Everyones "0" has to go

Ton

So following on from a topic already posted on here, I was thinking just that same fact the other day. It seems in recent months, many of our unbeaten hot fights are getting beat!

However, unlike it becoming a "trend" I think in recent years promoters especially are doing all they can to preserve their fighters' perfect records.

There will always be unbeaten fighters knocking around, but you get "booms" of perfect records in recognised fighters and right now, they are dwindling in numbers.

In recent weeks we have seen the likes of Berto, Lopez, Lemieux and Kirkland. These are just in recent weeks. In the last 12-18 months there has been many more.

As has been mentioned before, having a loss on your record is no big deal. Fighters come back from it again. Look at Ortiz after the Berto win this weekend. Cotto has been successful after a few losses, Mosley became the man after battering Margarito in a stacked division, even after 4 or 5 losses.

So out of the remaining more high profile fighters, who do you think will lose their 0 sooner rather than later, who dod you think will keep it for a good while and how do you think these folks will bounce back from that first loss?

Heavyweights

Alexander Povetkin 21(15)-0-0

Been touted for many years as the man to take over from the Klitschko's. Pulled out of a few fights against Wlad and been very inactive. Looks like he'll never step in with a Klitschko so his record might stay perfect for a good while yet.

Robert Helenius 15(10)-0-0

Announced himself on the heavyweight scene recently with a great knockout of Sam Peter. Looks strong and powerful, but have only seen him in the Peter fight.

Derek Chisora 14(9)-0-0

Was disappointed to see the Wlad fight fall through twice, but would have inevitably lost his 0 in that fight. There's plenty for him to think about domestically with 3 or 4 up and coming younger British heavyweights fats emerging on the scene.

British Heavies

Tyson Fury - 14(10)-0-0

Tom Dallas - 14(11)-0-0

David Price - 9(7)-0-0

Richard Towers 10(8)-0-0

All tall, rangy, young and powerful undefeated Brits. Who is your favourite to make it the furthest?

Cruiserweights

Alexander Frenkel 23(18)-0-0

Hard hitting German has been storming up the Cruiserweight ladder. Last out KO'd Enzo Mac devastatingly. Could come unstuck against top guys in the division?

Light Heavyweights

Tavouris Cloud 22(18)-0-0

American hope with impressive KO percentage. Holds wins over top class opposition in Clinton Woods, Glen Johnson and Julio Cesar Gonzalez. Holds the IBF belt and would look to unify in future. A tough division with Dawson, Pascal and Cleverly around.

Nathan Cleverly 21(10)-0-0

A new Welsh superstar to pick up where Joe Calzaghe left off. Been going about business steadily and picked it up since beating Tony Oakey in 2008, stopping 7 of his following 8 opponents winning his latest bout on points. Finished his University studies last year allowing himself to concentrate 100% on boxing. Stepping up to World Level next.

Zsolt Erdei 32(17)-0-0

Ageing Hungarian has fought all his career out of Germany until his most recent fight. Has fought relative unknowns, however has a recent win over Fragomeni previously only beaten by David Haye. At 36 how long does he have left and does he have the hunger to step up his opposition?

Super Middleweights

Lucian Bute 28(23)-0-0

Has been taking care of business nicely since Super Six began. Is seen at the top man in the division and awaits the winner of the S6 tournament. May continue his winning ways until he faces that person.

Andre Ward 23(13)-0-0

A suprise and only unbeaten fighter in the Super 6 classic. Has Mikkel Kessler on his list of scalps, who was arguably the favourite going into the S6. Slick and fast, Ward holds claim to be the top Super Middleweight in the World. Next up is hard hitting, but proven beatable Arthur Abraham.

James Degale 10(8)-0-0

Olympic Gold medalist and big British hope Degale has looked a world beater so far, claiming the British title in his 9th fight against veteran fighter Paul Smith. An emphatic win there puts paid to the lack of confidence in his abilities in the pro ranks as was first touted by the boxing masses. Face amateur rival George Groves next but is expected to win and become a World Champion in the next two year. Bags of ability, good power and technique and confidence to boot. Looks to be the UKs biggest boxing asset.

Middleweights

Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam 26(17)-0-0

Personally know nothing of this Frenchman but has built up a decent record. The middleweight division currently lacks strength in depth however Hassan will look to be stepping up and fighting the more recognised names in the division.

Dimitry Pirog 18(14)-0-0

Powerful Russian announced himself as a real contender knocking out American sensation Danny Jacobs last year on his American debut. Has won is 1 fight since then and will be looking to make a name for himself and light up this somewhat dormant division.

