GGG in talks with Froch over Wembley fight

[h=1]Carl Froch and Gennady Golovkin in talks for Wembley fight with Brit 'interested' in taking on unbeaten KO king[/h]

• Gennady Golovkin would go to 168lbs in order to fight Britain's Carl Froch
  • Froch could retire but promoter Eddie Hearn says his fight is 'intrigued'
  • Golovkin is 33-0 while Froch has fought since knocking out George Groves
  • Froch has said he won't fight the winner of James DeGale and Andre Dirrell
  • The IBF super-middleweight title duel is on Saturday night in Boston, USA

Carl Froch is being tempted by a farewell fight as dangerous as it would be financially massive.

Gennady Golovkin, the Kazakh KO king, is willing to step up from middleweight to take on Britain’s two-time world super-middleweight champion in what could be another Wembley Stadium extravaganza.

Froch, who will be a commentator on Sky Sports' broadcast of his fellow countryman James DeGale’s IBF super-middleweight title duel with Andre Dirrell in Boston on Saturday night, has announced he will only box again if a match can be made which excites his interest.

He says: ‘I’ve now spoken with Carl directly about this and he is interested. I only want him to take it if he’s genuinely motivated because it is a high-risk fight.

‘But it would be massive and we can fill Wembley again. Given Carl’s interest, we have already opened negotiations with Golovkin’s people and they are very keen.’

Golovkin, the world middleweight champion widely regarded as the heir apparent to Floyd Mayweather as the greatest pound-for-pound fighter on earth, boasts an unbeaten record of his own which stands at 33-0.

His 30th knock-out victory, achieved with a sixth round stoppage of Willie Monroe last Saturday, gives him the highest KO percentage in the history of the classic middleweight division.

So wary of Golovkin are the other leading middleweights that he is willing to go up in weight to find the marquee fight he craves.

His promoter, Tom Loeffler, tells Boxing Scene: ‘We’ve told Froch’s promoter Eddie Hearn that Gennady will go to 168lbs to fight Carl in what would be a tremendous fight. But it is not clear whether Carl will retire or fight again.’

Initially Hearn was urging Froch to resist the temptation: ‘Golovkin is the most feared fighter in the world now and Carl doesn’t need this fight. But he says he is intrigued by how he would deal with him. He’s crazy that way.’

Froch, now 37, has not fought since knocking out George Groves in front of an 80,000 crowd at Wembley almost a year ago and is close to hanging up the gloves.

But Golovkin offers a huge pay-day and the prospect of a spectacular finale to his career.

Froch has already confirmed that he is not interest in fighting Saturday night’s winner in Boston be it DeGale or Dirrell, who he outpointed in Nottingham.

Though he does say that he expects DeGale to win and hopes that he ‘does a number on Dirrell who keeps claiming that he was robbed in our fight even though all he did was run and hold.’

DeGale promises to oblige, saying: ‘This is my time now. I’m faster, tougher and better than Dirrell and ready to take him out.’

Source: Daily Mail

Re: GGG in talks with Froch over Wembley fight

GGG turning into some sort of a boxing-whore. I'm rapidly losing respect. He's willing to weight-drain himself to fight Floyd and now, we hear he's willing to juice up to destroy Froch.

Be interesting to see what sort of testing is agreed for this one, if any, as gaining half a stone of muscle in a few months is impossible for any natural bodybuilder. Half a stone of fat or water = easy.

The only good thing to come of this, of course, is to see Froch's sad career ended flat down on his face dribbling onto the canvas and is surely worth the ticket price on its own regardless of any undercard.

Is it really impossible though Selij? I'm not so sure, I think it can be done but I also think it has to be over a certain amount of time to add on the right muscle so that he doesn't loose his power and speed.

Even an intermediate bodybuilder on gear will be stretched to gain 7lb of pure muscle in a year. Nvm a few months. (A beginner on his very 1st steroid cycle may gain a stone or more of muscle in a year, but will never repeat this).

