Ike Williams: Without the Mob, he could have been Greater

WelshDevilRob

Back in 1988, a video collection under the title of “Mike Tyson Presents..” was released. I purchased the one titled “Boxing’s greatest knockouts”. Divided in to sections, the one that caught my attention was “Brutal knockouts”. It was here that I discovered one of boxing’s hardest punchers and one of the lightweight’s greatest ever champions, Isiah “Ike” Williams.

by Dean Berks

It was 12th July 1948 and Williams was defending his title against Philadelphia’s Beau Jack. This was the first of four meetings between the men. Jack, in his high pressure style, had let it all go in the first three rounds, as he had struggled with weight beforehand. But his aggression had played in to the heavy hands of the champion. Williams had the classic boxer’s physique: slender legs and torso with powerfully built arms and shoulders. And he carried knockout power in both hands, particularly his right. It was that shot that was the undoing of Jack. Stunned early in the sixth, he was knocked back to the ropes as Williams unleashed a truly vicious barrage of punches. As punch after punch thudded in to the unprotected jaw of Jack, driving him in to a corner, Williams turned to the referee, looking for the third man to stop what had become a one sided beating. The referee did indeed intervene, even though the hard as nails Jack would have continued. But this mixture of ferocity and compassion had me hooked on Williams. And his story was certainly that of a man who vehemently followed his own beliefs.

Read more: Ike Williams: Without The Mob, He Could Have Been Greater - Boxing News - Ring News24

Re: Ike Williams: Without the Mob, he could have been Greater

Back in 1988, a video collection under the title of “Mike Tyson Presents..” was released. I purchased the one titled “Boxing’s greatest knockouts”. Divided in to sections, the one that caught my attention was “Brutal knockouts”. It was here that I discovered one of boxing’s hardest punchers and one of the lightweight’s greatest ever champions, Isiah “Ike” Williams.

by Dean Berks

url]

--- Ike plenty great in Valhalla where he resides.

Thanks for a beautiful reminder of one of boxing's true greats who battled dangerous adversity unimagined by modern fans.