Felix "Tito" Trinidad vs Floyd Mayweather

edsel77x

I seen the power of Tito and the boxing skills of Floyd but can he stand to take a punch from Tito?

What do you think and how do you think your pick would win?

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njrK6gPV_II?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njrK6gPV_II?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

Mayweather doing handstands. He has got the speed and skill in abundance for just a puncher like Trinidad.

It is no coincidence the guys he lost to were technichally better than him. He was getting well beaten by Hopkins before the KO. Winky beat him with ease, and some say Oscar blew it by taking the last few rounds off in their fight, thinking he had already won it.

Skill and technique wise Mayweather is easily up there with those guys. Just too clever for Tito.

Mayweathers speed would definitely give Tito a lot of problems, but I just can't get that Mosley righthand that shook up Mayweather last May out of my mind. Trinidad connects with just one of those and Floyd's going to be hard pressed to survive it. I'm thinking Floyd would win a decision, but surviving the full 12 without being on queer street at some point would be an accomplishment.

Mayweathers speed would definitely give Tito a lot of problems, but I just can't get that Mosley righthand that shook up Mayweather last May out of my mind. Trinidad connects with just one of those and Floyd's going to be hard pressed to survive it. I'm thinking Floyd would win a decision, but surviving the full 12 without being on queer street at some point would be an accomplishment.

Arnt we talking prime now though? Whos to say a younger Floyd would get caught with that shot that Mosely caught him with, plus mosleys quicker than trinidad imo. Your basing trinidad beating floyd on one big shot landed, I personnaly think too much was made of that shot, but thats due to the face we never see Mayweather caught like that which is a credit to him. Also for the record, I thought he showed a great recovery speed when he was caught clean

I'd favour Mayweather based on superior speed and footwork.As already mentioned,Trinidad did look limited against opponents that used movement.He's the type of fighter that needs an opponent to be stationary to really showcase his full offense.I can't imagine Mayweather ever fighting such a fight against somebody like Trinidad.

Wouldnt rule out Trinidad though.Winky Wright and Hopkins,in addition to their defense,were also big and strong enough not be overwhelmed by Trinidad.De La Hoya boxed well,but Trinidad had him on the run and not throwing anything in the latter rounds.He was a well conditioned fighter that knew how to really come on strong in a fight.

Tito was never as fast handed as Mosley, so the comparison with their respective punch power doesn't really exist. I see Mayweather making Tito miss all night to the point of exhaustion, possibly getting stopped late in the fight, due to not having the energy left to keep his hands up.

Arnt we talking prime now though? Whos to say a younger Floyd would get caught with that shot that Mosely caught him with, plus mosleys quicker than trinidad imo. Your basing trinidad beating floyd on one big shot landed, I personnaly think too much was made of that shot, but thats due to the face we never see Mayweather caught like that which is a credit to him. Also for the record, I thought he showed a great recovery speed when he was caught clean

Yeah, Brick, I think the big factor would be Floyd's speed and predicted him by Decision.......and your right that the single shot from Mosley stands out because it was about the only time we've seen Mayweather shaken. I think I should have said that it gave Trinidad some HOPE, but really when you think about it, not all that much.

Of all the opponent combinations these guys have fought, I would liken Mayweather most to Pernell Whittaker.

Tito schooled him, and romped to a wide UD, including a knockdown.

He had a pretty outstanding KO record in his career too, and I just don't see any way Floyd doesn't get caught.

As good as Floyd looks when we actually see him fight, he's fought noone of note at Welterweight or above, who may carry that sort of danger to his record.

There may be many legitimate or otherwise excuses, why this is the case, but am I the only one who really isn't convinced by Floyd yet?

It's difficult to knock the guy, because when he fights, he looks outstanding.

For me though, there will always be that lingering doubt about whether he could actually cut it with the best at 147.

When Trinidad eventually lost, it was at middleweight....a full 2 divisions higher than what would be regarded as his peak. At 147 lbs this guy was a monster, and almost unbeatable imo.

I can't think of many fighters who "could" beat the guy at 147 lbs, and I definitely don't give Floyd a chance.

Then again, is Floyd's real peak at 147 lbs, or did we see it at 135lbs, the last time he bothered to face a top level opponent in their prime?

• 4 weeks later...

No one on this earth would call Kevin Lueshing world class, yet he clipped Trinidad and dropped him, through speed of punch. I could see Mayweather doing that at least 4 times during the fight ( Trinidad had a shit chin, but good recovery powers ) then taking a couple of rounds off against the slower than a slug Tito.

Take Ali's pre fight piss take of the robotic Foreman, and apply it to Welterweight, and you have Trinidad. Too slow afoot to ever make Mayweather even think, much less worry.

Floyd isn't as puncher, so it's speculative at best to say he would knock down Trinidad 4 times....

He's had 2 knockouts above 140, both against light welterweights (Mitchell and Hatton).

The only person I can recall Floyd knocking down anything close to that frequency is a weight-drained and often-decked Corrales.

Like I say, the blueprint is already there in the Whittaker fight...

Mayweather fights nothing like Pernell. A totally different type of defence, and much better footwork than Sweet Pea.

As someone stated movers gave him problems, and Mayweather has never had stamina issues. Trinidad is unable to pin him down even if was over 15 rounds. He just gets picked off and disheartened.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Floyd would outbox Tito and i'd go as far as to say he'd do it easily.

Tito was a great fighter, i'm not knocking that, but as already mentioned he wasn't the hardest fighter to hit and he was never known for his speed or reflexes. Floyd would just do as Floyd does best and counter punch him all night. Far too slick for Tito with the Philly shell and the hand speed. If ODLH and Hopkins can outbox Tito then Floyd most definitely can as he's a better technical fighter than all the guys who beat Tito.

Floyd by wide UD.

Tito hardly looked "unbeatable" when Oscar defused him. It was more of a case of De la Hoya losing the fight (by giving away the championship rounds) rather than Trinidad winning it. Also, Whitaker was well passed his sell-by-date by the time Tito got to him.

Trinidad is a great fighter, but this his style doesn't match-up well here. Floyd wins a wide UD.

• 4 weeks later...
I think Tito wins on points. He had devastating power and fought several elite fighters in different weight classes. Tito beat some great fighters at 147lbs while Floyds' best wins at 147lbs are Hatton and Mosley. Styles make fights so Floyd would cause Tito problems but going by what they have accomplished i think Tito would win.