Can Carl Froch beat Andre Ward?

WelshDevilRob

Froch would be the under-dog, Ward will beat Abraham however he wants, Froch v Johnson is a cracking fight.

Do you rate Ward highly, mate?

I don't though I haven't seen his last fight. (Due to internet speed)

I think he's a talented fighter but likes to drag himself into a tough fight but lacks the power. He's pretty dirty aswell.

He kind of reminds me of Cleverly in that he has the tools to box but wants to get a Ko despite lacking the power.

Froch would be the under-dog, Ward will beat Abraham however he wants, Froch v Johnson is a cracking fight.

I think he's a talented fighter but likes to drag himself into a tough fight but lacks the power. He's pretty dirty aswell.

He kind of reminds me of Cleverly in that he has the tools to box but wants to get a Ko despite lacking the power.

I rate Bute higher but I know you're views there ;-)

I think Ward knows he's as good as he is and is incredibly confident, he seems like he can do it all and reminds me more of a faster more gifted Hopkins than Cleverly. I have a feeling out Bika-ing Bika as he did last time (some seemed to score that to Bika, though I felt it was closer than the cards, Ward won) was to prove a point and he'll just turn the Abraham fight into what ever he wants.

Cleverly to me is a bit too macho for his own good and it could cost him against Breahmer...though I seem to be in the minority there.

I think Ward knows he's as good as he is and is incredibly confident, he seems like he can do it all and reminds me more of a faster more gifted Hopkins than Cleverly. I have a feeling out Bika-ing Bika as he did last time (some seemed to score that to Bika, though I felt it was closer than the cards, Ward won) was to prove a point and he'll just turn the Abraham fight into what ever he wants.

Cleverly to me is a bit too macho for his own good and it could cost him against Breahmer...though I seem to be in the minority there.

Agree regarding Clevely - he has the physical size to make things easier for himself rather than try for a KO.

Ward is very good but I'm missing something when I see him fight. I do think Bute is the most talented but need to see him tested more.

Bika has been round the block and Calzaghe beat him quite comfortably apart from the butts and lowblows.

I think if Ward brawls with Froch then he could well come unstuck. As Froch is aa level above the likes of Bika and a shot Miranda.

Agree regarding Clevely - he has the physical size to make things easier for himself rather than try for a KO.

Ward is very good but I'm missing something when I see him fight. I do think Bute is the most talented but need to see him tested more.

Bika has been round the block and Calzaghe beat him quite comfortably apart from the butts and lowblows.

I think if Ward brawls with Froch then he could well come unstuck. As Froch is aa level above the likes of Bika and a shot Miranda.

Bika can be out boxed, he's never been out fouled, out butted and out rough housed before. It was a messy fight but Ward just seemed to be "the bika" of the bout. Don't think you're missing too much RE Ward though, he seems to fight down to his opponents level, something I often said about Froch, when Froch actually boxes he's wonderful to watch, when he brawls he's sloppy.

Cleverly frustratingly has ALL the tools to be a star on his talent, but wants to force himself to be a star by fighting the way he does. Yes it's exciting but he'll come unstuck. Actually come to think of it he's kind of fallen into the Froch mold I guess, of "I want to put a show on and will fight sloppy to do so"

I think Froch can only win by knockout, imo Ward is extremly good bit like Bradley, not powerful but strong and solid all round, I do think Wards chin is a big weakness.

Froch could box but just dont think he will win the early rounds which would be key.

I remember before this tournament kicked off and I used to post on the BBC 606 boards and made an article about how the 2 young americans in Ward and Dirrell were totally being written off. It was all about the monster Abraham and Kessler as the favourites, no one ever gave Ward a chance. I aint saying I knew something back then, but I just posed the question has anyone thought that one of those two were potential world beaters and were just being written off.

I've heard people since it started say that it's been geared towards Ward, favouring him in home bouts and such which is a bit of a nonsense.

Anyway, regarding the original topic, Froch has shown he can box when he wants to, but can he outfox the fox that is Ward? Tough ask, but he has overcome popular opinion before as with the Abraham fight.

I backed Kessler and Abraham with the specific caveat that I didn't know much about Ward's pro career and had never heard of Dirrell, and I think if Kessler weren't injured I'd still be backing him to be honest. I'd love to see Froch win it but he looked like an idiot against Dirrell's speed and slickness, and Ward's not exactly slow either.

I don't rate Ward at all.

I think he is incredibly fortunate to be in the position he's in, off the back of a single win vs a sub-par Mikkel Kessler who was fouled out of a real fight, but a hometown ref saw otherwise.