I suspect the reason he's happy to fight Froch is the fact Froch is a small Super Middleweight, so GGG just won't drop the water weight as he does and both will be very similar in weight come fight night.

This, of course.

Even if this weren't so, it's not like Golovkin would be looking to put on additional muscle. Where did THAT concept come from. He'd fight Froch at SMW, but then go back to MW again.

And MAN, what a bloody maychup if it happens! I can understand Froch's mentatitty on this: If he wins, he of course retires a boxing legend (everyone will forget the Ward loss.) - but even if he loses, it will have been to the ferocious Golovkin, and at 37 years old no less, so he loses no respect at all. In fact he would GAIN respect in the loss, just for having the balls to take the fight at all.

Plus, dem' boys gonna' get PAID. And how.

He doesn't have to gain 7lbs of anything - he currently weighs in as a middleweight between 159 and 160lbs. The supermiddleweight limit is anything above 160 up to 168lbs. Gain a pound, weigh in, problem solved.

He doesn't have to gain 7lbs of anything - he currently weighs in as a middleweight between 159 and 160lbs. The supermiddleweight limit is anything above 160 up to 168lbs. Gain a pound, weigh in, problem solved.

... Divisions DON'T have a minimum limit! A number of examples out there that show it... However it's rare that fighters come in under the upper boundary of the previous divisions

A rare example -

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=623886

And another one here

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=669624

Just asked the boxrec editors to take a look at this one for clarification (see the super Flyweight title bout)

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=579372

Ming vs Seran as well

http://boxrec.com/show_display.php?show_id=703745

... Divisions DON'T have a minimum limit! A number of examples out there that show it... However it's rare that fighters come in under the upper boundary of the previous divisions

I thought it was generally part of the commission or governing body's rules?

From what I understand the commission MAY enforce some sort of safety (the JBC for example did make sure Ishida was over a certain weight prior to the first Fujimoto fight) but it certainly doesn't appear to be a hard and fast "must be above the previous division" rule as many seem to think.

I think there was another notable recent example but in can't remember where it was. I assume Thailand or Philippines where it happens more frequently than it does in the West.

The WBC have a extraordinary weigh in rule and state they will look at the fat tissue of a fighter if they feel a fighter is at risk due to fighting in a division they shouldn't be fighting in (rule doesn't appear to be I effect for Chris Arreola... Oooh burn!)

It'd certainly be an interesting fight.

GGG, for all his power and talent, gets hit an awful lot. Against a strong, but more importantly awkward, boxer like Froch thats gonna prove difficult to just walk through as he does at the moment.

Froch has an underrated jab and is able to keep people at distance. Not saying its the same at all, but there is a strong possibility that it could go the way of Froch/Abraham with Froch keeping him at a distance all night and not allowing GGG to get his shots off.

I'd certainly pay to see how this would unfold.

GGG turning into some sort of a boxing-whore. I'm rapidly losing respect. He's willing to weight-drain himself to fight Floyd and now, we hear he's willing to juice up to destroy Froch.

Be interesting to see what sort of testing is agreed for this one, if any, as gaining half a stone of muscle in a few months is impossible for any natural bodybuilder. Half a stone of fat or water = easy.

The only good thing to come of this, of course, is to see Froch's sad career ended flat down on his face dribbling onto the canvas and is surely worth the ticket price on its own regardless of any undercard.

--- OK, we get it. You hate Froch and GGG with a peculiar animosity towards sluggers fighting top comp, and now possibly each other.

