SPOILERS Perez vs Darchinyan

Joe Ko

Shaw: Darchinyan Will Have His

Choice of Opponents

After witnessing Vic "Raging Bull" Darchinyan's dominant performance against former champion Yonnhy Perez tonight at the Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles, promoter Gary Shaw says the two-time world champion will have several options.

"Vic was sensational tonight," said Shaw. "He's always magnificent when he's coming off a loss. He comes back better and that's what happened again tonight. I respect Yonnhy Perez very much for taking all of Vic's punches, because Vic maintained he was stronger than ever and he was right. He was an animal tonight."

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/blog/35-demo-content/19214-shaw-darchinyan-will-have-his-choice-of-opponents-.html#ixzz1KR2qnXpJ

Armenians Provide Thrills on

Darchinyan Undercard

In front of a huge group of their compatriots, an Armenian contingent brought the pain and provided much of the excitement tonight on the undercard of Vic Darchinyan's sensational TD5 over Yonnhy Perez at the Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE in Los Angeles.

Among them, junior welterweight Art Hovhanessyan (13-0-1, 7 KO's) stopped a game Jose Alfredo Lugo in the fifth of a scheduled six-round bout and in the undercard fight of the night, junior lightweight Azat Hovhanessyan (no relation) lost his pro debut by unanimous decision, but gained a standing ovation from the large crowd in attendance, as he went to war with California's Juan Reyes over four scintillating rounds.

Undefeated junior welterweight Art was dominant in his dismantling of Lugo. "I felt great in there," he said post-fight. "I was coming back from 10 months off, but I had no problems picking up where I left off.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/blog/35-demo-content/19213-armenians-provide-thrills-on-darchinyan-undercard.html#ixzz1KR2vXk21

Saturday, April 23 2011, Live on Showtime

Nokia Theatre, L.A. LIVE, Los Angeles, California;

Replay Is Tuesday, April 26, At 10:30 p.m. ET/PT on SHO EXTREME

LOS ANGELES (April 23, 2011) – In one of the most powerful performances of his career, two-division world champion Vic “Raging Bull” Darchinyan dominated former International Boxing Federation (IBF) bantamweight titlist Yonnhy “El Colombiano” Perez en route to winning a fifth-round technical decision and the vacant International Boxing Organization (IBO) 118-pound title Saturday on SHOWTIME® .

The diminutive Darchinyan was in total command from the outset of a scheduled 12-round bout at Nokia Theatre L.A. LIVE, scored a knockdown in the second and was ahead 50-44 on the three scorecards when the one-sided slugfest was halted due to an accidental headbutt at 1:44 of the round.

Southpaw Darchinyan, of Sydney, Australia, by way of Armenia, improved to 36-3-1 with 27 knockouts while Colombia’s Perez, of Santa Fe Springs, Calif., fell to 20-2-1 with 14 KOs after losing his second consecutive start.

By winning a fight elevated to main event status after a bout between IBF champion Joseph Agbeko and undefeated Abner Mares was postponed after Agbeko withdrew after suffering what doctors diagnosed as likely the sudden onset of sciatica earlier in the week, Darchyinan sets himself up for possible rematches with both Agbeko and Mares, both of whom he lost decisions to.

Read More: http://ringnews24.com//index.php/blog/35-demo-content/19212-thirty-five-year-old-vic-darchinyan-outpunched-outworked-and-outfought-a-younger-yonnhy-perez.html#ixzz1KR2yeMYk

i was a bit surprised. darchinyan finally showed power at this weight. however, i think some of it may be perez whos been in about 4 very tough back to back fights, perhaps he needed a rest first. but congrats to vic

and ill give a rare compliment to jim grey who i thought did a fine job post-fight

The right man won based on how the fight was being contested. It would have been nice to see the corner man get a chance to work on that cut. Probably wouldnt have mattered though considering how Vic was getting close and landing on Perez. I was wondering, was that fight result as much about Vic finding himself as it was about Perez looking just flat out worn out?

The right man won based on how the fight was being contested. It would have been nice to see the corner man get a chance to work on that cut. Probably wouldnt have mattered though considering how Vic was getting close and landing on Perez. I was wondering, was that fight result as much about Vic finding himself as it was about Perez looking just flat out worn out?

to my eyes it was perez getting old/looking flat. he showed NOTHING to me that suggested he had any shot at coming back to win. darch looked like his usual self, but bantie style- lots of hard punches landing well, but not much power since for some reason six-pounds sapped his power (never understood how power is lost over so few pounds, but i've never fought)

Tim-

I didn't like the way Perez reacted the first time he got hit, he seemed like a shot fighter. Sure, there's a CHANCE that the fight could've turned around, Perez was doing a little bit better in the 4th round and Darchinyan might have faded as it wore on, but I don't think the chances were very good. Vic looked sharp and I think it's more likely he'd have finished Perez off had it continued.

Tim-

I didn't like the way Perez reacted the first time he got hit, he seemed like a shot fighter. Sure, there's a CHANCE that the fight could've turned around, Perez was doing a little bit better in the 4th round and Darchinyan might have faded as it wore on, but I don't think the chances were very good. Vic looked sharp and I think it's more likely he'd have finished Perez off had it continued.

I agree. There was no real suggestion from Perez that he was about to turn the tide on the fight and up until the fight was called off it was all Vic's fight.