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr 42(30)-0-1

Son of his legendary namesake father, holds one of the longest unbeaten records in the sport. Has a long list of questionable opponents and needs to step up to the highest level to prove his worth. Holds a points win over tough Irishman John Duddy and scheduled to fight unbeaten German Sebastian Zbik next.

Matt Korobov 14(9)-0-0

Another highly touted Russian with brilliant technique and power. Looks to have the tools to go all the way, but is going nowhere in a hurry. Needs to be more active and step up his opposition to stamp him mark on the division screaming out for some excitement.

Darren Barker 22(14)-0-0

Londoner Barker has so far gone about things the right way, but is looking to step up to the next level. Hasn't fought in a year and looks to be in the shadow of countryman Mathew Macklin. Needs fights over the next 12 months to gear up for the step to World level. Potential domestic fights with Macklin and Martin Murray are ones to excite UK fight fans.

Light Middleweights

Saul Alvarez 36(26)-0-0

Mexican sensation being hyped as boxings next big thing. Still only 20 has had plenty of fights to date and holds impressive wins over seasoned veterans Carlos Baldomir and Lovemore N'Dou. Has done the business so far and has the tools to go all the way. Proved too much for Matthew Hatton last time out and faces newly resurgant Ryan Rhodes next.

Erislandy Lara 15(10)-0-1

Another fighter I am not overly aware of, the Cuban fighter has amassed a decent record in three years. Struggled last time out earning a draw against Carlos Molina who also held Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. A sign that he might fall short when stepping up to the next level?

Welterweight

Floyd Mayweather Jr 41(25)-0-0

Will he, won't he? Ever fight again? Ever fight Manny? A frustrating, annoyng, cocky fighter and person, Floyd has the tools to be the greatest fighter of a generation and be mentioned alongside the all time greats. Held titles in 5 weight divisions but has been very inactive for a few years, including a brief spell of retirement. Should continue winning until he hangs them up, until he comes face to face with Pacquiao maybe?

Mike Jones 24(18)-0-0

Another I know very little about, the American has built up an undefeated record. At 6ft he is a tall welterweight, will he use this to his advantage as he steps up to world level? Ranked number 2 by the WBO behind Britain's Kell Brook. With Manny Pacquiao likely to vacate the belt, could these two meet in the not too distant future for the title?

Kell Brook 23(16)-0-0

Superbly gifted fighter from the Ingle gym frequented by Prince Nazeem. Has plenty of skill and decent power but has been frustratingly inactive. Has recently left Frank Warren for Matchroom Sports Promotions headed by Barry Hearn. Despite his clear talent it has been suggested Kell has a poor attitude to training. Full of confidence he would give any welterweight problems on his day. Must remain focussed and committed, get fights under his belt and blast onto the World scene later in the year. Ranked number 1 by the WBO, he could face Mike Jones (ranked number 2) for the title vacated by Manny Pacquiao. A future fight against recently defeated Andre Berto is a mouth watering prospect.

Light Welterweight

Tim Bradley 27(11)-0-0

"Desert Strom" laid claim to be the top light welterweight in the world with his controversial win over Devon Alexander. Will be looking to face Britains Amir Khan in a title unification fight to find out who will be the undisputed champion. Quick and skillful, many suggest his lack of power could be his downfall, however his skills and workrate have won him all 27 of his fights to date. Following a successful test against Khan he runs out of options. A step up to welterweight could be on the cards.

Joan Guzman 30(17)-0-1

Veteran Guzman has been around forever and has held titles in 3 different weight divisions. Holds impressive wins vs Humberto Soto and Ali Funeka, but can he be as effective at the higher weight in his advanced years?

Ajose Olusegun 29(14)-0-0

Nigerian born and fighting out of London, Olusegun has looked scrappy and reckless at times but has always found a way to win. Been fighting at a very casual pace over the last ten years and impressively stopped Colin Lynes last year in a defence of his Commonwealth crown. May have found his level at Commonwealth/European level. Will struggle to keep winning if he was to step up.

Lightweight

Brandon Rios 27(20)-0-1

Rios has been another touted star of the future. Still only 24 he has amassed a decent record and has time on his side. Holds good wins over Miguel Acosta and Anthony Peterson who was unbeaten in 30 fights. The division is there for the taking once JuanMa Marquez hangs them up, however there are dangerous fighters in the divisions around lightweight.

