhaupas who was 32-1.

I really like him, he is exciting, charismatic, and seems to be a great dad. Peace

How do you see a potential fight between Fury-Wilder going? and does home or away have an advantage in your eyes?

Loved how he had a dig at Fury for knocking him back. Now he wants his titles, it's kool. I will fight Fury in UK. :haha:

When he was walking down the street no one knew who he was then some woman cuddles him saying "I love boxing". Anything to get on camera :mlol:

I know your not Wilders favourite fan but how do you see a fight vs Fury going home and away?

Someone else you don't like much pal? It was not 7 years before he fought someone decent. He started in almost 2009, and early in 2013 he beat an olympic gold medalist in 1rd.

Audley Harrison was NOT decent - particularly by then! Unproven above British level, past his best and completely chinless.

I can accept Malik Scott as "decent" but no better, while Duahapas achieved even less than Audley, who at least managed to win the European title. There's one good win on Wilder's CV and that's Stiverne, and even then based on wins over Austin and Arreola.

Audley Harrison was NOT decent - particularly by then! Unproven above British level, past his best and completely chinless.

I can accept Malik Scott as "decent" but no better, while Duahapas achieved even less than Audley, who at least managed to win the European title. There's one good win on Wilder's CV and that's Stiverne, and even then based on wins over Austin and Arreola.

Even I can agree with this, though Scott was a very good fighter defensively (he obviously got robbed vs Chisora by that POS ref) yet Wilder just ate him for lunch. - And please no "Scott took a dive" BS. It was the left-hook to the temple that took him out. A perfect equilibrium shot, thrown by a guy with ridiculous power.

Also: Kelvin Price, at the time Wilder fought him, (2012? ) was undefeated and pretty darned good. Wilder took him apart.

One must also point out that Jennings and Fury have both turned down Wilder several times. (Don't even try to pretend otherwise.) The guy can only fight opponents that will get in the ring with him.

================================

One might also remind folks about just how bad most of Wlad's competiton has been. Need I mention Mormek, Pianeta, Leapai, or any of the other stiffs that padded out his record and clinched our brains into a mindless stupor? Should I mention how Wlad had to continuously cheat to beat even these no-hopers? Should I bring up the Povetkin "fight," for which Wlad should have been run out of town on a rail?

Wilder's 33rd opponent was Stiverne. Wlad’s 33rd opponent was some unknown named Paea Wolfgramm. He had basically fought total cans up until that point, with the exception of the unexceptional Axel Shultz.

Wlad even had a KO loss to Ross Purity. Yes, Ross purity, who himself lost to Rahman, Sanders, Donald, Byrd, and Michael Fricking Grant, fer chissakes. - And all of those Purity losses happened BEFORE Purity KO'd Wladddy.

Wlad’s 34th fight was the dismal David Bostiche. Then finally in fight 35, he “stepped up” to Monte Barratt. Wilder’s 33rd fight WOULD have been vs Povetkin, if Sasha had twice asked the WBC for extensions. Wilder's 34th fight may well have been against Wlad, for the HW unification.

^ And all of this is even more telling given the fact that Wlad had an extensive amateur career, while Wilder's was almost non-existant.

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Cable shows us the problem with citing boxing stats out of context.

When Wlad was 22, he was 17-0 pro as the touted gold medalist. Deontae won bronze at 22.

Wlad was poorly managed that year by being bum rushed in his 12th fight in a yrs time when he faced Puritty in a 12 rd title fight.

Sure, Ross lost to all those top heavies, but he also took them the distance and had his moments. Wlad dominated him like never before, so after 9 rds he should have been instructed to ease up. Much like journeyman Mike Weaver did to Tate and Coetzee, Ross sprang out with a vicious combo, basically sucker punches that savvy pros know to look for and avoid. At age 22, Wlad was hardly a savvy pro, but he was infinitely better than dear Deontae and most all heavy champs at 22 and will always be at age 39.

I was puzzled at first, because you quoted Londonringrules, and then said, "even I can agree with this", so I thought you were saying that Wilder had fought no one, and was avoiding any decent match ups. However upon reading your post, it was an excellent case for Wilder. All prospects build interest, confidence, a following, and experience by beating guys thier manager knows they can beat. Did Tyson fight great opponents when he started out? Did anyone?

Loads of stuff

I may come back to some of your other points, but a bit pressed for time, so:

I am under no circumstances defending Wlad's early career - he was fighting utter crap like so many British, European and American fighters do in their formative years. I regularly rail against it and it applies to everyone, though moreso if you're claiming to be a world-level fighter or hold a title. World title belts are not an apprenticeship - if you've got one, you defend it against the contenders, not fight guys from the weight below or past any best they might have had. Wlad beat Povetkin, learn to live with it - Povetkin had no complaints and ironically seems busy dodging Wilder.

