This Sat: Gonzalez vs Shabransky !

Cableaddict

Man, what a fight this is ! DO NOT MISS IT.

Feeling a little underwhelmed by the looming Kovalev-Pascal rematch?

This Sat, the guy who CLEARLY beat Pascal last July, despite getting the worst robbery-loss of the year, faces the destructive nightmare that is Vyacheslav Shabransky.

What a matchup! This fight makes me crazy because I'm a fan of both guys, and hate to see either lose. Gonzalez should be fighting Kovalev next. Either fight is a huge danger, but at least losing to Kovalev could bring him positive recognition. Shabransky is not that well known yet in the West.

Well, I predict Shabransky by mid-round KO, but this is really gonna' suck. I have a big soft-spot for good fighters that get robbed, especially when they are top-level like Gonzalez. Of course, Parker recently proved that Shabransky is mortal, putting him on the canvas twice, and Gonzalez can bang pretty hard himself, so my prediction is more like throwing darts.....

If Shabransky does manage to take out Gonzalez, then he would possibly (likely) get a shot at Sergey next year, so I guess that's quite a silver lining. If he does take out Gonzalez, then I'd give him a very good chance of beating Sergey as well. It would easily (IMO) be Sergey's toughest challenge to date.

What say you?

Edited by Cableaddict

Re: This Sat: Gonzalez vs Shabransky !

Slav looked like shit his last time out, getting knocked down twice. I'm rooting for Gonzalez. He should've gotten the nod against Pascal.

Yes, he looked pretty sloppy against Parker, but he survived & got the job done, which tells us a lot about both his chin & his heart. Shabransky is one DANGEROUS opponent.

I'm really conflicted on this one. I'd like Gonzalez to win because, first he's the better boxer and I respect skills, and second he got screwed blued & fukyoo'd against Pascal, so he's due some respect .

However, Shabransky is a fan-friendly wrecking machine, with an undefeated record. If he takes Gonzalez out, it will actually be better for the sport as a whole since this will really wow the casuals. (Sad, but true.) Also, IMO Shabransky, for all of his faults, has a better chance against Kovalev than Gonzalez, and a win tomorrow puts him right inline for next year.

Damn, I HATE this fight ! :laugh:

Edited by Cableaddict

Yes, he looked pretty sloppy against Parker, but he survived & got the job done, which tells us a lot about both his chin & his heart. Shabransky is one DANGEROUS opponent.

I'm really conflicted on this one. I'd like Gonzalez to win because, first he's the better boxer and I respect skills, and second he got screwed blued & fukyoo'd against Pascal, so he's due some respect .

However, Shabransky is a fan-friendly wrecking machine, with an undefeated record. If he takes Gonzalez out, it will actually be better for the sport as a whole since this will really wow the casuals. (Sad, but true.) Also, IMO Shabransky, for all of his faults, has a better chance against Kovalev than Gonzalez, and a win tomorrow puts him right inline for next year.

Damn, I HATE this fight ! :laugh:

OMG i love this quote "he got screwed blued & fukyoo'd"

Hahahahahahaha

Well, that fight is in the books! A pretty entertaining one at that, and a very important one for the LHW division.

Sad to see Gonzalez lose. It was a really close fight though I can't complain about the result. Surprisingly, Shabransky actually had the better defense. Both guys got tagged waaaay too much, but then again both guys threw a ton of leather.

Anyway, while I feel REALLY bad for Gonzalez, it's also pretty exciting to see Shabransky take this, and actually box in the process. He's always been a very dangerous, aggressive puncher, but kinda' sloppy. Now he seems to be improving his fundamentals with every fight. I love how at the very end of the fight, he tagged Gonzalez several times while moving backwards.

So... can Slava hang with the big boys? He has a very fan-friendly style, and an undefeated record, so he's a promoter's dream opponent.

Politically-speaking, what are his chances of getting a fight with Kovalev in 2016?

Edited by Cableaddict

Need to catch-up on this fight. Quality match-up.

Same here, Rob. I like Shabranskyy but haven't seen too much of him. I know Gonzalez is a serious fighter based on his performance against Pascal, and that is still intact based on what I've heard about his performance against Shabranskyy.

Keep both far from Kovalev, of course. Shabranskyy needs a fighter like Isaac Chilemba soon...that kid will itch you like a rash but probably won't be awarded the decision. Nadjib Mouhammedi is possible as well but an entirely different style from Chilemba. I sidestep a very obvious, enticing Shabranskyy-Beterbiev bout due to promotional/managerial (whatever Haymon is) conflicts.

If Golden Boy isn't quite confident enough to put him in the limelight (headlining or co-featuring in regular HBO), a free-agent of sorts in Tommy Karpency could make for a decent opponent and acid test for Vyacheslav...