John Murray 31(18)-0-0

A fighter in the Hatton mould, Mancunian Murray holds Britains longest undefeated record. He has always been in Amir Khan's shadow and has gone about things the right way winning the English, British and European belts as he looks to now move up to world level. A come forward fighter, he has decent power in both hands which is not reflected in his number of stoppage wins. He does all the basics well, however has been accussed of being one dimensional and lacking head movement. A mouth watering fight against fellow Brit Kevin Mitchell has been touted, which will be a great fight for British boxing. Murray may have bigger fish to fry in future but that fight will really test him on his way to world level. A little ambitious but Murray may very well attempt to go after Amir Khan since they never met during Khan's lightweight years.

Super Featherweight

Don't know any of the few undefeated in this divison.

Featherweight

Yoriorkis Gamboa 20(16)-0-0

Cuban superstar, Gamboa has been destined for greatness from the start. Aggressive, powerful and immensely skillful he has it all. With a mean look and explosive style, he can instill fear into any opponent much like Tyson in the 80's. With devastating power, not many see the final bell. A mouthwatering superfight against fellow banger JuanMa Lopez looks to have been derailed following the later's loss this weekend, however is still one for the future. There are still many tests for Gamboa in this divison and those around him, but can anyone live with his speed, power and skill?

Chris John 45(22)-0-2

The longest undefeated record in boxing today, Chris John has never tasted defeat since his debut in 1998. The Indonesian fighter has only ventured outside of his home country a few times, and outside of Asia only 3 times. For this reason, John is not as highly regarded as maybe he should be. Time is not on his side to make waves in the boxing world, and there are many hungry youngesters on the up also. Will John see out the remainder of his time fighting unknown fights in the comfort of his home country and see out a near prefect professional record?

Miguel Angel Garcia 25(21)-0-0

Unknown quantity to me, the American has amassed a good record and impressive KO percentage and is still only 23. Scored am impressive win last time out against previously unbeaten Matt Remillard. How will he fair stepping up to world level?

Lower Weight Classes

I know very little of the divisions below featherweight and so will just put the names of fighters and their records below.

Super Bantamweight

Wilfredo Vasquez Jr - 20(17)-0-1

Rico Ramos - 19(10)-0-0

Guillermo Rigondeaux - 8(6)-0-0

Bantamweight

Abner Mares - 21(13)-0-1

Shinsuke Yamanaka - 14(10)-0-2

Stuart Hall - 11(7)-0-1

Phew, that took WAY too long! I have an assignment to do!!!

Great list and topic - Ton.

Right I'll go through them by Division.

Heavyweights

Povetkin - I think he beats Mormeck if they meet and stays undefeated for the year and depending on the Heavyweight scene next year he could remain unbeaten for quite awhile. I rate him as the 4th best Heavyweight right now.

Robert Helenius - I think he beats Dimitchenko, if they meet as has been suggested. He has plenty of time and could wait til after the Klitschko's go or pick up a Heavyweight Vacant belt (If Haye wins his fights this year and retires). Think he stays unbeaten for a long time.

Derek Chisora - I actually see him beating Tyson Fury (so his 0 will go soon). Chisora is a decent enough fighter but will fall short at World level. So I'd expect him to lose sometime next year.

The other three are relative novices and I expect them to go unbeaten for awhile - be interesting to see who develops into the better fighter.

Tony the "trend" article was taking the piss, talking about it being cool for young fighters ;-)

How about adding Masternak for your Cruiserweights and Golovkin for your Middleweights?

At super feather you have champion Uchiyama 17-0 and prospect Broner 20-0

Lower down you also have Roman Gonzalez, Joyi, Narvaez, Drian Hernandez (who looks freaking awesome) and a few others

I think Dallas is the best British heavyweight TBH.

Hey Sad, I knew it was a piss take buddy, which is why I thought I'd start an actual debate of it ;)

I only really mentioned the fighters I was more aware of, so I know there will be more, especially lower down that should be mentioned. But you can talk about them in your responses ;)

Obviously there are loads of factors involved when suggesting who will keep their 0 the longest, things like if they are willing to go after the best etc. But that is all part of the debate.

Could anyone make a case for which of the fighters mentioned will go the longest unbeaten from here on in?

Cruiserwight

Alexander Frenkel 23(18)-0-0

I was unimpressed with him when reviewing tape of him before the Enzo Mac fight but watching him beat Enzo I was impressed - stunning KO but he is still pretty immobile.

I think he'd come up short against someone like Lebedev but he has a great chance against Marco Huck.