If Fury turned Wilder down, I can only imagine it was because he was in line for the Klitschko fight by then and had no intention of putting it at risk. That's understandable, if disappointing.

Yeah, Wlad's had some rotten defences as well, but they've usually been mandatory defences or keep-busy fights. Given he's fought almost everyone in his division who matters, I don't think that's unreasonable - Wilder has been feasting on the likes of Liakohvich. Regardless of whose fault it is, Wilder's record is bloody awful, and if Audley's being brought out for the defence, it's time to give up!

I see Wilder KOing Fury, no matter where they fight. Too fast, too agressive, and if Cunningham can put Fury down, you got to know, Wilder is doing it.

I said the same thing about Klitschko, though it's worth noting Fury got up without incident from most of his career knockdowns, so his chin is probably not too bad, same as Wlad.

Did Tyson fight great opponents when he started out? Did anyone?

Wilder isn't a prospect, he's a world champion, and before that arguably a contender - he's not been a prospect for a long time.

I have no problem with putting novices in with a handful of mediocre to poor opponents to get them used to the professional ring, learn a few tricks etc. But as soon as it's obvious you're too good for that level, you should be moved up steadily, with more challenging opponents.

Yes but the knockdowns he got up from, were not delivered by Wilder. I just watched the video with Mark Kriegel, and cannot see what is not to like about this guy! Thanks for replying

Edited by chaconfan

I know he is no longer a prospect, I was saying that his progress was normal, and his opponents did gradually get better. They obviously don't always improve with every fight, just like Ali's opponents and everyone elses, they go up and down, dependant on things like voluntary defences or promoters offering larger purses.

Also sometimes the manager tries to build up interest by compling a KO streak, so obviously he has to put him in with guys he will be able to knock out. It is good management sense, to get people excited about a guy knocking everybody out. I remember clearly the first time I heard about Tyson and it was exactly that reason why that newspaper wrote an article.

Same thing with Nigel Benn. No one was raving about Micheal Nunn when he started out though.

Shannon Briggs has a very impressive KO record and he still fights much weaker opponents to this day. Did him no harm, he has a masive following, which is ultimately what they are all seeking, the more fans, the bigger the pay day. Peace

Edited by chaconfan
o

I may come back to some of your other points, but a bit pressed for time, so:

I am under no circumstances defending Wlad's early career - he was fighting utter crap like so many British, European and American fighters do in their formative years. I regularly rail against it and it applies to everyone, though moreso if you're claiming to be a world-level fighter or hold a title. World title belts are not an apprenticeship - if you've got one, you defend it against the contenders, not fight guys from the weight below or past any best they might have had. Wlad beat Povetkin, learn to live with it - Povetkin had no complaints and ironically seems busy dodging Wilder.

If Fury turned Wilder down, I can only imagine it was because he was in line for the Klitschko fight by then and had no intention of putting it at risk. That's understandable, if disappointing.

Yeah, Wlad's had some rotten defences as well, but they've usually been mandatory defences or keep-busy fights. Given he's fought almost everyone in his division who matters, I don't think that's unreasonable - Wilder has been feasting on the likes of Liakohvich. Regardless of whose fault it is, Wilder's record is bloody awful, and if Audley's being brought out for the defence, it's time to give up!

Fury first turned Wilder down around 2013, then again in 2014. This was public. Twitter messages, interviews, etc. Anyone can find it. Fury claimed Wilder wasn't good enough to be worth his time. And everyone knows Jennings turned him down.

Dangerous fighters getting ducked is nothing new. Ask Golovkin. I just don't understand why only SOME fighters get blamed for it when it happens to them.

I was puzzled at first, because you quoted Londonringrules, and then said, "even I can agree with this", so I thought you were saying that Wilder had fought no one, and was avoiding any decent match ups. However upon reading your post, it was an excellent case for Wilder. All prospects build interest, confidence, a following, and experience by beating guys thier manager knows they can beat. Did Tyson fight great opponents when he started out? Did anyone?

I WAS saying that Wilder had fought (mostly) no one. Even a die-hard fan can admit that. I was NOT saying that he was avoiding any decent match ups. Big difference. In fact, Wilder has been calling out top guys for years. They just won't fight him.

--- Such goofiness defines TBA Wilder to a tee.

