Korobov back next month

BoztheMadman

After taking the whole 2015 off, the former WBO middleweight title challenger Matvey "Matt" Korobov is returning on the 16th next month in Dallas, against yet to be revealed opponent. As we all know, Korobov lost his last fight in December '14 to Andy Lee, who just got relieved of the WBO title in his first defense against Billy Joe Saunders. Wonder wether Saunders will be keen to offer Korobov a chance to recapture the title. Korobov is still a major talent, he just got caught against Lee. Ironically, Korobov who has a rather good chin was stopped by Lee, who almost got stopped last night by Saunders, who was not regarded as an exceptionally hard hitter.

Re: Korobov back next month

Korobov just doesn't do it for me. He seems to me the typical European fighter...the old stereotype that has mostly been grown out of...mechanical, repetitive, one-dimensional. He can crack the top ten and beat some decent fighters with what he has but isn't going to get much better, and I don't think he'll respond well when met with a truly world class boxer.

I would bank on Arif Magomedov much sooner if you want a breakthrough Russian middleweight.

Re: Korobov back next month

--- Korobov is exceedingly talented, but appears to have motivation and training issues, meaning he's not really liking pro boxing and probably not making enough money to like it. It's much dirtier than the amas.

Yes, it might be...something must be the reason, because he IS very talented. I haven't yet seen that Magomedov bloke Q talks about, but I doubt he's any better than Matt. Matt is the first man to ko Ossie Duran, the teak-tough Ghanaian warrior and in only 3 rounds. He seemingly has it all, when it comes to tools.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...