I'll say that he will lose is unbeaten tag.

Super Middleweights

Lucian Bute 28(23)-0-0

Very talented but fighting lower level competition. He will lose as I am not convinced by him at the very top. I'd back Kessler, Froch and Ward to beat him.

Andre Ward 23(13)-0-0

He's on a roll and until he fights out of his backyard we will know more. Talented but very dirty fighter. I don't believe he's as good as the hype machine suggests. If he was fighting Joe Calzaghe then he'd get beat but Bute and froch may not be upto the job - I think he will struggle more with Froch (50/50 fight)

James Degale 10(8)-0-0

I'm backing underdog George Groves to beat him again. (Groves won in the ams)

DeGale has all the talent but needs a little wake up call and I'm sure he will bounce back. If he beats Grove then its a case of how long FW can slow him down as he still needs to develop.

I honestly think in Drian Francisco we have a mega talent, he's the WBA interim champion at Super Flyweight, 20-0-1 (16), 28 year old Filipino who defends his title against Tepparith Singwancha on May 1st. His only black mark was very controversial, a technical draw in round 4 of a fight he was completely dominating. Last time out he beat Duangpetch Kokietgym.

Some of his highlights here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlT77roIUxY

Heavyweight:

Povetkin has frustrated me to the point I can't say I care any more

Helenius is the top of those mentioned

Though Glazkov is my tip for long term success at heavyweight

I still like Kubrat Pulev to make a mark on the division as well.

Cruiserweight

Frenkel seems to have great power though will it take him to the top? I'm not sure. Lateef Kayode (16-0, 14) has the same problem imo, all power no skills to back it up if/when a plan B is needed.

Mateusz Masternak (22-0, 16KO's) looks the real deal though, incredibly good fighter fast hands and can do it all, perhaps lacks a lil snap though will probably grow stronger as he gets older.

Light Heavyweight:

Erdei won't have a serious test lets be honest, he'll retire with his 0 intact

I actually have Breahmer beating Cleverly tbh, Nathan likes to trade too much and against the German this could be a costly decision. Cloud looks like he's all power and seems very beatable if you can take his power. Glen Johnson came close but showed his age in their fight.

Ismayl Sillakh (15-0, 12) seems tipped for great things, whilst Luis Garcia (11-0, 9) is also a class act

Super Middleweight:

I feel Ward is the best though the win over Kessler was flattering, Bute is getting on and perhaps needs a big fight in the next 24 months.

Tips for the top Gilberto Ramirez Sanchez (16-0, 14) and Marco Antonio Periban (12-0, 9), 2 unbeaten Mexicans that have a couple of very good wins each.

Middleweight:

Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam 26(17)-0-0-Pretty good though given a torrid time by Khurtsidze, and was apparently found with sanitary pad in a glove in one fight

Dimitry Pirog 18(14)-0-0 Good solid fighter though was made to look very average by Maciel last time out

Julio Cesar Chavez Jr 42(30)-0-1 -I like the guy, mainly because everyone hates him, but he is distinctly average at best

Matt Korobov 14(9)-0-0 -being brought along slowly but talented

Darren Barker 22(14)-0-0 -European level imo, the division might not be great but Barker isn't either

Gennady Golovkin 20(17)-0 -Monster, hopefully he'll be let off the leash at some point

Light Middleweight

Saul Alvarez is still for me a work in progress, powerful but looks defensively poor, lets give him a few more years

Lara looks stupidly lazy and is there to be beaten by a fringe contender, has called out Williams, who will beat the snot out of him

Vanes Martirosyan (29-0, 18) top rank fighter being angles to a title fight, not a fan but he is pretty good

Austin Trout (22-0, 13) paper title holder, beat Saul's brother last time out and no scheduled to face David Lopez

John Jackson (10-0, 9) The son of Julian Jackson, 22 years old, pretty exciting talent

Welterweight

Viacheslav Senchenko (31-0) paper title holder, gets another easy defense soon

Brad Solomon (17-0) wonderfully gifted fighter, ex-con who has turned his life around and beat clearly D-Hop last time in a dull fight

Selcuk Aydin (21-0, 16) Turkish power puncher, has little skill and is there to be beaten, was lucky against Jo Jo dan

Shawn Porter (18-0) very good US fighter, reminds me of Andre Berto but with a bit more skill

Wale Omotoso (18-0) not seen him but heard plenty of really good things about him. Australian based hard puncher

Thomas Dulorme (11-0, 10) scored a ko seen around the world against Harrison Cuello, many are calling him the future of PR boxing