Why should Fury who was making excellent money go down to Mississippi or Alabama for a squat goober payday when he can fight in MSG and Montreal and UK big venues for big money? He was lined up for a 5 million British fight with Mr. Pink that fell through twice that screwed him up bad. No way Wilder pays anywhere near that. What Wilder is saying now, Haymon talking through his dummy Wilder, is hell yeah, for the money Fury brings to the table we'll leave the mudflats of Mississippi and Alabama to fight Fury, a fight Fury no doubt accepts if he gets past the Wlad rematch.

There's a savvy fighter's refusal to accept squat paydays and then there is ducking as when Quinlin or TUE turned down their biggest paydays. Time to study up!

I agree that he has not got a great resume yet, but realistically, who could he have fought on his way up? There weren't that many good opponents that he could have been safely matched up with at that stage of his career, and as I said earlier, He beat an olympic gold medalist in 1rd. In his next fight he beat an ex world champ, also in 1rd. He has also beat Malik Scott who was unbeaten in 37 fights, Stiverne, who was unbeaten, Molina who was 23-1 and Duhaupas who was 32-1.

He still has only one fight that has gone the distance,(and even that was due to a hand that was broken, in fact broken twice now) so he has not gotten much experience. People should give him a break, he isn't openly avoiding anyone, and is so much more exciting than Klitschko, plus is seemingly a very nice guy, and good father .....what more do they want? People hated on Mayweather (including me) for the EXACT opposite. He ducked people, was seemingly a terrible person, terrible role model, was very boring and yet is the richest fighter in history.

He has also beat Malik Scott who was unbeaten in 37 fights, Stiverne, who was unbeaten.....People should give him a break, he isn't openly avoiding anyone, and is so much more exciting than Klitschko, plus is seemingly a very nice guy, and good father .....what more do they want?

--- Here's Wilder's official record showing that Stiverne had a KO loss on his record though he had been on a recent run of nominally good wins over Arreola. Also Stiverne was deliberately dehydrated before entering the ring and had to be hospitalized afterwards. Heavyweights can't get dehydrated in a low paced bout in a climate controlled arena unless it is deliberately planned. See Don King's history with fighters.

http://boxrec.com/boxer/468841

You can also see Scott never beat any prospect or fringe contender, also having been knocked out by Chisora 6 months before this fight. As far as Deontay being a nice guy, generally nice guys don't do stuff like this.

Deontay Wilder arrested on charges of domestic assault by strangulation and released on bond | Daily Mail Online

More Details on Deontay Wilder?s Arrest in Las Vegas - Boxing News

I have no idea what his future brings him, but near everyone knows he took the lowest, easiest path to the WBC title as this one example in boxrec shows: "At 32-0 with 32 knockouts but untested against world class opposition, Deontay Wilder, 29, demonstrated he was the best American to hold a share of the world heavyweight title since Shannon Briggs did it in 2006..." Hopefully he straightens up for the sake of his family as this most heavies have short careers at the top compared to their potential.

Well I did write, "seemingly a nice guy" and not definitely a nice guy. I still say that for someone who has no experience at going the distance, he has done well and not dodged anyone, TO MY KNOWLEDGE, UP TO THIS POINT. I still think he is the most exciting heavyweight champ by far, and if it turns out that he is not such a nice guy.....well it did Tyson no harm.

Peace

--- Here's Wilder's official record showing that Stiverne had a KO loss on his record though he had been on a recent run of nominally good wins over Arreola. Also Stiverne was deliberately dehydrated before entering the ring and had to be hospitalized afterwards. Heavyweights can't get dehydrated in a low paced bout in a climate controlled arena unless it is deliberately planned. See Don King's history with fighters.

/QUOTE]

Stiverne did NOT have Rabdo that night. it was a complete bullshit excuse, and only a naive fool would believe it. Just look at him during the fight. His skin was slick with perspiration. Now look up the symptoms of rabdo. You yourself used the word "dehydrated," as well you should have since that's waht team Stiverne claimed as well: Dehydration due to rabdo, caused by overtraining.

So where'd all that sweat come from?

End of discussion.

(Maybe Stiverne got rabdo from Wilder's continually punching him in the face.)

Feel free to continue with the Wilder hate, though. I know how you enjoy it. :wave:

Edited by Cableaddict

--- Maybe you ain't as familiar with sweat as myself, but I live in central texas where I've seen 120 Fahrenheit both working hard and working out hard the whole of my life.

Sweat is what dehydrates you, so pause for a big DUH!

I'm just stating what the press reported. Dunno about no "rabdo" and could be Stiverne has early onset kidney disease, but any heavy in good health with responsible trainers cannot be dehydrated in such a cushy fight without skulduggery, a tainted Wilder win like many of his others.

TBA chump of the world.