He's the only fighter in the tournament who has yet to leave his own STATE, let alone country....and he simply doesn't have the talent to justify the position he's in right now.

Of course Carl Froch can beat him, he's done little of not imo, and is being over-hyped into oblivion.

Give it a few months and Abraham may even defeat him.

yeah at this point im definitely picking ward to win it all. the only question i still have about him is his chin and nobody in the tournament seems to have the ability to take advantage of that. however i dont rate ward in the P4P sense yet.

its too bad ward is boring to watch, fights dirty, has no power, and is a religious zealot.

I think Froch has quite good chances to beat ward if he makes it to the finals. his extreme endurance, his long range, and his tough chin clear play for him. plus hes got very good punching power, for me he is the hardest puncher in the 168lb division, im not speaking of the typical one punch power... what i mean is that almost every punch he throws is equipped with solid power behind.. even his jabs look powerful.

ward on the other hand is pretty unimposing and unspectacular in his style, but the thing that ive noticed watching his last fights is that he has no real ability that stands out... he is more the type of an allround style fighter, average power,good speed,good movement and ring generalship and a strong defense.. he also knows the dirty tactics. what ive also noticed and what i think his REAL strenght is, is his ability to make him hard to fight,hard to hit,hard to trap or to corner.. hes got some awkWARDness (lol) in his style that makes him very uncomfortable to fight,for his opponents. he also adapts pretty well to situtaions and the style of his opponents to impose his own will and his own style on them before he is finally overcoming his opponents.

if froch uses his reach and his speed and dont let ward come too close, he has pretty good chances of frustrating ward early,and then landing the power punches. if froch faces ward in the finals i do favour froch and i think he could beat him even by tko/ko...

germany//

• 2 weeks later...
If the previous fights in the super six have indicated, it would be foolish to bet against Carl Froch. I believe the man is on a mission. Ward might have the better boxing skills, this one might come down to who wants it the most. Carl Froch is a hard man. I'm not convinced Andre Ward is.

I picked Froch to win from the start and people thought he had no chance (people i spoke to anyway). Now he's just one fight from the final. I'm sticking with Froch to win. It could be argued that using speed against Froch could be the way to win but Froch is relentless and i think we will see a better Froch (like the one who turned up against Abraham) from now on since his lost to Kessler. Maybe a Froch who isn't so interested in keeping his hands low as if to suggest "This is easy!". I think we might see more urgency in his style like we saw with his big jab against Abraham.

Ward seemed to get into a tear up against Sakio Bika and i don't remember him being able to use too much of his skill and speed. I think he would want to avoid brawling with Froch. Also, Froch hurt Abraham with a lot of body shots in his last bout and i can't imagine Ward wants to be hit with too many of them.

I'm sticking with Froch. But, whoever wins, pushes Bute off the top spot.

I will end with that i think a Froch win would be best for boxing: A guy who hasn't had an easy fight for 3 years, who has traveled around Europe and USA to fight, who has a series of big wins.... Ward is arguably the antithesis of Carl Froch.

IMO Ward hasn't been properly tested in the S-6 thus far. I thought he caught a break in facing Kessler when Mikkel hadn't had a meaningful fight in quite some time, a similarly inactive Bika, and then you toss in a win over utterly useless entry Alan Green, who showed he had no business even being in the thing. That's hardly awe inspiring, especially when you didn't even have to leave Oakland to do it. Now he's going to get to stay in California for a fourth time and face the Tournaments biggest Dud in Abraham? I think the tough route will benefit Froch if they meet in the final, he's more battle tested.

IMO Ward hasn't been properly tested in the S-6 thus far. I thought he caught a break in facing Kessler when Mikkel hadn't had a meaningful fight in quite some time, a similarly inactive Bika, and then you toss in a win over utterly useless entry Alan Green, who showed he had no business even being in the thing. That's hardly awe inspiring, especially when you didn't even have to leave Oakland to do it. Now he's going to get to stay in California for a fourth time and face the Tournaments biggest Dud in Abraham? I think the tough route will benefit Froch if they meet in the final, he's more battle tested.

Wholeheartedly agree with this.

i think froch can out box, or out brawl ward. i haven't seen enough of wards fights that suggest he's chinny, but if he is froch can expose it.

i'm biased though...there are few fighters i truly cannot stand, and ward is one of them. whatever your thoughts of kessler are, ward has a win over him and at this stage that's pretty good. however it kills me that he's been tagged as some future superstar. god help boxing if someone as dull as ward is going to be the next PPV superstar.