Is Liam Smith ready for Cotto?

The_budweiser

http://boxrec.com/boxer/466535 - Liam Smith 21-0-1

Liam Smith wants Miguel Cotto showdown after Jimmy Kelly

Liam Smith has called out Puerto Rican legend Miguel Cotto ahead of the first defence of his WBO light-middleweight title against Jimmy Kelly on Saturday.

Liam became the first of Liverpool's four fighting Smith brothers to win a world title when he stopped American John Thompson in October.

Kelly will be taking part in only his 17th pro fight at the Manchester Arena but will have home advantage.

"Miguel Cotto is up there as one of the names I want to face," said Smith, 27.

"Cotto's been a great champion and to beat him will take me to that next level. I definitely believe I have what it takes to overcome him because my style would cause him some big problems.

"I know Kelly is going to go into the ring thinking this is his big chance but I'm not going to give him an inch.

Liam Smith wants Miguel Cotto showdown after Jimmy Kelly - BBC Sport

Is Liam Smith ready for Cotto?

Re: Is Liam Smith ready for Cotto?

I am not sure if Liam Smith is ready for the likes of Miguel Cotto but it comes a time when fighters have to stop padding up their records with no-body's and test them self at the top level.

Liam Smith is 27-years-old, he has to test him self now while hes still in his prime, rather than leaving it to late.

Even with a loss he can learn and comeback stronger, he is still young enough.

I hope he isn't just linking his name against big names like when Hearn said AJ vs Haye/Fury would of happened already.

I hope he is serious and really wants these fights; good luck to him if he is genuine.

Re: Is Liam Smith ready for Cotto?

He's green, but he clearly has skills. I was very impressed with him this past weekend vs Kelly. Kelly may not be a huge name, but he definitely came to fight, and Smith had to work for his supper.

Fighters need to stop worrying about getting 1 or 2 losses on their record. That kind of thing ruins the sport. Same goes for Saunders.

Losing to an elite fighter probably teaches you more than beating a dozen journeymen.

• Like 1