Sadam Ali (12-0) brilliant prospect, has a lot of upside, fast, talented, may lack true power though he is getting stoppages

Light Welterweight

Jessie Vargas (15-0) is seen as a mega prospect and is 21

You also have Bradley, Mike Alvarado, and Cesar Rene Cuenca (40-0-0-2)

Lightweight

Rios is top of the class, really good, exciting young hard hitting fighter

Murray I feel is there for the taking, he's not moved forward like many had hoped and he's taking un-needed long term damage with the number of shots he takes

Sharif Bogere (19-0) is an exciting prospect with a growing following due to his unique entrance

Super Feather

Takashi Uchiyama decent champion, good power

Nakamura (12-0, 12) hopefully he'll live upto his potential, hard hitting exciting young japanese fighter

I'll add some more another time :-)

True Murph. And that's the point of the article. There are some high profile undefeated guys at the top of their divisions, so it's a case of are they that good that they will keep their 0 while challenging themselves. Or will they pick safe opponents to prolong their perfect records!!

Sorry Ton. where was i?

Oh Super Feather and below

Adrien Broner (20-0, 16), beat Ponce last time out (controversial) very good youngster but needs more fights to develop

Luis Cruz (18-0, 14) beat Martin Honorio last time out, one of many rising fighters from PR

Eloy Perez (21-0-2) decent fighter but not one I've managed to get excited about

Carlos Ivan Velasquez (13-0, 11) VERY promising fighter, another one from PR. Not fought in a while though

Feather:

Chris john and Yuri Gamboa are the obvious ones

Mickey Garcia (25-0, 21) very good prospect/contender, really one to watch, likely to be maneuvered into an IBF title fight

Chonlatarn Piriyapinyo (37-0, 21) relatively unknown thai, fights Justin Savi in June in a WBC eliminator

Lorenzo Villanueva (20-0, 19, 1 ND) odd looking ND onn his record, talented, young and worth remembering about

Super Bantam

Rico Ramos (19-0, 10) slowly stepping up his quality of opponents though could be a fringe contender end of this year

Teon Kennedy (17-0-1) recent took the 0 of the hotly tipped Jorge Diaz

Scott Quigg (21-0, 14) top British prospect

Christopher Martin (21-0-2) very talented, very under-rated and very unlikely to take many steps forward

Bantamweight

Abner Mares (21-0-1)

Tomoki Kameda (18-0, 12) brother of Daiki and Koki, born in Japan but based in Mexico

Super Fly

Oscar Andres Narvaez (34-0-2) WBO champion, former champion at the weight below, beat PR power puncher Cesar Seda last week

Drian Francisco I spoke about last time, AMAZING talent

Leo Santa Cruz (15-0-1) stopped Stephane Jamoye

Hirofumi Mukai (5-0) unknown jap, beat Sonny Boy Jaro last time out

Fly

Milan Melindo (24-0) holds a win over Muhammad Rachman (WBA miniweight champion)

Froilan Saludar (11-0-1, 8) This guy is tremendous! Seriously try catching some of this Pinoy's fights.

Light fly

Roman Gonzalez (28-0, 21) multiple weight champion, talented and exciting, 23 year old from Nicaragua

Jose Rodriguez (25-0, 15) don't know much about him sorry

Mini fly

Kazuto Ioka (7-0, 4) world champion

Paipharob Kokietgym (15-0, 13) relatively unknown Thai

Fernando Ocon (6-0) 20 year old, Pinoy, took a few 0's already facing a 16-0-1 guy next

Lots of others :-)

Throw in my boy Nakamura at lightweight / Super Featherweight with 12 KO's in 12 fights, and it makes for an interesting division.

There are plenty of guys in that list who have simply not been tested and will be found out soon enough.

Dallas is my pick of the British heavyweights too, but his defence is literally non-existant.

He has the best RANGE of punching of all the guys up there though, and despite age not being on his side, he shouldn't have too long to go before he's plying his trade on a whole new level! ;)

Nakamura does sound impressive, but how many of those 12 have been tough tests? Still impressive to have get each and everyone out of there.

Like you I like Dallas of the Brit heavies, but at the same time Price looks a solid lump!

• 2 weeks later...
I won't mention any undefeated boxers as it seems people have already done a good job of naming a lot. I tend to just think that boxers who have lost deserve more respect than those who haven't as a general rule. Most boxers who are undefeated after 30 or so fights are undefeated for a reason and that is poor competition.

• 1 month later...