Like I stated before, you've already been proven wrong as I demonstrated in my test several years ago, then in my mid 50s never having done any appreciable weight training except during the 6 months before I turned 15 where the gains were amazing as would be expected during a growth/maturation "spurt." Mid 50s, trained two routines alternating Monday through Saturday for a full body workout before resting on Sundays using old school Healthways exercises and training guidance with a couple of my own creations thrown in for good measure. In 4 months I'd gained 15 lb, or ten percent of my normal, lean walking around weight. I've kept it on too with only minor, irregular weight training since. My extra nutrition consisted of an extra portion of meat or extra egg in my relatively modest comsumption of meat diet, whoop, whoop! It ain't a stretch to think a modern athlete under massive nutritional control and advanced weight training couldn't gain a paltry 7 lbs in 3 months or even two.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. GGG could chose to just train with his normal routine and weighin at his current ring"fighting" weight, approx 168 lbs just to get you howling at the moon again over what you are clearly clueless about...:smiley-signs097:

Great fight.i think froch can give him a run for his money.but i'd still pick GGG to win.

--- I'd pick GGG also at this point, but we'll see a different, more boxing mode GGG than we've ever seen.

I certainly don't dismiss Froch who is justly considered the best current supermiddle fighting.

You hate Froch and GGG

No, just Froch - I like GGG, and wish him all the best - he's struggling to make any serious dollar and I have every sympathy with that.

In 4 months I'd gained 15 lb

Doing an all-over body routine? Naturally? And in your 50s?? Come on old son..........I didn't come up on the last banana boat. I've been training myself over 30 years and have been honing other people's physiques for over 20 years, amateurs and pros - both natural lads and steroid-assisted lads. I have never, ever seen anyone gain over a stone of muscle in 4 months, naturally. Fatty tissue + water retention = yes. Muscle = no. :nono:

Or if you truly did, you've missed your vocation - you should have been challenging the IFBB pros for the Olympia in your 30's.

Or if you truly did, you've missed your vocation - you should have been challenging the IFBB pros for the Olympia in your 30's.

Huh - all these years I've been ragging on him because of his apparent superiority complex; turns out he really is the ubermensch:noidea:

Doing an all-over body routine? Naturally? And in your 50s?? Come on old son..........I didn't come up on the last banana boat. I've been training myself over 30 years and have been honing other people's physiques for over 20 years, amateurs and pros - both natural lads and steroid-assisted lads. I have never, ever seen anyone gain over a stone of muscle in 4 months, naturally. Fatty tissue + water retention = yes. Muscle = no. :nono:

--- My dearest, I don't have a body builder's natural skeletal dimensions to make the cartoon like appearance so esteemed in body building, nor do I have the cartoon mentality to aspire to the sordid lowlife of Arnie or the silly putty Rocky who couldn't fight a lick to save his HGH life if push came to shove.

I just know what I know and know there are those of us out there who don't fit in the mold of what we're told we have to be. Really, gaining 15 lbs was quite easy since I was already in excellent overall condition and I gotta kick out of strutting around on the extra dose of testa a heavy weight routine stimulates. As a matter of fact only last year I near set a world record for a broken field 400 meter sprint up a grade to chase down a bus at the stop before he could leave. It's nothing I ever trained for and I attribute a big shot of adrenaline as I just had to catch that bus or my timing for the rest of the day was ruined. Later I went down to the local track to pace myself over 400 meters since that's the most painful sprint of all. I felt much slower and didn't have a stopwatch, so used my cell phone to tell me when a minute was up and it came at 300 meters, meaning all I needed was 15 sec to make a 75 sec time in a much slower run. I figure I did the first run at at least 65 sec, and likely 60 sec the way I was moving which ain't bad for a broken field run through rough terrain and up a grade.

But, sure, it's past your capability and mine too until I did it, so it's impossible, see how that goes...:smiley-signs107:

Like a previous poster said, it doesn't matter what weight GGG comes in at, so long as he's under 168. I think this might happen. I got a strong impression from Froch on tv last week that he was fancying taking this fight. GGG said after his fight that he wants Canelo or Cotto - they will fight each other, leaving GGG high and dry. I think this might happen. Despite size difference I think GGG would beat Froch.