Is Sugar Ray Leonard the Greatest of All-Time?

WelshDevilRob

That video(as most youtube vids thjese days) is taking forever to cache for me, but I will say Robinson did everything Leonard could do and did it 40 years earlier. The one-punch knockout of Fullmer remains one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen ina boxing ring. Leonard was fantastic, but for me Robinson was better, and that's without having access to most of his welter career.

Don't get me started on this guy.

He waited for Hagler to get old. Fought a Duran that wasn't recovered from all the partying that he did after he won the first fight, and fought a desperate Duran in fight III cos the IRS were on Duran's back at the time. And then there was the Lalonde situation where Leonard made Lalonde weigh at a catchweight so he could become champ simultaneously at super-middle and light-heavy. And fought Hearns at 163lb in fight II.

In comparison to Ray Robinson or Ali, well....it doesn't need to be said.

Leonard was a glossy media darling, much like Mayweather. That's why I always say that Floyd is a Leonard imitator, as he's also a manipulator of the sport. So is Manny but on a less noticeable level.

He waited for Hagler to get old. Fought a Duran that wasn't recovered from all the partying that he did after he won the first fight, and fought a desperate Duran in fight III cos the IRS were on Duran's back at the time. And then there was the Lalonde situation where Leonard made Lalonde weigh at a catchweight so he could become champ simultaneously at super-middle and light-heavy. And fought Hearns at 163lb in fight II.

Leonard was a glossy media darling, much like Mayweather. That's why I always say that Floyd is a Leonard imitator, as he's also a manipulator of the sport. So is Manny but on a less noticeable level.

I don't think he can be accused of waiting for Hagler to get old. He had well documented eye problems and I believe drank heavily when retired causing the break up of his marriage.

It is rumoured he advised Donald Curry not to go after a Hagler fight because he was planning on going for the fight himself.

In one sense its a great shame we didn't get to see during those years off apart from the 1 comeback fight.

I don't think Floyd can compare as there are not names like Hearns, Benitez and Duran on his record.

I don't think he can be accused of waiting for Hagler to get old. He had well documented eye problems and I believe drank heavily when retired causing the break up of his marriage.

It is rumoured he advised Donald Curry not to go after a Hagler fight because he was planning on going for the fight himself.

In one sense its a great shame we didn't get to see during those years off apart from the 1 comeback fight.

I don't think Floyd can compare as there are not names like Hearns, Benitez and Duran on his record.

Rob, no, I didn't mean compare Floyd with Leonard in terms of achievements. In no way are they even similar. I meant how they are both manipulators of the sport.

he definitely waited for Marvin to get old and slower before he faced him. His retina problems were well documented at the time, and they didn't last 5 years. He was operated on before his comeback against Howard in 84.

He then embarked on a self promoting media mission, turning up unwanted at the fight venues of both Hagler and Hearns and spouting bullshit about coming out of retirement, or not. Thats where Mayweather gets all his shit from. Unlike him and Pakow though, Mayweather has never put weight restriction stips on an opponent. Beating " names " by demanding they weigh what you dictate doesn't mean shit as far as I'm concerned, better to not fight them if you cant win off a level playing field.

A good fighter for sure, but the best ever? Not in a million years, in fact not even top 5 who ever lived, could possibly struggle to make top ten.

• 2 weeks later...
Have to admit I love seeing the guy fight. Leonard was born in the ring. Or so it seems when you saw him at work. Next to ring generalship you could print Leonard's picture. The antics around the Hagler fight was shameful though.

he definitely waited for Marvin to get old and slower before he faced him. His retina problems were well documented at the time, and they didn't last 5 years. He was operated on before his comeback against Howard in 84.

He then embarked on a self promoting media mission, turning up unwanted at the fight venues of both Hagler and Hearns and spouting B*lls**t about coming out of retirement, or not. Thats where Mayweather gets all his shit from. Unlike him and Pakow though, Mayweather has never put weight restriction stips on an opponent. Beating " names " by demanding they weigh what you dictate doesn't mean shit as far as I'm concerned, better to not fight them if you cant win off a level playing field.

A good fighter for sure, but the best ever? Not in a million years, in fact not even top 5 who ever lived, could possibly struggle to make top ten.

The retina problems were documented but obviously fixed but his ex-wife says he had substance abuse problems which lead to their divorce and can also explain his time away from boxing. The theory of him waiting for Hagler too get old seems absurd and I don't believe it.

Tbh Mayweather shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Leonard - Mayweather hasn't the skills or level of competition to compare.

Tbh Mayweather shouldn't even be mentioned in the same breath as Leonard - Mayweather hasn't the skills or level of competition to compare.

I agree. Although Mayweather is tremendously talented, especially as a defensive fighter, he isn't even near the level of Leonard. Although I love all-out warriors like Hearns, Benn, Holyfield, Chacon...there's something about watching Leonard in the ring that's so natural and pleasing to the eye, it's really something special.

I agree. Although Mayweather is tremendously talented, especially as a defensive fighter, he isn't even near the level of Leonard. Although I love all-out warriors like Hearns, Benn, Holyfield, Chacon...there's something about watching Leonard in the ring that's so natural and pleasing to the eye, it's really something special.

Completely agree.

Mayweather is a fantastic fighter but as a Welterweight he has no chance against Leonard and hasn't fought anyone at the weight compared to who Leonard, a natural welter, fought.

Leonard had all the skills but while not being powerful, he was a vicious finisher. In boxing you hear the term 'killer Instinct' - with Leonard you got it.