Is Chris Eubank Jr world class?

The_budweiser

“Eubank Jr does not belong at world level” – Billy Joe Saunders

World title challenger Billy Joe Saunders has blasted arch nemesis Chris Eubank Jr saying he is a “phony” who is not at world level.

The 26-year-old from Hatfield, who takes on WBO champion Andy Lee this Saturday night, exclusively live on BoxNation from the Manchester Arena, has said he was left unimpressed with

Eubank Jr’s win and that he will fall short if he takes on the best around.

The middleweight rivals have previously locked horns with Saunders coming out on top winning a split points decision late last year and he is adamant that the Brighton boxer will flop once again if he shares the ring with another top 160-pounder.

Page not found - - Boxing News - Ring News24

Do you agree with Billy Joe Saunders?

Re: Is Chris Eubank Jr world class?

World-class fighters would roll over Saunders, not struggle with him and certainly not lose to him. Eubank displayed almost zero skill in their fight and was relying on aggression and the idea that he was a puncher, which was completely unproven. I think it's disgraceful he's been allowed to get to faux-world-level without ever proving himself at British, Commonwealth or European level. He's a nobody and will be beaten by the first decent challenger he faces.

He's a nobody and will be beaten by the first decent challenger he faces.

You may be right Gav if he faces Daniel Jacobs after being made mandatory.

I was amused when Eubank said he is a year away from fighting GGG. Like you said he struggled against Saunders, yet, he thinks hes ready for GGG soon - that's just deluded.

I think he has a lot of potential but far from being a world class fighter at this moment in time.

I think he could be but isn't yet. Against Saunders he waited too long to start the offensive and paid for it. I believe had he started it earlier, he would have won no doubt. But he looked totally lost in the first four rounds, if my memory serves me correctly, it wasn't before the fifth that he really started throwing and landing. I think he was brought up too quickly, from wasting total bums to fighting a game guy like Saunders, with good fundamentals and a sound chin. That just had to happen. Plus his daddy didn't help matters either, lol.

Edited by BoztheMadman

You may be right Gav if he faces Daniel Jacobs after being made mandatory.

I was amused when Eubank said he is a year away from fighting GGG. Like you said he struggled against Saunders, yet, he thinks hes ready for GGG soon - that's just deluded.

I think he has a lot of potential but far from being a world class fighter at this moment in time.

I agree with all points.

At the same time, Eubank has clearly gotten significantly better in his last 2-3 fights, which says something about his attitude & commitment to training. I used to think he was a complete joke, but the guy is definitely growing on me. He seems to have good speed / athleticism, and now-reasonable defense. He's not ready for a 2016 bout with Jacobs, though.

I haven't really analyzed him in any serious way, but I think probably he mostly needs to lear how to sit on his punches better. Maybe also how to get in & out faster: He shouldn't have stayed in the pocket so much against Sullivan, that was nuts. A good learning experience, but nuts.

Who's training him these days? They added someone new, recently, no? (Someone well known?)

Edited by Cableaddict

That's right, thanks!

What do we know of Booth, other than David Haye? (I'm too busy to Google him right now.)

George Groves off the top of my head, not sure who else...

Haye never went back with Booth, I wonder why? Haye choose to go with Frampton's trainer (Shane McGuigan) who hasn't been a trainer for long - and also Grove Groves has just teamed up with Shane.

Eubank jr. did look very impressive on Saturday! Very quick and lots of flurry's maybe too many at times, but I think that was just because he knew he had the fight in the bag. Eubank did take some solid punches, so he does have a somewhat decent chin, but the biggest problem I can see for him going forwards and especially if we are talking about stepping up to world class in the future is the lack of power he has! Fighters like GGG are not going to give you the kind of time that Spike did and I doubt Eubank will have the class to avoid the punch that Mayweather had so I think at world level he would get caught out quite quickly at least at the moment anyway.

So Eubank walks away from Eddie Hearn's 3 fight deal after he failed to win purse bids vs Blackwell for the BBBofC. Guess he want's to skip the British boxing scene and jump straight to a world title fight.

Blackwell's promoter Mick Hennessy won the bid having been up against Hearn, who bid £120,000, and Frank Warren.

Eubank Jr. needs to be more disciplined he throws uppercuts from all over the place and he is going to get caught

Good point. However, he is obviously improving, and now has a great team behind him, so I think we may see big things from him as time goes on.

It's weird, I've really totally changed how I feel about the kid. ;-)

Good point. However, he is obviously improving, and now has a great team behind him, so I think we may see big things from him as time goes on.

me too! at least his fights are always exciting - he also seems far less of a muppet than his dad

Cable, I need your nominations here please, mate. I did send a PM.

http://www.koboxingforum.com/showthread.php?t=106826&goto=newpost

I couldn't access your link, Rob. (PM sent.)

But regardless of the question, my vote is for Chocolatito. :haha: - He just plain wins every category this year !

(Except robbery of the year, which probably goes to Pascal - Gonzalez, although there is some stiff competition.)

I think he could be but isn't yet. Against Saunders he waited too long to start the offensive and paid for it. I believe had he started it earlier, he would have won no doubt. But he looked totally lost in the first four rounds, if my memory serves me correctly, it wasn't before the fifth that he really started throwing and landing. I think he was brought up too quickly, from wasting total bums to fighting a game guy like Saunders, with good fundamentals and a sound chin. That just had to happen. Plus his daddy didn't help matters either, lol.

Good post Boz!!

His name has both helped and hindered him! It helps for promotion, he was never going to be a struggling boxer not able to get fights. But also along with that hype comes expectation! He had a wobble vs BJS, and I guess his name alone means his stock didn't fall too much following that loss.

Good post Boz!!

His name has both helped and hindered him! It helps for promotion, he was never going to be a struggling boxer not able to get fights. But also along with that hype comes expectation! He had a wobble vs BJS, and I guess his name alone means his stock didn't fall too much following that loss.

Merci beaucoup Ton. ;-)

That's right, thanks!

What do we know of Booth, other than David Haye? (I'm too busy to Google him right now.)

Surely, by the time you typed that question then waited for your reply, you could have googled him! Lol just messing.....but you could have